PDA

View Full Version : Vanitas Scene, Zeroneuro (3D), (3D)

ZeroNeuro
11-12-2003, 05:28 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/6159/vanitas_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/6159/vanitas.jpg)

Title: Vanitas Scene, Zeroneuro (3D)
Name:
Software: Digital Fusion, Maya, Photoshop, Renderman, Wings3D

All shadows are mapped, no GI, no raytracing, no occlusion.
Cheers (and I hope you like it.)

eYadNesS
11-12-2003, 05:41 PM
Good work, I liked your style :thumbsup:

Remi
11-12-2003, 05:46 PM
Really nice....only thing that stuck out to me was that the skull kinda looks like it's floating...Good job:)

MonkeyNinja
11-12-2003, 05:46 PM
Thank you for bucking the GI trend ;)
The fruit in the back seem to be getting a bit to much light nonetheless the scene rawks.

Garma
11-12-2003, 05:49 PM
ey good work man, congrats with the plug :thumbsup: Very good job on the books.

what's wrong with GI? :hmm: is it too easy?

sad
11-12-2003, 05:51 PM
looks good!
i think mapping shadows is a matter of speed, isnīt it?

Array
11-12-2003, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Garma
ey good work man, congrats with the plug :thumbsup: Very good job on the books.

what's wrong with GI? :hmm: is it too easy?

It would probably take substantially longer to render, which is critical in a production environment (this is for a demo reel after all).

Anyhow, great job on this image. It really shows that you put a lot of work into it. Best of luck on finding a job.

Agent 47
11-12-2003, 06:12 PM
This is probably going to sound dumb, but what it GI?

:drool:

Chong
11-12-2003, 06:17 PM
it's not a dumb question, GI=global illumination

Nice work btw :)

Thehustle
11-12-2003, 06:26 PM
DAmn Nice job then...KODOS

bonko
11-12-2003, 06:27 PM
I think its great. I would remove the green robot eye things in the skull. They don't fit the aesthetic of the rest of scene.

Shinova
11-12-2003, 06:29 PM
Really nice work! What program did you use?

bonko
11-12-2003, 06:30 PM
Actually I like the green color, because there is a sort of pattern going on. I see two other green objects and they all kind of line up. But I would remove the "techieness" of the things housing the green eye things. They look very mechanical and almost "quakeish". Its not a huge thing but it does make the skull eyes stand out and begs the question why the voodoo skull has terminator eyes.

Pharaun
11-12-2003, 06:30 PM
Truly awesome.

I really like the mapping of the tomes, it looks so convincing.

swampthing
11-12-2003, 06:39 PM
I like it, very cool image.

I'd remove the skull eyes though they really don't fit in the picture. They look almost robotic or something compared to the primitiveness of the rest of the picture and they really stick out.

Adainiel
11-12-2003, 06:53 PM
awesome image!
i absolutely love the colours and how well they compliment and blend together.

one thing stands out to me though, the cards and the parchment are very very flat, they have no little dog ears (curved corners), at all.

great job, again, i really love the textures.

~Ada

DZL
11-12-2003, 06:54 PM
your textures are outstanding. the lighting works, although i think your shadows need some work. if you look closely at the dice, the sides facing away from the light source are really dark, however, the shadows they are casting are hardly visible. this can be seen on the chains as well. it also appears that the skull is not casting a shadow on the bridge of the book it is sitting on.

the cards appear like they have little/no depth.

but overall, very nice.

GI is okay for still images. not so good for animations... unless you have your own personal rendering farm with computers from the future.

John_Shaft
11-12-2003, 07:08 PM
I love that globe. Sweet work. But why are they dice?

BoydLake
11-12-2003, 07:20 PM
Nice work! I like the grain filter. Lighting is top notch.

BTW, Ambient Occlusion and GI are the same thing.

Also, adding a few more specular surfaces like on the fruit and other surfaces would add even more of a finished touch to the image.

Agent 47
11-12-2003, 07:49 PM
Chong: Right on. Thanks. Now I can sound like a cool kid.:beer:

[cool kid mode]

Yeah I have to say that the lack of occlusion/GI and raytracing, not to mention the inexplicable absence of radiosity, really makes this piece that much more amazing!

