PDA

View Full Version : Mental Core

petey
12-13-2011, 02:10 AM
Has anyone checked out the latest release of mental core?

http://core-cg.com/products/mentalcore/overview/

Looks pretty nifty, I'd be interested to hear peoples thoughts.

One feature that looks especially handy is easy colour space management. So you can basically shift to linear colour space with the click of a button. I've never worked with linear colour space though so I'm not sure if it's this straight forward.

m0z
12-13-2011, 02:49 AM
we gonna try it at work soon. Looks promising, especially the render passes system. ;)

coccosoids
12-13-2011, 08:00 AM
I think it has been noted that it still does not internally color manage color swatches.

khamui
12-13-2011, 09:00 AM
pretty nice feature list!

mercuito
12-13-2011, 07:42 PM
I think it has been noted that it still does not internally color manage color swatches.

Incorrect. The colour inputs of all material shaders are colour managed - whether it has a file texture or just a color swatch.

TinyCerebellum
12-13-2011, 11:10 PM
Yes, I can confirm that about the colour swatch gamma correction. They actually have it nicely organized in a rollout for colour management under each material, where you can pick which attributes get colour managed, and the swatches do indeed show up correctly gamma corrected. This brings up a nice little advantage over the standard mr because the material preview in the hypershade and viewport also shows up correctly with the swatch and textures used, since it doesn't get changed up by the gamma_correct nodes.

I'm testing the mentalCore setup right now myself, and so far it does look like it has a fair amount of nice additions as well as a better streamlined workflow. The only "issue" I found so far is with their Hair shader, which seems to have been implemented to work only with the Maya Fur node. The Maya Hair pfx node doesn't have a mentalCore rollout for connecting the shader. Maybe I am missing something.

mercuito
12-14-2011, 12:42 AM
The only "issue" I found so far is with their Hair shader, which seems to have been implemented to work only with the Maya Fur node. The Maya Hair pfx node doesn't have a mentalCore rollout for connecting the shader. Maybe I am missing something.

Unforunately thats something that never came up in the beta. I will be including it in a update however.

KarimNassar
12-28-2011, 05:12 PM
I downloaded the demo and have yet to try everything out but so far it's great.
Very nicely organized menus that make your life easier.
Render pass system very straight forward.
The core_material which is a compilation of other materials with velvet attributes added is great as well.

So far what really sticks out is the organization and layout which is very clear and that's such a needed fix in maya/mental ray.

people should try the demo and see for themselves

now off to some more testing

nwargasm
01-03-2012, 08:09 PM
I'm trying the demo now and it's badass! I was looking at switching to vray, but i thought i'd try mental core too. It just... makes mental ray work how you think it should. Pretty easy so far converting materials and rendering passes. Unfortunately, a couple materials don't upgrade to core easily, it looks like it doesn't recognize mia_carpaint.

Linear workflow is pretty simple, no screwing around with gamma nodes so far, from what i can see.

m0z
01-09-2012, 02:37 PM
Hey Corey,

Seems like the randomizer texture doesn't work with mip_binaryproxy.

Can anybody confirm this?

mercuito
01-10-2012, 08:16 PM
Hey Corey,

Seems like the randomizer texture doesn't work with mip_binaryproxy.

Can anybody confirm this?

This could be likely, I'll have to look into it and see if theres a way around it. Instances should work fine however

m0z
01-10-2012, 09:42 PM
would be great if you could fix that! Because I'm using binaryproxies a lot and I think others do too. :bowdown:

Cyraph
01-12-2012, 02:09 PM
I tried out the demo, very nice work by the guys over at Oktobor Animation in NZ. I may just have to buy it if I can digest the switch to Maya 2012... I still prefer earlier versions. Overall I'd say MC is even a better buy than Vray because from my tests in the past, Vray has some absolutely huge issues with cutout opacity maps... so things like leaves take extra long to render- not to mention I seem to get a lot more RAM mileage out of using .map files instead of tiled .exrs for file textures.

The passes system is quite outstanding actually, you can output individual diffuse and spec light passes with ease and no additional render layers are needed. I noticed perhaps a slight bug doing that using architectural shader (secondary light passes don't show up) but with the fake core_material's blinn/phong highlights it works. Love the three layer SSS passes, it's just awesome. Both normal and "raw" pass compositing methods add up nicely, and I like the subtle touches- things like contrast all buffers and the filtering on the zDepth pass is disabled by default.

