PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question for demo reel (spakman?)

Parasite7
06-10-2002, 05:56 AM
ok, i know this question is always asked, but i want to tell everyone a little about what i want to do. i have two different scenerios to choose from.

1. model like 8-12 low poly characters, animate them, and import alot of them into quake 3. i will edit the reel with video from in game and just rendered avis.

2. create 3-5 high poly, reduce them to about 3k polys and just animate them basically and not have them in quake 3. i am takin spakman's advice on this but im not sure this will show that i am very into games.

i need feedback please. i am going for option 1 but spakman prefers 2 and he works for factor 5 so....

well thanks everyone.

Parasite7
06-10-2002, 06:15 AM
also if i go with the high poly option i will not be able to texture them. won't have enough time.

Parasite7
06-10-2002, 08:41 PM
can u guys please leave reasons why you pick an option plese?

Rivendale
06-10-2002, 08:51 PM
I voted for the first one because texturing is also very important, and if you´re a character modeller, there´s a big chance that you are going to be making the textures for your characters yourself so the employer will want to see that too.
Tip- don´t rush it. Make sure that what you submit is something you´re proud of. Why do you have a time-limit?

spakman
06-10-2002, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by Parasite7
ok, i know this question is always asked...

but im not sure this will show that i am very into games.

You are most likely going to be given a test at whatever company is looking at you. If the company has a specific spot open, you can guarantee that's what they will test you on. (The company at this stage is mostly concerned with getting back on schedule),

If not, then then it may be a crapshoot as to what they test you one, but it will most likely be on something you have in your demo.

The simplest solution (and all that is needed IMHO), would be one 15k model of a real person. The person doesn't have to be famous - but you need to see what's real in order to know what to fake and exagerate. What does this mean? No shoulder pads. No comicbook calves and biceps. All that stuff is for when you've got your job. You aren't the conceptual artist, you get handed what the conceptual artist gives you.

Now try to set up your character and show different poses. Don't worry about knowing how to animate if that's not what you want to do. Just make sure things bend right.

To stroke any parrot feathers that may get ruffled, go ahead and include a few LODs if you like. But trust me, if you know how to build a hirez model that's easy to setup, you will by default know how to LOD.

MOST IMPORTANT ---> Nobody will ever see your model in the pose you modelled it in. That shape does not exist in the Runtime. Only as many shapes as the setup and animator doods could wrangle out of a model. If you screw up the layout, the animators are gonna give you dirty looks. The only time they won't is if you are building ancient statues of people or something for the ambience. d;^)

Keep in mind, this is totally just my opinion. Hope this helps.

Parasite7
06-11-2002, 01:34 AM
so spakman out of the two which one do u think i should go with. i will probably model one high. i can model high, but i love games. and i will do 1 lod. so make the first option 7-9 low poly and 1 high poly with lod's. is that ok then?

SeanW
06-11-2002, 06:07 AM
I think that sounds the best, show them a little of everything. Thats the approach im going to go with. Also do you know what you want to do? It might be in your best interest to concentrate more on texturing then animating since at a lot of companies modeling and texturing go hand and hand. But, thats only my opinion.

Parasite7
06-11-2002, 07:43 AM
see heres the problem. i can't draw for shit. i can't use photoshop for shit. but if u give me a front side and a brief description of the character (likes, dislikes, attitude, quotes he or she might say, etc) i can model the $%^& out of it. i love modeling. i can rig, paint weights, and do sum basic animations. thats my problem. i know i should really practice texturing but i can't paint. so im havin a friend paint my models http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5921. he is one of the most talented people i know. he can model and texture like a mad man.

spakman
06-11-2002, 06:28 PM
so spakman out of the two which one do u think i should go with. i will probably model one high. i can model high, but i love games. and i will do 1 lod. so make the first option 7-9 low poly and 1 high poly with lod's. is that ok then?

I don't like either option and would do neither myself. So I abstain from voting.

sorry dood :beer:

Parasite7
06-11-2002, 07:23 PM
i need this demo reel more to graduate college. i will customize it later to send to job oppurtunities. spakman can i see some of your work. i know you work for factor 5 but would just like to see some models u have personally created.

spakman
06-11-2002, 07:38 PM
i need this demo reel more to graduate college. i will customize it later to send to job oppurtunities. spakman can i see some of your work. i know you work for factor 5 but would just like to see some models u have personally created.

