PDA

View Full Version : I made a mistake.. (Also, I need help with choosing a good uni)

Doreo
12-23-2011, 07:21 PM
Hi!

This is my first post in this forum, so let me introduce myself:

My name is Dor, I'm 17, and I only recently found out that art and 3D Modelling is extremely awesome! Well, I always loved art, but never did it at school, only at home when bored, and not very often, but I did it, and I loved it.

Last summer when trying to figure out what I want to do in life (since I'm in Grade 12 now) I figured out that I love Video Games and Movies, and decided that I want to make them. And so, I tried 3D modelling for the first time and absolutely loved it! Every time I learn something new I get all excited about it and it's just feeling great to model!

OK... last night I had a panic attack and that resulted to whatever nonsense was here yesterday. But now that I'm more relaxed I'll make more sense:

In the middle of the application process to VFS I found out about what it really is like through all the reviews I didn't bother to read before I realized it's too good to be true. (that made me have the panic attack that was the original post).

I've been looking at other universities and Think Tank Training Centre and Lost Boys Studios and both actually looked excellent but I'm not sure about applying to them quite yet. The reason is that I'm not sure if I'm old enough for them. I looked at the different qualifications studios like Pixar or gaming companies look for and they all ask for a Bachelors degree. The thing is, I want to become a 3D Modeller (because it's so much fun! and I get excited every time I make something new or learn something I did not know before!).

So my questions are:
1) Are there any bachelors degrees for 3D Modelling offered in universities in Canada or Australia? (if not, what about the US or UK?) Should I do a BA in art or another subject and then only go to TTTC etc. for the modelling part?

2) Do I even need a Bachelors degree or would studying in places like TTTC do (get me a job that is)? this is connected to the first question since I did not find any BAs in 3D Modelling, they are all in animation etc.

3) If the question for 2 is negative (that is, I do not need a BA). Would me being only almost 19 when hypothetically graduating from a one year course in, for example, TTTC, matter?

I think this is it.

Thanks a bunch, and hope you have a merry Christmas/Hanukkah/anything else celebrated during this time of the year,

Dor :)

Meloncov
12-24-2011, 07:55 PM
Very few studios care if you have a degree, however, a degree makes it far easier to work internationally.

Academy of Art University is the only school I know with a dedicated modeling degree, but their are numerous schools where you can major in animation or computer art with a focus in modeling. Alternately, studying traditional art during your bachelors than going to a technical program is viable path too.

Doreo
12-24-2011, 08:43 PM
Hey,

Thanks for the response!

but their are numerous schools where you can major in animation or computer art with a focus in modeling.

Can you give me any examples?

Most of the universities I checked (like Sheridan for example) had the Animation bachelors degree without a modelling path :/

Meloncov
12-24-2011, 08:54 PM
I'm only really familiar with U.S. schools, but you see a lot of people specializing in modeling coming out of SVA, Ringling, RIT, and SCAD. Also most Game Art and Design programs feature a lot of modeling. Really, though, I haven't seen any degree programs that are particularly great for modelers.

Doreo
12-24-2011, 08:56 PM
Aumm what about universities in Canada or other places in the world? (mainly Canada though, I really want to study there).

I wish I could study in the US but it's so expensive there... so I'm trying to look at other places :)

Dare-o
12-25-2011, 12:58 AM
Aumm what about universities in Canada or other places in the world? (mainly Canada though, I really want to study there).

I wish I could study in the US but it's so expensive there... so I'm trying to look at other places :)

Gobelins in France has great student work they show each year, you could check that school out. I'm pretty sure they have a modeling program alongside their 3d animation courses.

Doreo
12-25-2011, 01:20 AM
Well it's all in French so I can't really understand anything :/

Forget about Modelling for now though. What would you suggest I should study before going to study in places like TTTC? They are teaching modelling from scratch there already but should I come with a lot of experience or what?

I'm planning on either staying in Canada or move to the US. I've been looking at different gaming studios (Bethesda Softworks, Ubisoft etc.) or animation studios (Pixar/Blue Sky/Dreamworks) and most ask for
Bachelor's degree (B.A.) from a four-year college or university;
or
BA in Fine Arts
etc. etc.

Problem is, I don't have a lot of experience in fine arts, nor do I have a big portfolio (you can see my anatomy drawings in my portfolio here in CGTalk) that would help me be accepted into one.

So I just want help with clearing things up... How important is a BA degree if I want to study in Canada and work in Canada or maybe move to the US? If I don't really need a BA degree what would be an alternative?

If you reckon a BA would be useful, and that having a BA in Fine Arts would be an absolute advantage, where would you recommend a person with out a lot of experience in Fine Arts but with an ambition and love of art to go?

leigh
12-25-2011, 01:30 AM
I don't want to sound rude or unhelpful, but honestly - all your questions have already been covered many, many times in other threads in this forum. If you did a search, you'd find more than enough information to get you started.

A little bit of initiative goes a long way. In fact, it's the people who take initiatives who are the ones who succeed in this field.

CGTalk Moderation
12-25-2011, 01:30 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.