It also has other useful passes right there like the world position/point pass, I tested out the relighting feature in Nuke and it works great, only problem is that Vray has a pass called "bumpNormals" and it outputs the surface normals from textures- Mental Core doesn't and only does so from the geo & displacement. I think if they add that and a more standard RGBA matte passe instead of the single alpha one as well Mental Core could be the definitive rendering solution for all Maya users. I've asked the developer to also add in functionality for deep compositing- he said it's possible and may do so in the future.

The lighting methods are nice and easy to set up, one is a world flood ambient with AO, the other is a more traditional light dome with AO too. Ray switching is also rather easy to do, right there inside the IBL node. There's other useful nodes in the toolbox as well and the documentation is a very easy read- even shorter than Vray's. Very nice system overall and for $200 it can't be beat. Only problem is that it's not for Maya 2009/2010 yet. Definitely keep an eye on it.

mercuito
01-13-2012, 12:14 AM
@Cyraph - Thanks for the great review. You mentioned a bug with the mia shader and lightpasses, can you email me an example of this? If there is a bug there I would like to get it sorted.

@m0z - I can't guarantee I'll be able to get it working. I had a look and it appears the names of the proxies are randomly generated at rendertime, and the name is what's used to randomize the textures. But I'll see if there's any possible workarounds.

Cyraph
01-13-2012, 05:10 PM
@Cyraph - Thanks for the great review. You mentioned a bug with the mia shader and lightpasses, can you email me an example of this? If there is a bug there I would like to get it sorted.

Here's a small and quick test scene I set up for you with the Stanford Bunny. Basically I wanted to use the standard Core material for reflections and everything else but generally like the Core MIA spec a bit better and decided to map just its spec contribution into the "custom specular" attribute of the Core material. All seems to work well until you add additional spec & diffuse passes.

http://hotfile.com/dl/141612200/c9057c0/mrCustomSpecBug.zip.html (http://forums.cgsociety.org/mcCustomSpecBug.zip)

1. Hook up the HDR image for the environment.
2. Render preview pass: None to see the test image.
3. Render preview pass: specular_ALL to see spec contribution of both lights.
4. Render preview pass: specular_RIM01... ? Nothing shows up here.
5. Now select the material and break the connections for the custom specular.
6. Enable standard blinn and glossy specular models.
7. Render passes again, this time the side light shows up in the specular_RIM01 pass.

Not a huge issue since the standard specular models can be tweaked pretty closely to match the physical and they're faster to render anyway- but is this a bug or did I do something wrong here? Thanks for looking!

chuckie7413
01-14-2012, 08:17 AM
@Cyraph nice review and glad i am not the only one who is still using older maya version.

@mercuito Hey Corey. That is 2 people at least for a 2009 version ;-)

The main we are still using maya 2009 is that our farm is on mr 3.7 standalone and not sure we can afford upgrade it to 3.9+ anytime soon.

Cheers,

Richard

m0z
01-14-2012, 12:55 PM
@m0z - I can't guarantee I'll be able to get it working. I had a look and it appears the names of the proxies are randomly generated at rendertime, and the name is what's used to randomize the textures. But I'll see if there's any possible workarounds.

What a bummer.. I really hope you can sort that out :D

mercuito
01-15-2012, 08:04 PM
Here's a small and quick test scene I set up for you with the Stanford Bunny. Basically I wanted to use the standard Core material for reflections and everything else but generally like the Core MIA spec a bit better and decided to map just its spec contribution into the "custom specular" attribute of the Core material. All seems to work well until you add additional spec & diffuse passes.

http://hotfile.com/dl/141612200/c9057c0/mrCustomSpecBug.zip.html (http://forums.cgsociety.org/mcCustomSpecBug.zip)

1. Hook up the HDR image for the environment.
2. Render preview pass: None to see the test image.
3. Render preview pass: specular_ALL to see spec contribution of both lights.
4. Render preview pass: specular_RIM01... ? Nothing shows up here.
5. Now select the material and break the connections for the custom specular.
6. Enable standard blinn and glossy specular models.
7. Render passes again, this time the side light shows up in the specular_RIM01 pass.

