PDA

View Full Version : What to do in this situation?

MikeCR
12-06-2011, 04:24 PM
hi there.

4 months ago I bought a new PC which was custom built (at the shop). Since then, the time Ive had it in my possesion has been about 2 months. Now will be the fourth time I get the same booting error since I bought it.

What happens is that randomly the whole systems locks up, goes to blue screen and restarts. on restarting I get the message

"CD-ROM boot priority.. no medium
Reboot and select proper Boot Device"

and thats the end of it, I have to take it back to the shop to get it repaired. I dont know a whole lot about how these things work. Every time they tell me its something else, and I've even paid the difference for changing some of the hardware which was "uncompatible"....

the current hardware specs are as follows:

Asus Sabertooth x58

Intel i7 960¨
core i7, 4x 3.2 Ghz¨

Corsair DDR3 1600MHz 12GB

ASUS GTX 560 Ti DCII
1024MB
Nvidia Geforce

Western Digital Caviar Black

theres an SSD in there someplace...

So Im getting pretty tired of these PC issues and I'm actually hesitating on trying to get my money back and going for a mac ( probably a macbook, but maybe an iMac). just I'm not sure if its worth it, hopefully someone can enlighten me.

The programs I use are Maya, adobe suite (mainly photoshop, Aftereffect, premiere), toonboom, and some sound editing software.

I do mainly animation, but I still need to be able to render correctly. so what would be the solution? a macbook, another simpler PC, the same faulty PC I already own?

Vilandra
12-06-2011, 04:41 PM
Sounds like you need to change the boot order. You need to go into the BIOS and change the first boot device to your HDD, and not the CD-ROM.

If that doesnt work, it could also be a dead CMOS battery, or a HDD failure.

qwatkins
12-06-2011, 10:05 PM
Could you take a picture of your power supply and RAM and post it. Faulty power supplies can create general instability that seems "random" as well as junk RAM too.

Some builders try to cut corners in these areas by substituting generic lower quality parts to maximize profits and just hedge their bets against unsuspecting buyers.

EDIT: You might also just compare all the parts/brands against the builders' claimed specification to see if they match up.

olson
12-06-2011, 10:11 PM
So Im getting pretty tired of these PC issues and I'm actually hesitating on trying to get my money back and going for a mac ( probably a macbook, but maybe an iMac). just I'm not sure if its worth it, hopefully someone can enlighten me.

I get that you're frustrated because I've been there. But I've also been there with other manufacturers including Apple (had same model monitor replaced twice and later a MacBook Pro power adapter also replaced twice). They make hardware, hardware fails (sometimes sooner rather than later). If you want to try a Mac then go for it, just realize they are prone to failure just like any other electronic device.

Have the shop determine the problem and fix it. I'd say the problem is likely the motherboard or the hard disk. If they refuse to fix it then take your business elsewhere and/or talk to the BBB or local chamber of commerce if they are members. If the issues persist then have them try alternate components and double check the basics like is there adequate cooling. Even if you decide to get a Mac have them fix the machine anyway so you can sell it, or maybe they'll flat out give you a refund if you push.

brianod
12-07-2011, 01:00 AM
My guess is that the boot drive (usually C) has lost data or is intermittently bad. After your OS can't find the proper files on your boot drive, it tries the next device on your boot sequence, usually a CD or DVD drive. It can't find the boot files on that so the boot process fails.

You say you have an SSD in there somewhere. That must be your C: drive (boot device). SSD's are notoriously prone to failures. Ask them to take the SSD out and reload your OS to a traditional hard drive. See if that fixes your problem. My second guess would be the power supply. Good luck.

Srek
12-07-2011, 06:44 AM
If your SSD isn't connected to the main on board controller but a secondary controller (Marvel etc.) it might have happened that it wasn't recognized at some point and thus has been removed from the boot list.
In the setup make sure that the real boot drive (very likely the SSD) is selected as the first boot option.

MikeCR
12-07-2011, 08:19 PM
Hi thanks for the input. Here is a picture of my BIOS screen, and the options I get when selecting stuff. I prefer not too fiddle with it because I don't really know what I'm doing, unless someone can tell me what to do by what you can see here.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14772010/BIOS.jpg

here are some pictures of the inside. doesnt really look to me like anything is misplaced

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14772010/Hardware.jpg

Now here are some thoughts. In the room where I have my PC there is one plug. From there I have a big multiplug which supplies my PC, a monitor ( used to be 2), 2 printers, desk lamps, speakers and sometimes I plug in other electrical things such as a small sound mixing deck or guitar amp.... could this be causing problems, notabely with the SSD seeing as it is power supply sensitive?

Lets say the SSD is the problem and is faulty.... if I swap it for a top of the line traditional hard drive (which should come cheaper than the SSD) would i have less problems? and how much would performance suffer?

thanks,
Mike

Srek
12-08-2011, 07:00 AM
The screenshots are from the marvell controller bios, you will need to check the normal system bios for the boot priorities.
I had similar problems as you with a SSD connected via a marvell controller and the solution was an incorrect boot order that got mixed up when at one time the SSD produced a timeout on startup.

CGTalk Moderation
12-08-2011, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.