PDA

View Full Version : Update UI Field(s) during playback/scrubbing

pepperFish
12-11-2011, 03:55 AM
Apologies if this is a silly question or already answered. I had a look before posting but couldn't find anything.

Is there any way of updating the fields in a UI in realtime, while playing back an animation, or scrubbing the timeline? I assume there isn't because I can't seem to find a way to enable that functionality in either the Attribute Editor or Channel Box.

At this stage I'm thinking I'll need to write an 'updateUI()' function to be called by an Expression on an animated object, but would like to hear any other suggestions.

FraserRobertson
12-13-2011, 07:40 AM
If you really wanted to see some values you could connect them up to the HUD maybe?

pepperFish
12-13-2011, 08:28 AM
That could work really well, thanks. I was a bit stuck in the idea of a window, but don't think I need to be.
I'll have a play

Nyro
12-13-2011, 08:40 AM
scriptJobs and scriptNodes, just like expressions, can update on each frame during playblack.

NaughtyNathan
12-13-2011, 10:12 AM
Is there any way of updating the fields in a UI in realtime, while playing back an animation, or scrubbing the timeline? I assume there isn't because I can't seem to find a way to enable that functionality in either the Attribute Editor or Channel Box.
There isn't, because maya has been deliberately designed to deactivate the GUI during playback (for efficiencies sake I assume?). That's not to say you can't bash-up a workaround like so many other people have done for similar things in Maya, as has already been suggested, just be aware that you are fighting against how Maya wants to be operating (so don't get upset when you get little or wierd results! ;) )

The HUD suggestion is a good workaround, and have you thought about numerical particle readouts too? These update dynamically and can be connected to attributes, but it all really depends on what data you want to see updating?

:nathaN

CGTalk Moderation
12-13-2011, 10:12 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.