Not a huge issue since the standard specular models can be tweaked pretty closely to match the physical and they're faster to render anyway- but is this a bug or did I do something wrong here? Thanks for looking!

Hi Cyraph,

This is just a matter of workflow. The best way to do this is to use a blend materials shader. Plug a core_material into the base material slot, and then your spec only core_mia_material into the Coat Material 1 slot and also turn on clear coat (this will make the spec and reflections add the previous shader instead of completely replacing it). This will work properly with the per light passes. The custom specular attribute is more of a legacy thing and isn't as intelligent so won't work for per light passes.

Also worth noting, you can get a very similar spec to the mia material if you use a phong spec with a high exponent value, and push the amount above 1.

Thanks

chafouin
01-18-2012, 11:18 AM
I have encountered so many problems with mental ray in 2012, with transparent objects receiving shadows in a wrong way, transparency not working properly with an IBL in the background, passes that don't take transparency into account... So I tried Mental Core to see if it fixes those issues... of course it does :)

Maybe the question has already been asked, but is Mental Core working 100% fine with iRay? Would it be production ready?

m0z
01-18-2012, 11:23 AM
since when is iRay in Maya production ready? :surprised :D

chafouin
01-18-2012, 02:43 PM
Take a look at his blog, from what he says and what I see, iRay could be used for a lot of stuff (as long as you don't have a scene that needs more memory than your GPU has).
http://jeffpatton.net/2011/04/why-iray/

And if you mean specifically in Maya, then that's the reason why I ask to Corey :) Because I don't even think iRay will be in maya 2013.

m0z
01-18-2012, 03:56 PM
just copy the iray dlls from mental ray standalone or max to maya\bin ;)
I tested it plenty of times at work on my machine and it works. But the thing is, you have to know which nodes work and which don't. Or you'll get unexpected fatal errors and whatsoever, it's a nightmare compared to what it seems like in Max 2012. :shrug:

chafouin
01-18-2012, 04:27 PM
I know, that's what I was doing. But the problems I had with mental ray are still there in iray. Imagine a world where mental core and iray could perfectly work together, this would be like in a dream :)

It might already work, I don't know and that's what I would like to discover. I can't test it now because the computer I use with mental core trial doesn't have an nvidia :/

m0z
01-18-2012, 05:37 PM
I wouldn't count on that since not even all of the own shaders are supported yet :D But I'll try it asap

mercuito
01-18-2012, 07:17 PM
There's a couple of issues with trying to support iray in MentalCore. First I don't believe it would be legal to redistribute those iray dlls as part of the MentalCore installer, hence why its not in the render globals as a option.

Second iray does not support any custom shaders at the moment as far as I'm aware. So its likely none of the materials would be renderable.

But if anyone wants to test it, go for it and let me know if anything at all works.

Bitter
01-18-2012, 10:14 PM
Be sure and communicate how much you'd love to have iRay in Maya to Autodesk.

chafouin
01-18-2012, 10:53 PM
Using "Suggest a feature" I guess? I'll do that but I'm not really expecting them to listen to me.

However, iray compatibility with mental ray shaders and custom shader is more nvidia/mental images concern, right? I don't know how much progress has been done on this side in iRay latest versions.

Any idea when BSDF shaders will be "production ready" as well? I'm such an impatient kid :)

mercuito
01-24-2012, 08:53 PM
Hey guys, would just like to let you know MentalCore version 1.1 update is out. Here's a list of updates:

Added support for MentalRay standalone - see documentation for installation instructions
Added support for MentalRay satellite with some known limitations - see documentation for installation instructions
Added support for Maya Hair. Core hair shader can now be attached and rendered the same was as Maya fur.
Added new core_fast_lmap lightmap shader. Allows MentalCore subsurface shaders to take environment lighting into account when calculating scattering. This is created by default with a subsurface shader, but the “Include Ambient Light” parameter must be enabled to achieve this effect.
Added Illuminate blending mode to core_texture_blend and core_texture_merge shaders
Fixed bug where using the “render selected objects” option would effectively turn off the MentalCore globals
Fixed bug with the core_mia_material where colour management checkboxes had no effect
Fixed bug with core_mia_material where core_env_light would have no effect when occlusion was enabled
Fixed bug where under certain circumstances a batch render would crash on frame 3
Fixed bug where attaching a core_colour_grade shader to the camera would cause a crash
Fixed bug when attaching a MentalCore material to a custom renderpass would cause a infinite call recursion
Changed naming for rendered files when outputting separate files for each pass. Old: “myscene.02_colour.exr” New: “myscene_colour.02.exr”

HystericalKeyframe
01-25-2012, 02:02 PM
This is one of those things that sounds too good to be true.