[/cool kid mode]

How was that? :cool:

Edit____
spelling

hackie
11-12-2003, 07:50 PM
cool cool!!
i like the contrast against bookshelf.
it really draws my attention to the skull;)
it would have been way nicer if fruits back there get more
just touch of spec though....
overall~~ this is freaking awesome!!!

ji revolutionsĒâ

Stejahen
11-12-2003, 07:51 PM
Awesome! I love the textures, could you post a wire?
Also the books in the top right have a symbol on them that looks like D'ni (from the myst games) writing, Is that your own symbol, or did use use a d'ni character?

JHarford
11-12-2003, 08:04 PM
great work
fanboy!

ZeroNeuro
11-12-2003, 08:30 PM
Stejahen: Guilty as charged on the D'ni font. I was playtesting Uru and couldnt resist...

Here is a wire although I doubt you can see anything from it. There isnt a hidden line removal in Maya.

http://www.zeroneuro.com/reel/stillwire.jpg

Garma
11-12-2003, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Array
It would probably take substantially longer to render, which is critical in a production environment (this is for a demo reel after all).

I experienced that myself today :thumbsdow. I watched LotR 1 while tweaking the GI settings. When I was satisfied and tried to render at a higher res, maya decided to crash due to memory problems :cry:

slaughters
11-12-2003, 09:09 PM
Words like "Richly textured" come to mind. Nice job.

Does the fortune told in the Tarrot cards have any meaning, or is it just a random collection?

ShinChanPu
11-12-2003, 09:31 PM
:thumbsup:
Nice render....
But I miss different values in specular, or glossiness properties in such amount of different materials. For example.... reflection on metals (chains...)

Agent D
11-12-2003, 09:44 PM
Hey, congratulations on the front page plug! Great scene, I like how you've included Spooky in there... :applause:

SimonReeves
11-12-2003, 10:04 PM
Its good to see this finished zero, if it really is finished ;)

looks great though.. old skool lighting is fun :thumbsup:

Array
11-12-2003, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by Boyd Lake

BTW, Ambient Occlusion and GI are the same thing.

Bah....dont want to get into a whole semantics debate again....BUT....no they arent. Ambient occlusion is a specific algorithm, GI describes a group of physically based algorithms. Ambient occlusion is not physically based, therefore it is not a GI algorithm, nor is it the same thing as GI.

You can read a whole article about it here:

http://www.cgnetworks.com/story.php?story_id=1724

AmnesicElephant
11-12-2003, 10:37 PM
SPOOKY!!!!!! haha very nice. Love the mechanic skull thingy. Nice work.

Quarob
11-12-2003, 11:02 PM
I love it. :thumbsup:

leigh
11-12-2003, 11:05 PM
Hmm I like the modelling, and the textures are nicely painted but overall I think the scene looks a little too busy and also it looks very oversaturated to me...

I'm not sure if you were trying to go for a very painterly look, but somehow something just doesn't look right... I think that perhaps it really comes down to the abundance of rich tones and oversaturation that just kinda bothers me.

Stahlberg
11-12-2003, 11:53 PM
Very nice, I love the little hairy doll-skull, the books, the big skull and those creepy mechanical eyes... but as Boyd pointed out I think there should be more variety in the the specularity. Now it looks like most of it is Blinn with medium values, try Phong E on the fruit for instance (with the top spec param over 1, the second to around 0.2 - 0.3).

Also, what Leigh said - I think what she's seeing is the fact that all your highlights are too yellow, which happens when you have warm colors in the color channels, and especially when you light it with warm light. I think you should put some blue in all or most of the spec channels. (At least the fruit and the skull and anything paper and leather, metal things no.)
This might help: http://www.androidblues.com/shadetut.html

derelict
11-13-2003, 01:31 AM
The SKULL! Finally nailed that bugger onto a scene! Now you have a new piece to tag along with your pirate table top (which you posted like 16 month ago?).

Anyway splendid work. Other than the saturated thing that ms leigh mentioned, it is the red signs on the big skull. Somehow it looks to be bleeding overly on the skull. I think it would be nice if it was somewhat less watercolourish and more painted sharpness. I know for a fact it cant be blood because it is still red and we all know blood turns brownish when dried.

