PDA

View Full Version : is it possible to polypaint with transparency and export tex with transparency?

petersk
12-12-2011, 11:06 AM
Hi,
I had to paint a texture in Zbrush, that was to be overlayed onto the base texture of the object and I needed everything not painted in Zbrush to remain transparent. I used polypainting and then "new texture from polypaint". I couldn't find a way to make Zbrush not to fill the empty areas with color.
Is it actually possible and how?

informerman
12-12-2011, 09:07 PM
Hi,
I had to paint a texture in Zbrush, that was to be overlayed onto the base texture of the object and I needed everything not painted in Zbrush to remain transparent. I used polypainting and then "new texture from polypaint". I couldn't find a way to make Zbrush not to fill the empty areas with color.
Is it actually possible and how?

if you want every thing not painted in Zbrush to remain transparent
then your image texture should start off pure black, next you will set tool>texture map>transparent

petersk
12-13-2011, 12:43 PM
if you want every thing not painted in Zbrush to remain transparent
Yes, this is what I want.

But if I fill the object with black the only thing I get is a non-transparent texture on a black background + the inability to paint with black... I mean after exporting the texture, I don't care about transparency in the ZBrush viewport.

informerman
12-13-2011, 08:01 PM
Yes, this is what I want.

But if I fill the object with black the only thing I get is a non-transparent texture on a black background + the inability to paint with black... I mean after exporting the texture, I don't care about transparency in the ZBrush viewport.

im not sure what your saying so you may need to re explain.
i was talking about transparency with Texture
and now your talking about transparency with poly painting because you said>But if I fill the object

other app use Black in some cases for transparency, some do and some dont.

what are you trying to do?

petersk
12-14-2011, 01:05 PM
I am using polypainting in order to create a texture and I want this texture to be partly transparent.

informerman
12-14-2011, 10:36 PM
if you want partly transparent
one way is to mask paint the area you want partly transparent
then tool>polygroups> group from masking
then go to tool> subtool>group split
if it looks jagged before group split delete the subdivision Levels first

once group split then select the subtool you want transparent then
tool>display properties >BPR transparent
then go to
Render> renders properties >transparent
you will all so see transparent setting below under the render menu called >BPR transparency
once done press BPR on the upper right of the UI

informerman
12-15-2011, 05:04 AM
keep in mind, one app transparency may not be the same in another different app

see image below.

top transparency = blue and you can see the inside to the eye ball.
bottom transparency= green and you can see inside to the teeth
http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/8122/transhe.png

petersk
12-15-2011, 08:23 AM
Thanks informerman, I see that ZBrush can have transparency internally, but the question is - is it possible to export a texture out of ZBrush and that texture to have an alpha channel and be partly transparent. For the texture creation I am using polypainting inside Zbrush and in my particular case I actually don't care for transparency inside Zbrush, I just want the exported texture to be transparent where it is not painted and to have partly transparent pixels according to the stroke's pressure/transparency.

informerman
12-15-2011, 01:34 PM
http://www.pixologic.com/docs/index.php/User_FAQ#Can_I_export_an_image_from_ZBrush_that_has_an_alpha_channel.3F

petersk
12-15-2011, 02:09 PM
Thanks, exactly the answer to my question.

P.S. Pixologic's site has tons of info, but also has one of the poorest navigations I have ever seen. I have spent too much time searching it, and I rarely find the needed info there.

informerman
12-15-2011, 06:16 PM
zbrush does not have a way to export rgb image texture as alpha channel.

you could do this in another app like photoshop,
it should be pretty simple
http://www.axialis.com/tutorials/tutorial-misc001.html

see Link Above,
Create a Transparent Image with Adobe Photoshop

petersk
12-15-2011, 07:12 PM
Understood,
thanks!

CGTalk Moderation
12-15-2011, 07:12 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.