Is it smart to use Mental Core in the Archviz production? I mean is it reliable at this point? Because like I said it sounds too good to be true.

m0z
01-25-2012, 03:43 PM
why don't you try it yourself? Get the demo!
It's not too good to be true. It's real, get it, try it, love it or hate it :D ;)

ytsejam1976
01-25-2012, 04:09 PM
This is one of those things that sounds too good to be true.

Is it smart to use Mental Core in the Archviz production? I mean is it reliable at this point? Because like I said it sounds too good to be true.

I think yes.
The limitations are only the Mental ray limitation, like not good GI, for example.

HystericalKeyframe
01-26-2012, 12:32 AM
I honestly don't see what is bad with Mental Ray's Global Illumination?(I mean quality wise)...

What I will say now is in no way trying to open a debate but it is just my honest and unbiased opinion:
I switched from Mental Ray to Vray(for stability reasons), and what I have concluded after a lot of experimenting and tweaking is that - as stable, reliable and awesome it is, its lighting in general is significantly less realistic than MR's...so many people tried to convince me in the opposite but I keep on concluding the same thing over and over.
Don't get me wrong, Vray users have done some absolutely incredible artwork and they really blew me away, but no matter how awesome and detailed those particular scenes are, I almost always notice that high-contrast, plastic feel about it, I don't know how exactly to explain it but I just feel that those same scenes would look much more realistic if they were rendered with MR(if possible to render them with MR without crashing :D). The same thing happened in my renders.

Especially the sunlight and the color of the shadows cast by the objects that are hit by sunlight. I yet have to see the Vray sun

That is why I am so desperately trying to get hope back for Mental Ray...I'm just too picky and I can't help it :)

InfernalDarkness
01-26-2012, 06:16 AM

I'll agree with the others who agree on this topic: mental ray with less time-consuming setups is a winner all the way around, for Arch/viz or any other kind of rendering that Core supports. It's certainly the next product on my list (ahead of Vray) for this year's budget! I never spent enough time on the demo due to deadlines, actually, but Mercuito is very, very responsive even to demo-users and people with minor issues and problems. If he can't fix it, he says so outright. But 99% of the time he says he'll work on it and so far he's delivered by all accounts.

As we all know or have experienced, it's not mental ray that's the problem - it's the integration into Maya. Mercuito appears to know this as well as anyone and also has the motivation, technical skill, and desire to change this for us. Given the many thousands of hours many of us have wasted struggling with MR's broken integration, if Core even saves you a hundred hours it's worth it.

Only reason I haven't picked it up for work (aside from budget constraints) is simply because I don't use passes in my daily work. For my personal work, which is mostly landscapes and jungle-type scenes, Core appears to be the oasis in the barren wasteland of mental integration, and I can't wait to get back to using it this spring!

I honestly don't see what is bad with Mental Ray's Global Illumination?(I mean quality wise)...

Nothing bad about the most customizable, tunable, and powerful renderer available at all, except for how goddamn obnoxious some of the Maya functionality is! That said, I rarely if ever actually use GI for arch/viz. Generally only when caustics or lots of glass comes into play, or if interior lighting is stifled by FG alone. FG by itself is usually sufficient for most of my work, but my work is almost all just production daily/hourly deadlines on a tight time budget. "Good enough" is how I get paid. "Photorealistic" doesn't matter much to my clients - they have no concept of the difference, to be honest. Nor do my bosses. My clients are simple homeowners and small building owners, not CG journalists or competition forum leaders. But yeah, you won't see any of my work on the front page here or anywhere else, to be humble. You do what you need to do in the time given, I guess.

ytsejam1976
01-26-2012, 07:56 AM

The simple fact then you switched to vray.
GI Solution on mental ray is OLD.
An Irradiance cache solution would be better.
Take the Dome light in vray, it useful with sky HDR and really fast and accurate light solution. Mental ray inside Maya not have yet good.

