PDA

View Full Version : testing, is this thing still on???

twidup
11-30-2011, 03:27 PM
testing testing, hello???

hmm, wonder if this thing is still turned on,
could someone cue the lights so I can see if anyone is out there.

dilen
12-03-2011, 04:23 PM
well i am same as you buddy i cant find anyone active here

twidup
12-05-2011, 09:08 AM
well, if there is still interest in these being ran, I will get them going again after teh first of the year.

-todd

dilen
12-05-2011, 09:58 AM
well i am in y not we start posting messages they will notice and y not put up a model for people to download to so we can start unofficially a rigging challenge, what say?

D.

twidup
12-05-2011, 11:59 AM
gotta organize a few models first and sort out exactly what each challenge will be.

the first few will be more on a specific challenge, such as dealing with arms and skin slide WITHOUT using maya muscle

dilen
12-05-2011, 12:28 PM
thts perfect that would be amazing and challenging as I want to learn as much as possible. :D

D.

pooby
12-23-2011, 09:50 PM
muscles are a good idea, and it doesnt matter if only one or two people enter into it as its still interesting to follow.

chrono1081
12-28-2011, 10:54 PM
I'm horrible at rigging and came here in hopes of seeing some nice examples :/

arahullover
12-30-2011, 02:00 PM
i am also came here for rigging and animation

giordi
01-04-2012, 04:24 PM
waiting for a model here too :)

twidup
01-06-2012, 12:17 PM
ahh, now that ppl are posting in here again, I will get something whipped up

dilen
01-06-2012, 12:19 PM
yes please cant wait to rig something already :D

PaigeJ
01-13-2012, 09:13 PM
I'd like to join :)

AaronSnyder88
01-22-2012, 07:12 AM
When can we start!

dilen
01-22-2012, 08:42 AM
hopefully soon somebody who can give us a model and make it a good challenge should be fun doing it then :D

speedigy
02-02-2012, 06:25 AM
Though I am extremely new to rigging, I am definitely interested in participating.

alexwidener
02-03-2012, 08:12 PM
YES PLEASE. Granted, I'm currently rigging three models, I'd be interested in doing another.

jburford
02-09-2012, 05:29 PM
Maybe if we selected a free model from Turbo Squid to get starting Rigging on. . . And just supply a link for those interested in getting the model and taking part (would not upload here to keep it safe)

What do you all think?

giordi
02-09-2012, 07:54 PM
i think that it s two years or more ppl are trying to organize thi think in this forum and never happened . so if we dont call in a moderator and make it offcial it s never going to happen.

twidup
02-10-2012, 12:09 PM
thats part of why I stopped doing them. everyone ALWAYS chimes up about wanting to do it, but in the end, there would only ever be between two and 5 ppl submitting things.
I would get friends to donate models, and rarely would they get a thank you from anyone here, so now, a lot wont give out their models to be used, which leaves me to model them and I dont have time to do it between work and life.

honestly, if you want to do a challenge, if I can get 10 ppl to reply by the end of the day, then I will get something organized this weekend.

arahullover
02-10-2012, 03:16 PM
yes we want a challenge to improve ourselves :beer:

please please start a challenge :arteest:

jburford
02-10-2012, 10:49 PM
I am also in....

speedigy
02-11-2012, 01:32 AM
if I can get 10 ppl to reply by the end of the day, then I will get something organized this weekend.

If I had seen this yesterday, I would have posted yesterday. I'm still very interested in doing this.

codekim3d
02-12-2012, 08:58 PM
If I had seen this yesterday, I would have posted yesterday. I'm still very interested in doing this.

I hope we can get this competition off the ground. I am looking forward to checking out the models we have to rig up!

twidup
02-13-2012, 11:09 AM
3 ppl reply. forcing myself to write a new python based autorigger at home soon, so I do need some things to challenge my way of thinking anyways.

Let me get an arm tore off a model and we will start a short challenge of coming up with 2 solutions for some common problems.

Forearm twisting and shoulder

what software are you all using? I am planning on posting an FBX that will contain the model and 4 joints..clav, upper arm, forearm, and hand, with a piece of animation on it. the goal will be to skin the model to the joints, adding any systems in place to help with the set targets..forearm twist and shoulder preservation.

hows that for a start..we will spend 3 to 4 weeks on it.

-todd

arahullover
02-13-2012, 01:25 PM
Thnx :applause:

ready for accepting challenges :thumbsup:

But please don't include any code for rigging because i have no idea how to write python or Mel.

we are using Maya for rigging.

