PDA

View Full Version : Building first model, not a clue

Kitutal
12-31-2011, 01:36 PM
Having completed a couple of tutorials and gotten bored of reading through pages of technical details without any more actual practical projects to be working on, I have decided to jump right in and create a simple 3D model by myself. I have a nice simple drawing I had done of a leopard, just the basic outline, and have set this as the background image, so I can trace over it. A series of cubes of different sizes, many of them distorted into different shapes, until I have a pretty reaonable blocky shape of the leopard's body. Going quite well, but then I decide I want it to have a smooth curved outline, set it to have a curved subsurface just like in the tutorial, and of course it treats each cube as though a separate object and gives me a pile of balls. Trying to extrude the shape out of a single cube worked even less, giving me a very rough shape carved out of a solid block and then with corners smoothed off.
So, clearly I have gotten this totally wrong, and haven't the slightest clue how to make a model that isn't flat. Is there any way of getting my original attempt to be treated as a single object with a single curved edge, and if not, how should I have been doing it? Is there a step by step guide for how to do such a thing as this?
~Oliver

paulo_gomes
01-04-2012, 08:33 PM
hi, take a look here:
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro#Table_of_Contents

CGTalk Moderation
01-04-2012, 08:33 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.