PDA

View Full Version : Extruding edges

Shinova
11-12-2003, 09:09 AM
I've tried extruding an edge and yes it does that, but no in the way I'd hope. In Maya when you extrude edge it makes a flat paper-like face out of the edge. That's the effect I want. How do I recreate that in XSI?

ThE_JacO
11-12-2003, 09:20 AM
they need to be bonduary edges to be extruded like that.
bonduary edges are unshared ones, those sitting on one polygon only (IE think rims of a skirt).

ctrl+d to duplicate the edge and then movie it around.
or if you prefer u can extrude it, extrude it along a curve etc. etc.

tachy0n
11-12-2003, 12:51 PM
Basically XSI doesn't support edges shared by more than 2 polygons at the same time. Nor should be trying to create such edges in the first place, since they can cause serious headaches when used as SubDs. Even Maya will refuse to create a SubD out of them...

Shinova
11-12-2003, 06:19 PM
I usually do that to extrude that edge, then do an extrude face. That way I can make, say, a windowsill with two operations.

But I'll see what I can do.

Atyss
11-14-2003, 05:57 AM
Something that you could do is to duplicate the edge, move it around like Jaco said, and then bevel it. Not exacly what you want, but maybe it can help.

Cheers
Bernard

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.