PDA

View Full Version : Luna Critter, Jonas (3D)

Jonas
11-11-2003, 02:13 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/2226/Critter_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/2226/Critter.jpg)

Hello,

This image is a bit different than what I usually do but it's been such a long time since I post something it will have to do.
The design is a lot simpler and more cartony. It's for a personal project of mine and the design will probably change slightly in the future...

I've used Zbrush to model some of the smaller details on the skin, however you can hardly see it unless you are really close.
Other than that it's the same procedure as for all my newer models: a very clean lowpoly mesh that gets displaced at rendertime. So much easier to setup and animate!

Hope you like it!

http://www.subdivme.com/Images/Luna.jpg

Jonas Thornqvist
www.subdivme.com (http://www.subdivme.com)

ChrisArt
11-11-2003, 02:23 PM
I like it, I dont have any comments so far... il take some more eyes on later but I like it. Very professional work ;)

Terro
11-11-2003, 02:45 PM
Very cool stuff :) Reminds me of Hon Solo. Nothing to crit on, I like the fabric texturing the most , look very crisp IMO. Well done.

feyshtey
11-11-2003, 02:49 PM
Great work! Very nice modeling and lighting.

First thing I thought of when I looked at it was, looks like Han Solo is having some kind of nasty alergy reaction.

Ti-Ki
11-11-2003, 02:50 PM
a mix between Ian solo, a bulldog and shrek ! :D

No crits... nice character.

Could you post some wires of the lowpoly version ? :drool:

iayestaran
11-11-2003, 05:36 PM
great character!!!!!!!:applause: the only things I find to critique are his eyes, and on the uzi, the handle is faceted and not smooth; plus is capped and a bit too shiny. his belt could also use a bit more detail as well loopholes on the pants to keep the belt up. NICE WORK!

JHarford
11-11-2003, 05:43 PM
hehe, i dont noramlly reply to character posts, but this is great, a lot of life in the character, well moddeled and rendered : )

blindsleeper
11-11-2003, 08:43 PM
just curious as to whether we could see wires, (im kinda interested in how the topology looks) :) great job!:applause:

JFFORTIN
11-12-2003, 01:28 AM
Really nice character Jonas .......the design is really awesom
l have to say u have a nice style man keep it up
hoo yeah texture kick ass to :)

kinan
11-12-2003, 01:56 AM
Hey ! I like that !

Roman
11-12-2003, 09:20 AM
Really nice. top work! Is he for the same project as your young alien guy? How do you get such crisp and sharp renders?(any magic tip?) Keep it going, could you show a profile or other pose, maybe even with the other character?

GFX-Arts
11-12-2003, 09:36 AM
really nice work :)

RampanT
11-12-2003, 03:42 PM
Really excellent model. Love the concept and the quality. I'd love to see the original low-poly mesh that you talked about. If you could post it that'd be great. Good work.

Sas.hun
11-12-2003, 04:14 PM
hehe... nice work:thumbsup:
coool charcter. Grat!

Salaadin
11-12-2003, 05:22 PM
the textures are neat..and the modeling too..
:thumbsup:

Jonas
11-12-2003, 06:16 PM
Hello
Here's a bigger image for you all:
Big (http://www.subdivme.com/Images/big.jpg)

Wires tomorrow!

Adam
11-12-2003, 07:07 PM
In my opinion this is one of your best works... I love the clean smooth look he has... just enough detail. Also his cloting is just perfect... I makes him look modern and stylish giving an otherwise simple character (relative) some real personality. Clothes make the man. I would love some closer shots of the head with his eyes open as well as a wire. thanks for the large image

edit: I just noticed that all though I like the simplicity and retro appeal of the space gun I think the handel could use some work... It is just to sharp and blocky for just and bubble gun

Jonas
11-27-2003, 04:20 PM
Hello everyone,

Thanks for all the critique!
Here's some of my progress:

http://www.subdivme.com/Images/Critter.jpg

And the main character:

http://www.subdivme.com/Images/Luna.jpg

/Jonas Thornqvist

wgreenlee1
11-27-2003, 04:23 PM
wow,impressive

beliveable characters indeed:thumbsup:

Bimo
11-27-2003, 08:30 PM
Nice characters, i love it. what 3d software did u use to make that? can you post the wire? those two characters has their own attitude. nice job:thumbsup:

3D-ima Green
11-27-2003, 08:42 PM
woah! great work there, nice mixing realistic and cartoon characters.. :)

AJ
11-27-2003, 08:56 PM
Simply fantastic... You truely are painfully talented!

