PDA

View Full Version : In need of career advice

kizoku
12-18-2011, 03:10 PM
I've been working professionally for over four years now, mostly in the viz-game but also with animated feature film and video games. Mainly with lighting and shaders. In 2012, I will be looking for a new job and my goal is to land one in the vfx industry (MPC, DD, Dneg etc).

So far, I've been working lots with Maya, 3dsMax, Mental Ray and VRay. I have great knowledge in all of them but here comes the twist, most of the large houses use Renderman.

What I am looking for here are your thoughts on the following: Is it a must for me to learn it pre-employment? It feels really weird if that would be the case, but when reading the work-ads, my insecurity grows.

I am not a student anymore and to go out and buy (there isn't even a trial to get) Renderman is a very expensive adventure.. so I don't really know how to approach all of this.

All thoughts much appreciated :)

Cheers,
Patrik

mr Bob
12-18-2011, 08:47 PM
Patrik,
Learning renderman is something you can do later. Its all dependent on your reel to gain a job as a lighter I would expect to see at least some movie quality shots that you have pushed through a lighting pipe. So that's knowing Maya and Nuke.

b

playmesumch00ns
12-19-2011, 10:14 AM
We don't expect junior artists to have knowledge of RenderMan (though of course it helps). Demonstrating a good eye and an understanding of how light behaves is far more important.

kizoku
12-21-2011, 11:38 AM
Thanks guys :)
I also got the tip from a friend to try out 3Delight, but there aren't really any tutorials for that.. (the ones on their website can hardly be counted). But this brightened my day! Thanks!

rendermaniac
12-21-2011, 01:14 PM
All the companies you mentioned have priority interfaces which you can only learn in house.

If you want to use a free RenderMan compliant renderer, then 3delight is pretty good http://www.3delight.com . It's pretty close to prman, but also has it's own peculiarities.

Simon

kizoku
12-22-2011, 12:40 PM
All the companies you mentioned have priority interfaces which you can only learn in house.

If you want to use a free RenderMan compliant renderer, then 3delight is pretty good http://www.3delight.com . It's pretty close to prman, but also has it's own peculiarities.

Simon

Thanks mate, have you found any other tutorials on 3delight besides the few they have on their website? Feels a bit too big just to jump into with no real guide :)

Bitter
12-30-2011, 11:56 PM
Some of the places on that list probably don't use Renderman exclusively either.

DD, Luma Pictures, The Mill, Gradient, Scanline VFX, Whiskey Tree, Buf, ILM, Zoic, etc.

They use a mixture or no Renderman at all.

CGTalk Moderation
12-30-2011, 11:56 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.