PDA

View Full Version : createNode "gimbal " controller

rudiHammad
12-01-2011, 08:16 PM
Hi,
I want to create kind of a gimbal controller like the one you see here
controller (http://www.google.com/imgres?q=paul+neal+rig&um=1&hl=en&biw=1280&bih=686&tbm=isch&tbnid=0FMTarNYsC7BTM:&imgrefurl=http://furyofaseraph.deviantart.com/art/Paul-Neale-Style-Rig-03-54535662&docid=nX6MyplWY57qfM&itg=1&imgurl=http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs18/f/2007/123/6/4/Paul_Neale_Style_Rig_03_by_FuryofaSeraph.jpg&w=640&h=480&ei=GO7XTrP2MImyhAeVysGvDg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=385&vpy=312&dur=1047&hovh=194&hovw=259&tx=141&ty=66&sig=105793221937529884570&page=1&tbnh=142&tbnw=189&start=0&ndsp=16&ved=1t:429,r:6,s:0)

I know it is createNode something but I donīt remember what. You can also create a cube controller, but again, I donīt remember the words.
You know what I am talking about?

Cheers

animatedfox
12-01-2011, 08:35 PM
Not sure what you mean by "gimbal controller".
Do you mean implicit spheres/cubes?

createNode implicitSphere;
createNode implicitBox;
createNode implicitCone;

Maybe?!?

rudiHammad
12-01-2011, 08:55 PM
Yes!! exactly,implicitSphere, thanks! :buttrock:

edit: okey, thatīs the shape I want, but the problem is that it is a deformer, and usually I hide all deformers. No way to have that implicetSphere shape as a curve or nurb right?

animatedfox
12-01-2011, 09:10 PM
You can use any geomery: nurbs or poly whatever.
Just uncheck "Shading" in the drawing overrides.
You will also want to uncheck all the render visibilities to make sure that it doesn't render.
Hope that helps.
~Ben

rudiHammad
12-01-2011, 09:24 PM
yea, but the thing is that to keep things clean, I use only curves to do controllers. I dont like using polygons for the rig controllers, because I have a very organize pipeline...ummmm,
I guess Iīll end up drawing a controller with the curves.
Thanks anyway.

animatedfox
12-02-2011, 04:04 AM
Well, that makes sense...
Not to be snippy, but you didn't say you needed curves only in your first two posts.
I wouldn't have posted either of my other suggestions if you had.
But anyway...here are some thoughts to try and help.
There are surely some ready made curve controls out there if you give a search.
I found this one at creative crash;
http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/downloads/scene-files/c/control-handles
I didn't try it...but it seems to be just what you are looking for.
If you really want to do it yourself, you can use a shape (cube or sphere) to trace with edge/vert snap and it should be easy. Do it once and keep the output from the script editor to create more as needed.
Hopefully this is finally what you are looking for.
All the best.
~Ben

rudiHammad
12-03-2011, 08:52 PM
Hey, thanks for the link. Very helpful

yea, I didnīt mention at the beginning that I was looking for curve kind of object because I thought that the impliciteSphere was a curve.

If you really want to do it yourself, you can use a shape (cube or sphere) to trace with edge/vert snap and it should be easy. Do it once and keep the output from the script editor to create more as needed.
Hopefully this is finally what you are looking for.
All the best.
~Ben

I did that long time a go for stuff like Fk arms, legs,etc
Iīve downloaded the file. It is great because it is all curves.I have been trying to do the ball control (like the implicitSphere) with curves but it is tricky. I am using the snap but I donīt get it quite well.
I wonder how he did the ball control with curves. :banghead:

Azrail
12-04-2011, 07:01 AM
Create 3 circles and parent their shapes under one transform (parent -s), or create three cylinders, rotate them to form the cross sections and trace them with a curve to form single object

rudiHammad
12-04-2011, 09:34 AM
right!! the parenting shape
I guess thatīs how we also do curved arrows. I mean, in order to have a curved "tail" the degree of the curve should be 2 or more. And to create the sharped triangular tip the curve should be degree 1. Or could you do that some other way?

rudiHammad
12-04-2011, 11:40 AM
I have shape parented 4 nurbsCircles. Now, how do I collapse all the shapes together?
I mean, the controller is ok, but it bothers me to see in the channel box nurbsCircleshape1,
nurbsCircleshape2,nurbsCircleshape3 under SHAPES.

#ball controller
circle(),circle(),circle()
select("nurbsCircle2.cv[0:7]"),rotate([90,0,0],r=True,os=True)
select("nurbsCircle3.cv[0:7]"),rotate([0,90,0],r=True,os=True)
parent("nurbsCircleShape2","nurbsCircleShape3","nurbsCircle1",add=True,shape=True)
delete("nurbsCircle2","nurbsCircle3")

CGTalk Moderation
12-04-2011, 11:40 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.