PDA

View Full Version : What is your most valuable Photoshop tip?

singularity2006
11-12-2003, 02:32 AM
After discovering a few really cool functions, I have discovered a new way to make my life so very much easier, the Photoshop contact sheet.... the automation is quite lovely. For those of u who do a lot of automation work, what tips can you share; what are your most favorite Photoshop automation tips?

Stroker
11-12-2003, 02:41 AM
One boon to me has been learning how to recycle actions. If I have an existing action that is close to something that I want to do, I'll add what I need and turn of things that I don't.

An older example:
1. ctrl + a
2. ctrl + shift + c
3. ctrl + n
4. enter
5. ctrl + v
6. ctrl + e

By turning certain parts on/off, I can get that one action to do quite a few different things with out having to record a new action or hit all of the shortcuts.

Levitateme
11-14-2003, 06:03 PM
This soundslame, but the greatest tip i can give is to get the Total training disc from deke mcellend. i think im spelling his name wrong, im in school. but the stuf fi have learned from his photoshop 7 disc are overwhelming. very very good stuff , i just got his illustrator package also, although i have not got to watch them yet. im still watching his photoshop 7.

singularity2006
11-14-2003, 06:04 PM
sounds good, can you give some examples of what's in the disc? Where can we get the disc, and how much?

stallion151
11-15-2003, 07:28 AM
yeh i got photoshop 5 for dummies (by Deke) ages ago and it was chock block full of great things. I learnt so much from him.

God_Hawk
11-15-2003, 02:21 PM
Here is a link to his site Deke McClelland (http://www.dekemc.com/)

conga
11-15-2003, 07:48 PM
press F

for full screen mode :buttrock:

blinking8s
11-15-2003, 08:41 PM
its all about the hot keys and the gaussian blur...

Czernobog
11-15-2003, 11:14 PM
quick mask. enough said.

stallion151
11-16-2003, 02:56 AM
yeh just now, i had to use the quick mask for a huge render problem, took an hour but saved me so much time.
...i seem to be agreeing with everyone else here. thats a good tip ;)

leigh
11-16-2003, 06:19 AM
Layers layers layers layers layers layers layers layers layers layers layers layers layers layers layers layers layers...

policarpo
11-16-2003, 07:32 PM
Actions Actions Actions and Layers Layers Layers!

I have my PS setup as follows:

1. F5= new layer
2. F6= duplicate laer
3. F12=delete layer

Layer shortcuts that rock:
Linked items with CMD+E=merge linked
Option Click layer loads the selection

Adjustment Layers also rock. I witsh all the filters cou'd be turned into adjustment layers...

Bronwen
11-16-2003, 09:10 PM
Adjustment layers are my favourite tool. I'm constantly using them to non-destructively adjust and image. This helps avoid banding after multiple adjustments. Oh, yeah, and layer masks. No erasing or for me! What if I need that info back later?

-Bronwen

peach4at
11-17-2003, 11:58 AM
no need to waste F-keys...
strg+j = duplicate layer
shift+strg+n= new layer
shift+alt+strg+n = new layer, std. name

hold down alt when deleting layers!

chach
11-17-2003, 02:48 PM
1) Masking, with Paths and Quick Mask are key to all things photoshop.
2) F x2 & Tab make your workstation presentations seem much more professional
3) secrets like alt + cntrl + shift + 'save action' outputs a text file you can use for ... magik

llxxRiCExxll
11-17-2003, 09:29 PM
Layers are your friends :thumbsup:

Layer masks are essential to making things look perty =P

halo
11-17-2003, 11:59 PM
ctrl or command S ;)

command/control option T = transform and make a copy

command/control option shift T = transform as before and make a copy....ie step and repeat (works with paths as well)

command/control A, command/control shift c= copy all layers as if they were merged

command/control option F = open last filter dialogue

option clicking buttons in lensflare and others allows precise x + y coords

http://www.digitalretouch.org/download/hotkeys/PS7HotKeys-Mac.pdf

for pc users swap command for control

Noisefields
11-18-2003, 12:33 PM
Never underestimate the power of simple gradients and brushes.

Make your own brush

Only use simple filters and actions, or else your stop in your personal development (and you won't get far with "wooden frame" in your proffesional area's either :).

Learn all the shortcuts.

Never ever ever try to make something from a simple, empty document. It's a inspiration killer. Have an idea first.

n9npp
11-19-2003, 12:20 AM
Hi policarpo,

By reading your reply I get the impression that you can assign hot keys in PhotoShop. Please tell me how this is done or where to do it.

I have done this in CorelDraw but thought it not available in PS. Or am I wrong?

Thanks
Matt

JuggleNuts
11-19-2003, 12:15 PM
I made an action that centers the layer on the canvas. Of course, I had to set it to F2 to correspond with LightWave.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.