PDA

View Full Version : painter 8's layer merge problem

DongMei
11-13-2003, 02:05 AM
hi, i tried to merge selected layers in painter 8, i thought painter8 has the similar layer system as photoshop, but i found that two floating layer cant be merged together as another floating layer unless they all droped onto canvas , i found a way to merge two layers by grouping them firstly and using collapse function,but this method only works on the layer that in default mode, if any of the layers are in gel or sth, then they cant be collapsed, does anybody know a way similar to ps's "merge selected" function to merge layers in pt 8 ? thanks

DongMei
11-14-2003, 06:05 PM
nobody can answer this question????

Jinbrown
11-16-2003, 03:56 AM
Hi,

As you've discovered, if any Layer in the Group is set to a Composite Method other than Default, the Group can't be Collapsed.

Depending on the image, what kinds of Layers you want to "merge", and what else the image contains, there are workarounds that can be used, though.

Sorry about that. I think we all want to be able to Collapse a Group of Layers no matter what their Composite Method might be.

This problem was supposed to be addressed in Painter 8, but it wasn't solved as we can see.

Sousuke
12-10-2003, 09:32 AM
I think that what is necessary is just to make a group from the same attribute.

Jinbrown
12-10-2003, 07:18 PM
Hi,

That won't work (making all Layers in the Group have the same Composite Method) unless the Composite Method is Default.

If, for instance, you have a Group of Water Color Layers (all set to Gel Composite Method), the Group has to be expanded, then each Layer has to first be converted to Default Composite Method, the Group Collapsed, then the resulting Layer returned to Gel Composite Method in order to have the Layer display as expected with no white edges around the brushstrokes.

If there are combinations of Composite Methods, depending on the image and what it contains, the workarounds will vary.

If you have a specific situation and describe it in detail, it would then be possible to recommend some workarounds.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.