PDA

View Full Version : Volumetric Light for composition.

dickma
11-13-2003, 12:39 PM
I am thinking about if Lightwave can generate Volumetric Lights Alphas for compositions in AE. If it is slow in speed of rendering volumetrics, Can I fake Volumetric Lights in AE by using the source of LW object alpha? HOW?

toonshady
11-13-2003, 01:38 PM
From this thread http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12808 I take it that you can render out a pass manually with only volumetric lights and then you can composite it in AE.

dickma
11-13-2003, 02:13 PM
Still confused....sorry.
May be someone please post a tutorial....

leigh
11-13-2003, 02:17 PM
Rendering volumetric lights seperately is easy.

All you do is set up a duplicate scene, make all your objects MATTE black (remember to save them with a different name), then set up your lights and render out as usual.

Then simply take the rendered sequence into After Effects, and comp it. The simples way of comping it is to just take the sequence as is and use the Screen blending mode. Alternatively you could use something like Dodge for a stronger effect.

The best part about this is that not only do your lights render faster, but you can also adjust their colour and intensity seperately in post.

It's the only intelligent way of rendering volumetrics :)

dickma
11-13-2003, 04:24 PM
I won't forget those techniques by Leigh. But there is something wrong in the question that I made, that isn't suit my original situations. Here I want to say a little sorry to people that who contributed to this thread.

I just thought of making an object mask (generated by Lightwave by obtaining alpha of the object), and would make a fake 2D like volumetrics Light that pass through the mask in AE will be more appropriate (but how?or can AE do that?). May be I should post this to the Compositing and Visual Effects group.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.