If I had one crit (which I really don't, it's more of a personal taste thing), I would say that the girls eyes seem a little flat/vacant?

But ignore me - they're both superb!

:D

lulaassassina
11-27-2003, 09:02 PM
You depress people.

Nice job!
:beer:

leigh
11-27-2003, 09:17 PM
Hehehe excellent character! Really nice texturing and lighting - and great modelling too of course, and I assume you got the ear idea from Shrek? :D
His clothing almost reminds me of Han Solo, and he seems to have a similar gung-ho attitude, really cool work!

If I had to give one crit, it would be that the gun he is holding looks a little like it is made out of ice or glass, when I think it should be made from metal?

Cool work nonetheless, front page for you :)

halo
11-27-2003, 09:24 PM
nice...like the girl character...agree about the eyes, and im personally not to keen on the reflective trousers.

love the pigs hands :D

Troy
11-27-2003, 09:33 PM
Amazing detail, the arms and fingers look great + I love the shoes. Your characters seem to have life, aswell as look really good...

What software do you use? and renderer etc...

Morganism
11-27-2003, 09:37 PM
They look great, is there any chance we could see this very clean lowpoly mesh and possibly your displacement maps?

Ac0rN
11-27-2003, 10:07 PM
Awesome

paconavarro
11-27-2003, 10:12 PM
You got very fine work here, in opinion the gun of the first one is too reflective, and in the girl the eyes look like they are just a bitmap on a sphere.

Besides of that you have a wonderfull texturing in both models :)

nibo
11-27-2003, 11:03 PM
AWESOME!

Only the eyes of the girl look a lil strange

Equinoxx
11-27-2003, 11:32 PM
I usually don't comment on gallery stuff, but I just HAD to make an exception in this case, it is looking totally awesome,
the big guy has a reel lifelike feeling to him. the girl looks totally great to apart from the eyes that look indeed as mention a little off. I think they look rather Doll-like, you know, them glass eyes that porcelain dolls have . . .

and as others have pointed out, the raygun [assuming that is what it is] looks indeed rather bizarre as in that it is IMO way to reflective. it almost feels as if it is covered with mirrors.

Totally diggin the vibes you got going on tho.

Cheers.
Qui

Tarscher
11-27-2003, 11:36 PM
Pixar quality if you ask me.:buttrock:

Garma
11-27-2003, 11:58 PM
kicking ass dude.. I especially like the semi-cartoony style of the girl. All crits have been mention, me rests nothing than to say:

keep it up!

eLm0
11-28-2003, 12:16 AM
great work
1 thing tho the uzi texture where the hand is reflected in the texture it might just be but it feels like the hand i much more further away form the top of the gun as seen through the texture on the lighter side you should be happy that thats only thing i could find:eek: great stuff:thumbsup:

raden
11-28-2003, 12:31 AM
!SUEDE SHOES!
hushpuppies
nothing cant beat 'em.

lots of soul the guy. fully rigged? when will we see some anims?

would be much apreciated if you could post the low poly to hires process, you know low wires & shots of normal/dispmaps and notes and all.

:beer:

Blackhorse
11-28-2003, 01:39 AM
so kind the characters are.:thumbsup:

HenningK
11-28-2003, 02:20 AM
Sweetness. gReat appeal and technically astounding. I dont mean to be pushy, but in this case i really want to see it. You said it was a very simple poly model that was displaced at render time. A wireframe pic, therefore, would be really interesting to me.
um... please?:D
love,hen

phoenix
11-28-2003, 04:42 AM
very stylish and impresive

skyeywei
11-28-2003, 05:34 AM
good job ! I like it :)

GhostMouse
11-28-2003, 07:29 AM
The cloth is outstanding. Well done.