Anyway yes, is Mental ray limitation on Maya the problem.

InfernalDarkness
01-26-2012, 08:03 AM
I wouldn't say it's old, it's just different. There's almost no reason to use photon GI in an outside dome setting in any raytracer. It has its uses.

The root core of the issue of all these rendering engines is approximation. Photons do not exist. They are a mathematical approximation of our senses, still, and have never been proven to actually be real, have never been observed or quantified in any way except for via deduction. mental ray has other methods which rival Vray's from what I've seen, although I also find Vray to be a powerful tool.

VanDerGoes
01-26-2012, 12:40 PM
The simple fact then you switched to vray.
GI Solution on mental ray is OLD.
An Irradiance cache solution would be better.
Take the Dome light in vray, it useful with sky HDR and really fast and accurate light solution. Mental ray inside Maya not have yet good.

Anyway yes, is Mental ray limitation on Maya the problem.

I agree, irradiance particles would be a great solution if better implemented. But someone decided that sampling environment through glass was not important in an indirect light solution...

But isn't native IBL something similar to vray dome light? It emits direct light too...

m0z
01-26-2012, 12:45 PM
From what I can tell it is, looks fantastic and works great with FG. I never use GI... :thumbsup:

VanDerGoes
01-26-2012, 01:17 PM
The big weakness of mental ray for archviz in my opinion is that none of these great new advanced features work with satellite. Am I wrong? Mental core solves this issue?

m0z
01-26-2012, 01:19 PM
huh? You mean sending the job to the farm and all the blades calculate the same frame? Like with the new IBL?

Because this works

VanDerGoes
01-26-2012, 01:25 PM
Yes, I'm referring to distribute rendering with mental ray satellite on slave machines. Never worked for me. Main pc renders fine but tiles from slaves are black, at least on my network rig. Are you using mr satellite or are you splitting the same frame across multiple machine via backburner or some other render queue manager?

m0z
01-26-2012, 01:42 PM
we use RoyalRender which can tile the frame up to 20 tiles and each blade rendres one tile.
But I also often render with distributed rendering. No problems here. :)

VanDerGoes
01-26-2012, 01:59 PM
Thank you for this information m0z. Sorry if I may seem to you pedantic, but I ask you another clarification. Do you mean that you could render with mr native IBL and distribute? If this is the case then it would be a problem of my own configuration...Anyone else did experience the same problem with mr IBL and satellite distribute render?

m0z
01-26-2012, 02:36 PM
voila...

MR Satellite, Unified Sampling, integrated IBL, bokeh

http://www.mathiasmarkovits.com/up/files/iblDistributedTest0001.jpg/iblDistributedTest0001.jpg

works. :cool:

VanDerGoes
01-26-2012, 02:47 PM
voila...

MR Satellite, Unified Sampling, integrated IBL, bokeh

http://www.mathiasmarkovits.com/up/files/iblDistributedTest0001.jpg/iblDistributedTest0001.jpg

works. :cool:

Thank you! The good news is that it's not a mental ray problem. :thumbsup:
The bad one is that I had to find out what's wrong with my setup... :banghead:

ytsejam1976
01-26-2012, 04:07 PM
Something like direct light a la domelightVray is THE BUILT IN IBL, but it's noise. Ok unified sampling help much but, really is not the same.
Anyway, this is Mentalcore Thread so i'm sorry to Corey for deviation of the thread.
Sorry

Dario

m0z
01-26-2012, 04:23 PM
what do you mean with noise? There's a quality slider, pushing it to 1 and there's almost no noise. Even go further... But yeah, off topic. :)

ytsejam1976
01-26-2012, 07:46 PM
Really m0z are not the same and with quality to 1 on an interior is impossible render time. The same PC vray and Mentalray, vray win for rendertime. So GI help, but i'm repeat not good like vRay.

For entry on topic, Corey, any news for the Photometriclight on mentalcore? I see your post on womArchlight, we can expect something?

Dario

HystericalKeyframe
01-27-2012, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the answers people!
Aaa! I am so confused! :) why is GI considered to be deprecated? Isn't the GI+FG what really gives that great quality to interiors?...at least that's my experience.

