PDA

View Full Version : Shadow without light intensity...

Dirtvic
01-02-2012, 11:31 AM
hello.. everyone....
Happy new year to all....:) have a blessed year...

here is the first post of mine of 2012..:)

I wanted to know that i want a light to cast 'shadow only' means no intensity..how can i do that??....i forget..:(

I am using Maya and render engine is mental ray...:)

thanks

gregjenings
01-02-2012, 04:39 PM
reduce the light intensity to zero or generate shadow pass only.

Dirtvic
01-02-2012, 05:28 PM
but if i Zero the light intensity then their will be no shadows.......a black render preview...

If i try a pass then how can i know where my shadows ....if their is no render preview.....

gregjenings
01-03-2012, 12:52 AM
It's better if you go through the documentation first everything is in there as I suppose you are new to Maya, this is better way to start.

Dirtvic
01-03-2012, 04:49 AM
now i know the reason why its showing the black render preview....i switch the intensity to ZERO....at the same time the color of shadows is default black in spot light so its not showing the shadows as their no no intensity...then i change it to white and switch of the primary visibility and receive shadow of the object thats casting the shadows.....from render stats........

u didn't mention it see....

LowJacK
01-03-2012, 05:29 PM
Provided you have other lights in your scene and you want a light to just cast a shadow....

Turn the light intensity to zero and the shadow color HSV to 0,0,-1.

CGTalk Moderation
01-03-2012, 05:29 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.