Tåke
11-28-2003, 07:57 AM
I'd change the gun that your first character is holding.
Either with an old western colt or simply change the reflectivity of the one you've got.
Idea : You could pose him with his right hand at the hip, just as it is and have the gun in his belt.
For the girl : her eyes are too reflective or deep, dont know.
And she has lost some volume in the arms when posing, but both things look kind of cewl to, so I dont know if you've done it on purpose.
If you tilt her head to the right and upwards you complete the attitude of her facials.
All together these characters are totally lovable.
Awesome work :D

Rivendale
11-28-2003, 08:31 AM
Hey Jonas, hope all is well with you. Very cool characters you've got there. I'm specifically impressed with the little girls pyjamas, it has a very nice feel to it. The guy is awsome too. One thing I would change are his ears, because they make him look to much like Shrek's brother or something.

Ha det!:)

Libor
11-28-2003, 08:35 AM
Hey there, great piece of work, man!!

The one thing which bothers me are the biggest teeth of the "boy" they are a bit off IMHO...

Maybe its just their color but probably even geometricaly doesnt fit well (at first it seems like a cigars).

Anyway great work, really looking forward to seeing your wire/displace setup!

:applause: :thumbsup:

Nuro
11-28-2003, 09:06 AM
I love your Work :thumbsup:

I do like Yours Models, amazing Work:applause:

mattmos
11-28-2003, 09:40 AM
Great characters. One thing which caught my eye was the red line around his mouth, which seems slightly out of place on such a nicely textured character - was it intended? I know that sometimes harsh lines can make lips more readable...

theresa johanss
11-28-2003, 09:47 AM
Wonderful lighting and texturing.

Something I wonder is, what is it that he has between his collorbones? (Det ljusa partiet som går in under tröjan.)

tess

Kel Solaar
11-28-2003, 11:23 AM
Great modelling and texturing, the girl has a wonderfull blend between cartoon and realism!

le_faya
11-28-2003, 11:48 AM
DAMN THAT SO GOOD, especialy the texture and LIGHT.

COULD IT BE POSSIBLE TO MAKE ONE TUTORIAL OF THIS GERAT WORK ????????? PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE :D

:beer: :beer:

DUCKORABB
11-28-2003, 11:49 AM
Really cool! Congratulations!

Regards

DKRBB

Flesser
11-28-2003, 12:18 PM
Yay, that's great. I especially like the first one, it's got so much personality, you just wanna hug him, haha...
I agree with some of the other guys here, a bit too much reflections on the gun, though.
Wires?

Checked out your homepage as well. Amazing stuff.

Skitbra jobbat, fortsätt så!

BinarySoup
11-28-2003, 01:19 PM
as usual , great characterisation and modeling. the pig-like creature is truly a marvel and definately worthy of starring in a pixar production! as for the girl, she looks great apart from the eyes, that to me seem somewhat painted on as a texture rather than actually being modelled, may be just the render though. texturing as usual is top-notch, the pig-creature have something that looks like 'säckväv' (swedish, I guess it's translated as sack-cloth?) and is superb, also on the pyjamas and the shoes you can actually 'feel' the material.

now for some modeling questions, from what I've read from you, you've been using zbrush to create displacement maps for your last models (alien, zombie) including these ones, are you using the upcoming zbrush beta or are you using the current zbrush with some other tools in order to create the displacement maps from a low cage + zbrush high poly? if you have some spare time showing/describing some of the techniques you use when doing this that would be greatly appreciated, though I figure you're a pretty busy guy.

anyway, creating base meshes and then detailing them with displacement mapping as I've seen in your work and the previews of the upcoming zbrush could easily become the norm if what the zbrush previews have shown holds true, since even the smallest details in a mesh has alot of impact on the surrounding geometry, something you can avoid using this method.

always great stuff from you, and seeing you're also a swede it somehow makes for twice the inspiration ;)

hackie
11-28-2003, 01:23 PM
oooo..very nice modeling. it gets quite a charcter^^;;
i have no idea what kinda render you used for your scene.
it looks pretty cool dude~.

ji revolutions¢â

ps. i went to your website and i got super surprised at your
creepy looking model in your wip section. dude...no kidding~

Johra
11-28-2003, 01:35 PM
Saweeeet as usual :) Lovely Characters! Hope everything is doing okey for you down there in england?

Damn you gotta finish that personal project of yours sometime soon, we're getting too curious!

Synes! :)

Wonderer
11-28-2003, 01:46 PM
Great work!:thumbsup:

Raul-Reznek
11-28-2003, 02:04 PM
Exellent Jonas!