As for the outdoors, one is for sure - with just a default physical Sun and Sky settings, linear workflow, Final Gather turned on, and a few more exposure touches, MR gives me better results than anything I have ever tweaked out of Vray so far...I mean regarding outdoors only of course.

I wish Mental Core just took all MR's features and made it better organized, but I know its not :(

InfernalDarkness
01-27-2012, 09:39 PM
It is a bit OT, but I happen to concur with you on the topic a bit Hysterical, while also agreeing with Dario as well in some cases.

GI is not deprecated, any more than FG is. At least if you use mental ray, which is at least kind of on-topic for this thread.

Quicky from today's work:
http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/9453/shawbasebathmr8entryfg.jpg

FG only, rendertime 8:15.

http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/3638/shawbasebathmr8entrygif.jpg

FG+GI, rendertime 7:36. Not finished here, no caustics, just an example. And damn, these look bad on my second (web/print) monitor! But yes, the GI really helps and of course increases the speed and FG calc times when rendering.

ytsejam1976
01-28-2012, 04:14 PM
look at this thread so you understands guy what i mean.
Need an mentalimages account forum for view the image

http://forum.mentalimages.com/showthread.php?7780-Unified-Sampling-in-3.9&p=34183#post34183

HystericalKeyframe
01-28-2012, 07:50 PM
InfernalDarkness, that is exactly what I tried to explain! You see? Then why some people consider GI as deprecated...To me it makes a huge difference, especially in big long rooms with a lot of color and detail variations.

Hmmmm now that I think of it, this might be the very reason why I believe that MR is more realistic than VR!!!
Perhaps people that use Vray simply don't use GI and that's why I consider Vray renders to look too "plastic" and too "high contrast"...ta-daaaa!?
Man if that is so, than this is the greatest discovery I have ever made! :P

I also apologize because of the offtopic, but I think it is closely related :)

oracio
03-26-2012, 10:10 PM
Hi Corey,

How does Mental Core's render pass system manage scenes with physical sun & sky?
Will I be able to build the beauty pass in comp from the different passes and get the same result?

mercuito
03-26-2012, 10:45 PM
Hi Corey,

How does Mental Core's render pass system manage scenes with physical sun & sky?
Will I be able to build the beauty pass in comp from the different passes and get the same result?

Yes, you can do this. Just keep in mind that you need to turn the exposure down when using the physical sun and sky so when you composite the passes together, you will need to apply the same kind of camera adjustments to match the beauty.

Download the trial and give it a go!

RagingBull
04-28-2012, 11:06 AM
Howdy,

I was just wondering what the work flow is for flicker free animated renderings ?
I still need to try out the latest demo, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

mercuito
05-11-2012, 06:01 AM
Hey guys, just to let you know, MentalCore v1.3 is out now with support for Maya 2013 and a bunch of other new features. Check out the full list of upates here - http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=7317505#post7317505

Dario - The arch light will be part of the next update.

wizzackr
05-17-2012, 01:45 PM
Yes, you can do this. Just keep in mind that you need to turn the exposure down when using the physical sun and sky so when you composite the passes together, you will need to apply the same kind of camera adjustments to match the beauty.

Download the trial and give it a go!

Hey Corey, yould you give us a quick rundown as to how that would be done? To be more specific, two questions:
1. Is there a specific value by which you lower the physical sky multiplier in order to exactly match the results of the native s&s?
2. Is there a way to catch the environment in mental core's pass system? We cannot get the sky to show up in any of them when using the physical sun and sky setup.

kiryha
06-21-2012, 08:19 AM
Is there a way to aply bump to core_carpaint?

Also, when i use core_randomizer with image file textures, pressing 6 in viewport stuck Maya(2012).

naik
06-21-2012, 09:16 AM
Hi Corey,

just trying the trial and doing some tests with the render passes.
Many passes seems to work not right, just like the standard maya passes.

(Doing all tests with the mia / Core_Mia
The Diffuse_no_shadows pass is not working
The Shadow Pass ist just black.

Don't you support the directirradiance passes?

best regards

naik

stallion151
06-21-2012, 12:07 PM
there are some issues with some passes and core_mia

http://core-cg.com/forum/messages.aspx?TopicID=93

but they all work, just something quirky happening.

Redsand1080
06-21-2012, 12:16 PM
just trying the trial and doing some tests with the render passes.
Many passes seems to work not right, just like the standard maya passes.