RavenEye
02-13-2012, 09:33 PM
What kind of model are you looking for for the challenge?

giordi
02-13-2012, 09:49 PM
I would suggest just share an obj (in a smart way not just post them model here , when model is done make the challeng start then share ) .
Dont share the animation cos it s useless. Probably riggers wont even use those bones

HobblesLake
02-14-2012, 09:31 PM
Can I play? :bounce: :applause: :D

alexwidener
02-14-2012, 11:31 PM
Replying to confirm that I'm interested in this. Sorry, I haven't been on for a couple days.

Using Maya.
Glad to see that this is getting up and going, I'm excited.

spazzmonkeys
02-15-2012, 04:35 AM
Dont share the animation cos it s useless. Probably riggers wont even use those bones
I don't know about that. If the point of the challenge is good deformation and how to create a system that effectively deals with forearm twist and complex shoulder rotations, I could see packaging animation with the model being a good thing.

It can be a good mechanics test for the riggers. While riggers should be able to create their own calisthenics test, it wouldn't hurt to give them one. It could also add a bit of standardization and professionalism to the test. In much the same way that shader artists sometimes display their shaders on the same model, if all the riggers are required to display the same animation on their rig, it could highlight what they accomplished. The riggers won't have to use the same bones to transfer the animation to their rig.

In any case, this sounds exciting!

giordi
02-15-2012, 05:54 AM
I don't know about that. If the point of the challenge is good deformation and how to create a system that effectively deals with forearm twist and complex shoulder rotations, I could see packaging animation with the model being a good thing.

It can be a good mechanics test for the riggers. While riggers should be able to create their own calisthenics test, it wouldn't hurt to give them one. It could also add a bit of standardization and professionalism to the test. In much the same way that shader artists sometimes display their shaders on the same model, if all the riggers are required to display the same animation on their rig, it could highlight what they accomplished. The riggers won't have to use the same bones to transfer the animation to their rig.

In any case, this sounds exciting!

The reason why i think is uselless is because hardly a rigger will stick with those joint at the end . or even if he does it will be a great limitation.
And seriously i dont think we need same exact aniation to lifta an arm and so on . But just my opinion

twidup
02-15-2012, 03:23 PM
tough.

it wil be an FBX with set joints/model/anim it will be a deformation challenge, so you have to come up with a rigging solution to deal with how to solve out the deformation as elegantly as possible :D

any position changes will disqualify your rig, and not using the bones/anim will disqualify it as well.

Yes, this is a real world scenario too

will get something ready shortly. and honestly, anyone complaining about this, well you dont have to participate.

twidup
02-15-2012, 03:46 PM
so the scenario...

initial rig has been done and finalled and APPROVED, so no more changes, PERIOD.

animation has been approved, but the supervisor wants some deformation improvements for this one shot. so its not up to YOU to improve the deformations and make it look nice...via deformers, new joints, whatever you want OUTSIDE OF THE FOLLOWING

you can not alter animation
you can not change or modify existing rig.

YOU CAN
add joints
change weighting
add deformers

codekim3d
02-16-2012, 08:59 PM
Hmm, interesting. I have not exactly modified an existing baked animation. This will be a challenge for me but I look forward to working on this!

tontonsuspect
02-17-2012, 09:49 AM
Can we play with custom deformer or tools ?

James-Arlyle
02-17-2012, 06:55 PM
Sounds like fun. I'll gladly participate. Thanks for agreeing to set this up twidup. :)

twidup
02-20-2012, 11:12 AM
it use to be that I wouldnt allow custom deformers as the goal was to provide an example that everyone can learn from. BUT, now, yeah, custom plugins/tools/deformers are ok, AS LONG AS you can explain EXACTLY what it is doing.

gonna get the model cut up as soon as I can and skinned and weighted and animated :D should be up by this weekend

MTuttle
02-29-2012, 10:31 PM
Can I join in as well, or is it too late now?

sabarishwar
03-14-2012, 04:00 AM
Can i join ? i'm interesting to do :)

jburford
03-18-2012, 08:52 PM
am using Lightwave and Messiah Pro.

pooby
03-28-2012, 08:31 AM
The progress on this makes Glaciers look like Usain Bolt

giordi
03-28-2012, 09:03 AM
The progress on this makes Glaciers look like Usain Bolt

I have been following this section for years . before then this one there was one about mecha rig and actually couple of models popped out but with no rules and such, the challenge never started

pooby
08-10-2012, 08:55 PM
Opens an eye. Yawns. turns over. shuts eye. Snores

CGTalk Moderation
08-10-2012, 08:55 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.