Expecially like the alien's fingers.

NelsonInomvan
11-28-2003, 06:17 PM
yeah.. great characters man... Hehhe the first one is so funny.. great job :applause:

dotbomb
11-28-2003, 07:44 PM
That's amazing. I couldn't possibly critique the modeling or texturing!

I have one question. The second lower strap on the characters belt is on his right. Usually that lower strap is for a gunslinger type of holster. But his gun looks pretty comfortable in his left hand. Is that how it's meant to be? Or is the belt thing not a holster. It was hard to tell from this angle.

I would appreciate a wireframe post. I am still learning about modeling and it would be very interesting to see.

Thanks

horoXhoro
11-28-2003, 07:58 PM
very inspiring work....cool~:bounce:

b.Schulz
11-29-2003, 12:46 AM
Funny. Looks like Han Solo morphed into a piggy which resembles Shrek. Good looking model!!! Cheers :beer:

I agree about what others have said about the gun...that's the only thing that doesnt fit too well. It's way too shine'y

Mechis
11-29-2003, 04:34 AM
Wow. The cloth textures are amazing. Would you please describe the process you used in Zbrush to get such fantastic ribbing and fuzzy details in your textures? THANKS!

ceql
11-29-2003, 04:34 AM
Love your characters, awesome work... very pixarish quality about 'em! :applause: :applause:

Mrtcg
11-29-2003, 08:10 AM
very nice

oxhido
11-29-2003, 09:46 AM
great characters!

very funny!!

ivan.oxhido

Jonas
11-30-2003, 12:14 PM
Thanks Everyone!

I'm using 3dsmax 5 and Zbrush for modelling and Photoshop for texturing. I'm using Vray for rendering and it's really amazing how fast it is, especially since I’m using a lot of micro poly displacements and sub surface scattering combined with GI...

I can't go into details when it comes to zbrush since it’s still in beta, but I can ask if I can post some images, if I can I will post them sometime next week.

I can however post some wireframes of my base mesh.
They are not very impressive though since I don't put that much detail into my base mesh, only what I need for animation.
I will use cloth simulation for the trousers and the vest so they are just stand in objects for the moment.

The Gun is not finished and it's only a Vray metal material at the moment, so no textures or anything.
The final one will have a diffrent, more retro, style and probably in green plastic or something!

http://www.subdivme.com/Images/wire1.jpg
http://www.subdivme.com/Images/wire2.jpg

Thanks,
Jonas Thornqvist

charithmax
11-30-2003, 02:05 PM
great work man! really nice work.:thumbsup:

BinarySoup
11-30-2003, 09:51 PM
thanks for the wireframes, looking really clean and efficient, judging from the render and the basemesh, you've used displacement mapping to add wrinkles to knuckles, around eyes and some veins on the arms. this kind of detailing that is usually the last thing you do on a mesh is exactly what (for me atleast) yields alot of extra geometry, and it is often difficult to keep the extra geometry local to the detailed areas, and instead it often forces you to increase geometry on the surrounding areas aswell.

doing it this way, which if I've understood correctly is to build a basemesh, then import it into zbrush, smooth it a number of times and then detail away using a LOT of polygons, and finally export the difference between the base mesh and the smoothed mesh as a displacement map which can then be applied to the base mesh and yield near exact result when rendering. this is a really exciting workflow, and from what you wrote earlier it seems to deform well.

also, this would create a perfect marriage between a 'normal' modeler and zbrush, since when I tried the zbrush demo I noticed that it was easy to create VERY detailed meshes, but very hard to create 'clean' meshes, due to the fact that you normally edit a 100 polygons rather than one polygon in zbrush (still I may be wrong here, haven't tried it that much).

naturally I would love to see some more screenshots showing some renders of the basemesh and of basemesh + displacement for comparison, but I understand you need permission from the zbrush author to do so, since it's beta and likely hush-hush.

great work either way, you're an inspiration!

Mechis
12-01-2003, 03:43 AM
If you are allowed to, please post pics of your texturing in Z-brush. I need to look into this app :)

gray.z
12-01-2003, 04:22 AM
great work! nice work£¡£¡£¡:applause: :applause: :applause:

bmh_maya
12-01-2003, 07:00 AM
great work!:beer:

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.