I did the same thing last night. :) I emailed Corey about it and he sent me the above link asking if those were the same problems I was having. They definitely were. Seems like there might be a fix for it...which would be awesome!

-Justin

naik
06-21-2012, 12:56 PM
Hehe, hey Justin ;-)

Yeah, i have also checked the support forum and it seems to be broken with the
latest release. But i hope that Corey will definately fix it...

mercuito
06-22-2012, 08:08 AM
Good news fellas! I've just released 1.4 which fixes the issues with the broken passes as well as a few other bits and pieces:

FEATURES:

New "Environment" render pass. This pass allows you to render the environment (IBL/Sun&Sky etc) as a separate pass.
Ambient Occlusion trace flags. This allows you to control which objects will be hit by AO rays based on their render stats (Casts Shadows etc). This can be found in the render globals under the Advanced Occlusion settings. Maya 2012/2013 only.
New shader "core_color_temperature". This is a simple light shader that outputs colors based on a temperature setting. Includes a range of presets.
Updated "core_displace" shader. This improved version allows you to automatically offset displacement values for maps in the 0-1 range.

BUG FIXES:

Fixed issue with some broken render passes when using the core_mia_material.
Fixed issue with core_mia_material not rendering the correct shadow when using cutout opacity.
Fixed issue with core texture shaders not working with displacement shaders.

kiryha
06-22-2012, 09:15 AM
Helo, Corey!
I check latest update- it solve shadows issue in passes.
Thanks again for awesome work and fast fixes! Mentalcore is amazing.

I discover strange behaviour, when using triple swtich utilities in combination with core_blend material- the alfa of beauty is wrong, it has B&W mask wich i use for blending 2 materials together.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-uqNMDaXVV9w/T-Qx4pjHN8I/AAAAAAAACY0/sUh6hNsGmzY/s1440/core_switches.png

If i remove switches from network- everything works fine!

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-kHitZ7EJzNs/T-Qx4vOGv1I/AAAAAAAACY4/XOgqYrkt1uw/s1152/core_switches_network.gif

I can share csene if you need.

And question, how to create bump on carpaint is open. I know about bump combiner (http://www.cgnotebook.com/wiki/Apply_a_bump_to_mental_ray_for_Maya_mi_car_paint_phen) but i wish to avoid plugins as much as possible and i`m not sure, if it will correctly works with core passes.

mercuito
06-22-2012, 10:10 AM
Any reason you need to use the triple switch, being a maya node it might be more hassle then it's worth. Regarding the car paint, it's more of a general mr question, I think there's a work flow you can do using the mib_bump_passthrough.

kiryha
06-22-2012, 10:27 AM
Triple switch i use for driving one materials with different textures for different objects. I can avoid it easy.

mib_bump_passthrough... wil search, thanks!

Redsand1080
06-22-2012, 11:14 AM
Thanks Corey! About to download and test right now!

Redsand1080
06-22-2012, 11:21 AM
Working perfectly! Thanks Corey! So nice to have a system that can get bug fixes that actually fix problems that quickly. Very cool.

-Justin

naik
06-22-2012, 11:55 AM
What a timing guys.
So now i want to test the "bugfixed" 1.4 version but the system ( online ) tells
me that i already have a trial license ( 1.3 ) ;-/

naik
06-22-2012, 11:57 AM
It would also be cool to have a separate pass ( beauty / shadow ) from the
"new" native IBL. A pity that i can't test the latest version.
Now i'm stuck with 1.3

Corey, can you help me out?

regards

kiryha
06-22-2012, 12:00 PM
Bump on carpaint:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-DCpLsadnqvs/T-RbS0NFg_I/AAAAAAAACaA/4WEo7uu2REA/s1440/core_carpaint_bump.gif

mercuito
06-22-2012, 12:37 PM
It would also be cool to have a separate pass ( beauty / shadow ) from the
"new" native IBL. A pity that i can't test the latest version.
Now i'm stuck with 1.3

Corey, can you help me out?

regards

Has your trial license expired? If not just download the update from our website. If it has expired, flick me an email and I would be happy to extend it for you - support(at)core-cg.com.

Regarding the IBL, you could probably use the new ibl light shaders in 2013 and get a pass out of that.

CGTalk Moderation
06-22-2012, 12:37 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.