PDA

View Full Version : Questions about microdetailing on starship concepts?

Deadspine
12-22-2011, 08:38 PM
I'm currently working on a large scale mod project for a game. Large enough that all the assets the mod will use must be unique. I'm basically controlling the entire art direction by myself, and I'm trying to keep things looking like 70s-80s era science-fiction.

I'm designing a couple ships, and the process that always gives me the most difficulty, is with the microdetails. Not necessarily greeble, but just the tiny mechanical bits that accompany it. I've provided an example, as well as the quick sketch I worked on this morning. If you've got some advice on how to improve detail, and the design as well, please share! :)

A great example can be seen here: http://fractalsponge.net/gallery/index.html

Here's where I'm at with my sketch so far:
http://home.kc.surewest.net/clminard/ShipSketch_Stage3.jpg

Lunatique
12-24-2011, 04:17 AM
Have you tried actually researching real life counterparts like battleships, aircraft carriers, tanks...etc and learn about the how/why they are constructed the way they are, and what all the surface details actually are and why they are necessary?

Andrewty07
12-24-2011, 05:14 AM
I would think that if your doing such a large scale project you shouldn't be worried about "microdetailing" for quite some time. I know every artist loves detailing, it is like the frosting on the cake for us but it gets wasted if you don't have good forms and designs overall. Also I believe the great artists have purpose and logic in all they do so don't mindlessly stick details on a design unless you have a logic in doing so. It will create more powerful images and ultimately more convincing that they could someday be real if they aren't already. As far as detailing ships, look through texture libraries and google, also try to get out and about to find your own references to photograph. All of this would be better if done before any kind of production so that a large reference library is already on hand.

CGTalk Moderation
12-24-2011, 05:14 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.