Now i have two table top skull imagesfrom you. Will there be a part 3? To complete the cycle?

arliss
11-13-2003, 03:00 AM
I really like your attention to detail- the texturing is amazing and I feel the composition works really well in regards to the amount of objects within the scene- great work!!:)

oxyg3n
11-13-2003, 08:57 AM
I like the scene the colors seem saturated to me but that doesnt bother me at all. What gave you the idea to model such an interesting scene?

Noodlz
11-13-2003, 09:25 AM
how long did it take for you to do that dogg? top job! :thumbsup:

GFX-Arts
11-13-2003, 09:52 AM
really great work :)

Bercon
11-13-2003, 10:11 AM
To me it looks like those chains would be floating.

But those green eyes really fit into it in my opinion. :)

DaKrunch
11-13-2003, 10:17 AM
love it!

made me think of the studio of my friend... a VERY deep D&D player. heheh

love the chains!

elektronaut
11-13-2003, 10:26 AM
like that picture... nice lighting... nice staging... perfect ;)

keep on working

cheers
marco.

Kid-Mesh
11-13-2003, 12:09 PM
Very nice job indeed, it has a treasure island feel to it.

-KM

CONNAN
11-13-2003, 12:53 PM
The doll-skull wouldn't happen to be Spooky, the thing what sqweeks... if it is than kudos for adding a pinch of Johnan V.

ZeroNeuro
11-13-2003, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by CONNAN
The doll-skull wouldn't happen to be Spooky, the thing what sqweeks... if it is than kudos for adding a pinch of Johnan V.

Heheh yes it is indeed. :) Since this was a personal project for my reel and portfolio I decided to have some fun with things.

JA-forreal
11-13-2003, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by ZeroNeuro
[B]This is a scene I did for my demo reel. I really would like to do more to it, but I have to move on so I can finish it up. I'll post the breakdown soon.

All shadows are mapped, no GI, no raytracing, no occlusion.

Cheers (and I hope you like it.)

Great work! I love to play around with advanced GI renders and the like. But when it comes to rolling out a presentation the long render times for GI, etc, make using it for my daily real world renders impractical. Forreal.

bleu
11-13-2003, 05:58 PM
So much detail, niiice.
Love the high contrast to (unless it's my computer screen).

I prefer old fashion lighting, not only because of the increase render speed, mostly because I feel that I'm more in control.

JasonA
11-13-2003, 08:25 PM
I'm enjoying the detail in this scene, even if it does look a bit busy. Great job!

btw, your wires can look more understandable if you turn on Backface Culling. You mentioned in an earlier post that maya doesn't hide hidden lines -- thats not correct. Either set your general preferences with backface culling on as a default preference, or set it for each surface (you may have to do this if you started your scene with it off in the general preferences) under the Shape Node in the Mesh Component Display rollout. You can set Backface Culling to Full there

cheers!
:buttrock:

Magnusv
11-15-2003, 06:20 PM
Looks good,the set up and all,I like the layout.But it seems way too saturated.Still overall pretty nice,interesting piece.:beer:

charithmax
11-18-2003, 03:28 AM
cool! i like it :thumbsup:

i really like the texturing

keep the good work going!

Tilstrom
11-24-2003, 11:39 AM
Very cool work. Well done. :D

nicolasambrosio
12-14-2003, 04:15 PM
:applause: great job man

blueglitchman
12-16-2003, 02:06 AM
Great Work!!! I like the "Treasure Planet" kinda style :thumbsup:

Sublime
12-22-2003, 10:46 PM
Great job, I love the look of all the models and textures, however reworking the lighting on this particular image would make a world of difference.

Some contrast lighting, maybe some dark low saturation blue with some orange fire-type lighting(like candlelight), subtle rim lighting. I just get the feeling that some of the objects are floating and it would be nice to get them attached to the objects their in contact with, and feel more of a mood.

Anyhow, that's just some comments to think about. Other than that lighting stuff, I love it, keep it up.

DoLeeP
12-23-2003, 02:37 AM
WOW very nice work I love it

hussienhussien
12-30-2003, 04:49 AM
i like the attention to detail you put into your scene.:bounce:

ibeliveicanfly
12-30-2003, 08:22 AM
WOW,WOW..
cool....:buttrock:

Drakaran
01-02-2004, 12:46 AM
mapped shadows.. I wonder if that's why it looks so 2d... hmm. the background fruit especially look flat. I would have also liked to see more vibrant colors,e verything looks rather washed out.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.