PDA

View Full Version : Monster run @3 metres/sec

chluaid
12-03-2011, 11:05 AM
I haven't used Maya in production for a few years so I apologise if this is common knowledge these days. Recently though I landed a job animating enemies for a game.

For one of the monster run cycles, the director told me it needs to run 3 metres per second. It's a 1-second cycle and I've finished the animation but not sure if he runs exactly 3 metres. Anyone know of a tutorial or perhaps can provide me a simple bulleted list to run through animating to exact distances like this?

Lomax
12-03-2011, 05:35 PM
The first thing to find out is whether Maya and the game engine treat distance the same. If they don't, probably the easiest solution would be to save out a 3-meter box from the engine, and use that to get the proper distance in Maya.

chluaid
12-03-2011, 10:22 PM
Thanks for the reply Lomax. The characters are provided to me fully rigged and set up so I'm hoping it's a simple matter of eyeballing the stride distance on the grid. Otherwise, I just wondered if there's a special technique or tool in Maya 2012 that allows precise stride measurement.
Thanks again

Lomax
12-04-2011, 03:06 PM
No tool that I'm aware of. The best bet would be to key the root node on the first and last frames, and move it 3 meters forward on the last. Then it's just a matter of making sure the feet don't slide. But again, first you'd need to make sure that a meter is the same in Maya as it is in the engine.

CGTalk Moderation
12-04-2011, 03:06 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.