PDA

View Full Version : Linux version...any news?

Crumply
11-13-2003, 10:01 PM
Eyeon announced a Linux version of Fusion in April, but I haven't heard any more since then? Anyone have a new news regarding this?

Hugh
11-14-2003, 12:31 AM
The following was (accidentally) sent to the PigsFly Digital Fusion mailing list about 8 hours ago....:

Our implementation of the Linux port is based on a third party library system that provides us with the standard windows dialogs and functions expected by Fusion. This is the same library and technique that Softimage used during their port.

So at the moment, the library is known to be rock solid with RH 7.3, and I would rather be testing in an environment where I can be reasonably certain we are looking at Fusion problems. Once we get to a certain point I may start looking at the Fusion under other environments. Certainly we will evaluate RH 8 when I get a chance.

Custom kernels are likely not a problem, but we can't assure that in every case. It really depends on HOW custom. A few tweaks to memory handling are probably not a big deal. A kernel patch to allow implementation of a radical new filesystem is likely a bigger problem.

X will be required to run the node for certain - more specifically we haven't tested under any window manager but GNOME at this point. I have anecdotal evidence that indicates we do not work under KDE at the moment.

I can not say when or even if any of these things are likely to change - we are really only focused on making sure Fusion works properly in the most reccomended environment first.

I will be sending out Initial release notes to the selected beta testers, including download links, within the hour.

Thanks
Isaac Guenard
Product Manager - eyeon Software

So basically yes - it's getting there, and is just going into beta testing stage at the moment....

alphatron
11-15-2003, 07:47 AM
I find it odd that it only works in Gnome when KDE is the standard.

RealThing
11-16-2003, 05:19 PM
There is no Standard desktop in linux. Redhat's default window manager is Gnome...since they are aiming to support Redhat 7.3 the logic makes a bit more sense. SuSE on the other hand defaults to KDE but, generally speaking in linux there's nothing preventing anything from working on any other windows manager given that the proper libraries are installed. On my linux box I primarily run KDE and Fluxbox but I also have Gnome installed but rarely use it. I have no problems running Gnome or KDE apps under any of the window managers.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.