I'm afraid the best I can do is point you to the Luke Skywalker model in the hangars; the pilots in the mission selection room (Including the sullustans), Darth Vader, in the bonus mission, the crashed star destroyer on Kothlis (those tunnels were snuck into the design and the LDs liked 'em), the death star core, and about half of the various kinds of debris.

Alas all my old personal stuff isn't readily accessible to me, and I haven't created any new personal stuff in quite some time as my job gives me my creative fix, so I can play the game of Life during my off hours.

Most of my other professional stuff never got released due to that Learning Company/Mattel fiasco a couple years ago that ate up two companies, I worked for and spit them out as grissle. Yet the work is still under NDA.

Parasite7
06-11-2002, 07:54 PM
thats cool, but sux that u can't really show ur work. but i totally understand with nda policies. so do u think i am screwd if i can't texture?

spakman
06-11-2002, 08:03 PM
...so do u think i am screwd if i can't texture?

Depends on whether you like it or not. If you love texturing but suck at it, then, yes, you are screwed. Practice tends to unscrew things better than a wrench tho.

Me, I can't texture. Don't want to texture. Don't want to practice texturing, and don't texture. So my lack of texture skills haven't screwed anything in this end.

I would, however, Learn UV Theory and how to set those up. Your texture artist will love you for it and let you steal some smokes (or candy), and even pens sometimes.

L8 d=^)

MosaFacku
06-11-2002, 09:37 PM
so, if we suck texturing, what should we show? just shaded models with a single color and a wireframe?? im working on getting better making textures but im definately not good enough. but i am confident with modeling and animation.

spakman
06-11-2002, 10:08 PM
It entirely depends on what you want to do. I wanted to animate, and had to learn modelling and setup to animate. So I came from that side. I didn't even know how to UV until I came here (and some at my work would argue that I still don't know how to UV).

I really only care about topology as to how it affects the animation. Consequently if I want to do realistic animation, I need a model that has a layout for motion.

Then we've got the other organics guy here, and he's more of a professional photographer, only he takes these superb pictures of his mind. A single captured moment. So he's fantastic at doing everything required to create a masterpiece worthy of any wall. (lighting, color, unbelievable textures, beautiful topology). But he can't animated or do setup (if he did it wouldn't be fair).

So yeah, you can show just a greyscale model. But you had better build in all the wrinkles, so the light plays realistically over the form.

The more realistic you go, the less the texture artist has to cheat, and the more time the texture artist can spend thinking of new ways to show true texture, instead of clown makeup.

The trick is to pick one thing you want to do and then learn only of the other disciplines that which is required to make you an indespensible member of the team.

It is never more true than now, (except when later shows up)

"Jack of all trades, master of none"

All the Jacks have been taken already in this game.

MosaFacku
06-12-2002, 12:07 AM
So yeah, you can show just a greyscale model. But you had better build in all the wrinkles, so the light plays realistically over the form.

is this going with the idea that i should build hi res models to put on my demo reel? what about lower poly counts. i'm going to siggraph and im in the process of building models to show to whoever is interested and so far, they're really low like under 2k. what do you think would be the best way to showcase them? graduation is still a good 6 months away so i am going to make sure i have good hi res stuff for my reel by the time i graduate, so i don't want you to think that i'm turning a deaf ear to all the advice that has come out of this forum by not doing hi res, its just that i'm better at low res right now and low res is all i have to show right now.

spakman
06-12-2002, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by MosaFacku

...i'm going to siggraph and im in the process of building models to show to whoever is interested and so far, they're really low like under 2k.

The easiest way to find out would be to email different game companies and ask them. The worst they could do is not reply.

Find out ahead of time, so you can tailor your stuff to them without reworking everything. Heck, it could be the same art, but you could point out different areas of interest to companies that have different areas of interest.

MosaFacku
06-12-2002, 01:21 AM
thanks man, i really appreciate the help. i have been contacting various people at different companies in hopes of meeting up at siggraph. so thank again.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.