PDA

View Full Version : Command Line rendering

govindk
12-30-2011, 10:18 PM
Hey guys,

A small doubt here. I have both Maya '11 and Maya '12 installed.
I generally use Maya '11 and Maya '12 I use only for DMM plug-in.
Before I installed Maya '12, while rendering fluids I used to close Maya '11 after setting everything in the render globals and 'right click' on the scene icon that I saved and select render on the right click menu. The command line render used to pop up and render my scene. I do this to save my RAM usage.

But nowadays when I try to do that, even if the file is saved my Maya '11 the command line renderer uses Maya '12. I don't want it to render in Maya '12 but in the good old Maya '11. What command do I need to write for that in the command line editor?
I simply used to show the directory and type Render and sceneName, until I discovered the right click option.
Please help.

Thank You
and HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL

Bitter
12-30-2011, 10:46 PM
When you install a newer version of Maya it adds itself to the registry as the new default. You can alter that in there and check you system path (assuming windows btw)

Why not render in 2012? There have been substantial improvements to mental ray.

govindk
12-31-2011, 08:53 AM
yes I use windows 7.

"I don't mind using Maya '12 to render but will the files that has been worked and saved on Maya '11, render on Maya 2012's command line? "

If it does, then of course I've no problem. I will be more than happy. 'cause after waking up next day I don't want to have any surprises from Maya, because of me being a moron. And 6 to 8 hours of my render time will go down the drain.

I use Maya '11 for certain plug-ins that hasn't been out for Maya 2012 yet from creative crash.

Also, I assume the file when rendering will be read by Maya 2012, so will I be able to open it back in Maya 2011.
'cause .mb file doesn't read in Maya 2011 if saved in Maya 2012.

Bitter
12-31-2011, 08:59 AM
If you have a plugin that is being used during render for just Maya 2011 then the 2012 render will fail.

Anything "baked" might be fine.

A test render might be in order. Or you can just edit the default file registry.

govindk
12-31-2011, 09:03 AM
I think I will do a test render like you suggested.

Nope, no plug-ins used while rendering. Just some modeling ones, that's all.
Thnx for the replies. :)

By the way great blog. :beer:

CGTalk Moderation
12-31-2011, 09:03 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.