PDA

View Full Version : Paths Problem I Think

Mickey
11-12-2003, 04:24 AM
Hey everyone. I just finished up my first flash webpage and I wanted to add a loading bar because the swf file is a meg. So I read up on them and added the loading bar no sweat in a separate scene in front of the scene that has my website on it. However when the loading bar finishes and goes to the next scene suddenly none of my buttons and movie clips work. I was reading about it and I think the problem has something to do with my paths, but I'm new to Flash and I can't seem to get them working no matter what I try for the path. So what does my path need to be for when I want to play a movieclip when you roll over a button. I basically have something like this...

button.onRollOver() {
movieclip.play();
}

You get the idea. The button and movieclip are both in my second scene with the rest of everything. So what do I need to put for the paths to get it to work if that is the problem? I also read that when you have multiple scenes the frames are counted consecutively, but when I look at my scenes they both start with frame 1...I tried moving everything in the second scene back the number of frames the first scene would take up but that didn't work either...

Any help is greatly appreciated. I can post my files if you would like.

Thanks

Ian Jones
11-12-2003, 06:39 AM
I never use scene's... so can't help you there. However, what I often find is that a path to a MC usually needs to have "_root" or the level number. So your code would now look like this:

button.onRollOver() {
_root.movieclip.play();
}

That tells Flash a much more specific place to find the MC.

Mickey
11-12-2003, 11:58 AM
I tried that I think, but I'll try it again at school. The thing that seems to be wrong is that when I click on the buttons only the first frame or two of the movie clips seems to play. Do I need to redo the frame numbers inside my individual movie clips?

Eman597
11-19-2003, 12:24 AM
can someone please answer this question??? i know that tons of you guru's have made loading bars that worked, so if you could please help us out that would be great!

mmProj
11-20-2003, 11:51 AM
hi to you,

hmmmmmmm i just tried to use your code and i couldnt get it to work....... do you use it on the root level or is it script actually on a button ?

try this for action script on your root level... buttonName can be a button symbol or movie symbol

_root.buttonName.onRollOver = function() {
_root.movieClip.gotoAndPlay(2);
};

or action script actually on a button.

on (rollOver) {
_root.movieClip.gotoAndPlay(2);
}

hope this helps.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.