PDA

View Full Version : Question about decompilers?

singularity2006
11-12-2003, 07:13 PM
Are decompilers legal? And if they are, can anyone recommend one that I can use to decompile visual basic stuff? Once in a while I run across pretty neat visual basic programs but would like to know how they went about programming it.

OC-NightHawk
11-12-2003, 09:34 PM
Unless they provide source code or explicltly mention that its ok to decompile the execuitable it is very much illegal to do such a thing. If you are looking to learn by example go to www.planet-source-code.com. The site has plenty of source code for all sorts of things in wide array of languages.

aurora
11-12-2003, 10:06 PM
Decompilers in and of themselves are not illegal any more then the internet is illegal. They can be used for good things as well as bad just like CGTalk is a GREAT use of the internet while the old Napster well??????
As for current sources man I have not personally used one since the old days of writting assembly on a Apple II 6502 chipset. I know theres still a few for C/C++ but I know of none for VB. As scarey as this sounds you might look on some hacker sites they must have links to a few decompilers else hacking app's would be a little difficult. Unfortuneatly (or fortuneatley depending on how you look at it) I don't know any hacker sites but I'm sure google does.

singularity2006
11-13-2003, 03:51 AM
oooh, very cool OC. Thanks for the link. I'll definitely check it out.

OC-NightHawk
11-13-2003, 04:37 AM
Originally posted by aurora
Decompilers in and of themselves are not illegal any more then the internet is illegal. They can be used for good things as well as bad just like CGTalk is a GREAT use of the internet while the old Napster well??????
As for current sources man I have not personally used one since the old days of writting assembly on a Apple II 6502 chipset. I know theres still a few for C/C++ but I know of none for VB. As scarey as this sounds you might look on some hacker sites they must have links to a few decompilers else hacking app's would be a little difficult. Unfortuneatly (or fortuneatley depending on how you look at it) I don't know any hacker sites but I'm sure google does.

I never said the tool was illegal, I said what he wanted to do was more than likely illegal.

"oooh, very cool OC. Thanks for the link. I'll definitely check it out."

You'll find just about anything you need there. You are very likely to find at least one sample of what you need maybe more.

RealThing
11-13-2003, 02:35 PM
I don't think that decompilers will give you the information your after. They can only convert a compiled program into ASM which of course you could modify and recompile into an executable program assuming you know ASM. But it certainly won't show you how a program did something in a human readable higher level language like C++ or VB.

aurora
11-13-2003, 03:09 PM
OC - sorry I never meant to attack you. I was just adding my 2cents worth in. This topic has come up in other programming forums so it was just a general reply. I gave up using them many, many, moons ago because I only used them for rather shadey activites like cracking games to create god mode characters. But mind you those were in the days when there was no such things as 3D games not even in the arcades.

OC-NightHawk
11-13-2003, 07:29 PM
:thumbsup: Its all good.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.