PDA

View Full Version : Character: Fun Character

S. J. Tubbrit
11-12-2003, 12:08 AM
The Modelling And Texturing are finished, so essentially, the character is complete bar the rigging, but was just wondering what peoples general opinions of the character are?

http://www.steven-tubbrit.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/BC.jpg

Thanks

sonix
11-12-2003, 12:51 AM
Cool character. He/she seems to have a verticle line below the chin and a matching horizontal one at the top of the right leg but apart from that, very nice work.

Texture/shader is very good too.

Sonix.

nickyH
11-12-2003, 12:53 AM
Excellent model!!! It seems to have it's own personality and i love the soft velvety texture u have on it. Beautiful work..:):applause:

What software did you use and what texture have you got on this adorable creature?

Excellent work :D

nickyH

kinan
11-12-2003, 12:54 AM
Hey ! I like that !

S. J. Tubbrit
11-12-2003, 01:22 AM
Hi,

thanks for your replies.

Sonix : -

Thanks, I've fixed that now, it was just that I didn't put much overlap in the colours in my UV textures. :)

NickyH : -

I use Maya primarily, the character has only 1 colour map and nothing else, which is made up of the colours you see, I have then added my own velvet shader to the overall character, with a very light grey colour as the falloff, I have a tutorial here on the velvet shader : -

Velvet Shader Tutorial (http://www.steven-tubbrit.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Tutorials/Tutorial_05.htm)

I was mainly going for a bright, bouncy sort of character with an emphasis on colourful, the character is to be rendered out and will be used as a sprite (animated) in a children's orientated computer game, nothing commercial though.

Kinan : -

Thanks

Atwooki
11-12-2003, 01:23 AM
It(?) is a lovely simple character,Steve :)

My only 'instant' crit would be that the eyebows need 'rounding-off' at the inner and outer corners to help fit in with the overall style you've got there....and possibly thicken up the thumb, from the'nail to thumb-pad' area a touch (does that make sense?) at their tips

thanks for your tutorials BTW - Excellent :thumbsup:

Atwooki

nickyH
11-12-2003, 01:26 AM
Dude ...excellent and simple velvet shader tutorial...Thanx for sharing that...!!!.....I'm not good with creating shaders, so that really helps:thumbsup:

nickyH

S. J. Tubbrit
11-12-2003, 01:34 AM
Hi,

Just to confirm, 'it' is a 'he', he'll be voiced with a male accent, he'll essentially stand in the corner of the game screen and 'egg' the players on, provide amusing information and get up to general antics. I see what you mean about the thumb, maybe I can look at that later.

Glad you like the tutorials, I'm sure they can be improved upon tenfold but they mostly acted as a guide for myself to return to as need be, I just published them online because I though others could gain 'something' from them.

It's kind of strange, I'm mostly used to creating high-res super detailed anatomically correct models, but it's sooo nice to work on something so simplistic, and I feel I have gotten more out of it than I do out of my high-res charactes, I can see why aardman keep things simple so often. Like your Mr. Tweedy by the way. :)

Atwooki
11-12-2003, 02:02 AM
Hi Steve:
I feel I have gotten more out of it than I do out of my high-res charactes,

I feel exactly the same way; kind of like a day-ja vu (re: JennDowns on these boards, recently) having just that discussion......

I'm doing my own project at the moment, and it's soooo refreshing to consider different modelling, set-up, shader networks; well, everything really for a change :lightbulb:lightbulb:love:

cheers!

Atwooki

charithmax
11-12-2003, 03:37 AM
cool! i like it!:thumbsup:

i think u should add some more details so itll be great!

great work!:thumbsup:

inaktive
11-12-2003, 05:26 AM
man... ,makes me want to model a super simple character!

S. J. Tubbrit
11-12-2003, 08:16 AM
Hi,

Charithmax - thanks, I don't think I'll be adding any more details, as he'll be rendered out fairly small, and he had to be readable at such a small rendered size. :)

Thanks again

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.