PDA

View Full Version : basic paint with painter 7

VUJEN
11-11-2003, 05:09 AM
first of all excuse me for my bad grammer. i never paint before but i do draw often, pencil most of the time. My question is if i want to paint a pic that i drew with a pencil how do i start, like what tool to use and so on(in painter 7). Im on a process of getting a new scanner i will post some pics. aslo is the wacom talbet any good for painter. thanks you.

IF Lunatique(Robert Chang) past by. I admired your work soo much, that is what got me into digital painting. hehehe :thumbsup:

Jinbrown
11-11-2003, 06:24 PM
Hi,

The easiest way to color black and white line work is to scan it into Painter or draw it in Painter on a Layer.

Then, if you scanned the drawing, use Select > All and click inside the selection using the Layer Adjuster tool to lift the drawing to a Layer.

In the Layers list, double click the Layer name and rename the Layer something that makes sense to you, like Linework Layer.

At the top of the Layers palette, above the Layers list, choose Gel from the Composite Method drop down list. This will change the drawing's white background to a transparent background (or make it appear transparent).

Now you can paint either on the blank Canvas or on new Layers below the Linework Layer.

In the Layers palette menu, choose New Layer. Highlight the New Layer in the Layers list and drag it down the list below the LineWork Layer.

This willl allow you to paint on the Canvas or other Layers while keeping your LineWork Layer intact without disturbing the black lines.

As an extra precaution, in versions earlier than Painter 8 click the Linework Layer's Lock icon to keep it from being accidentally moved or painted. (In Painter 8, highlight the LineWork Layer in the layers list and click the Lock icon above the Layers list.)

As to what brush variants to use, the best way to decide is to open a large white Canvas and begin testing all of the brush variants in each brush category to learn how they work.

Keep a note pad and pencil nearby and take notes when you find something you like so you'll be able to find it again.

You'll soon learn which brush variants are "basic" and which are too complex for what you want to do.

Take the time to experiment and test all of the brush variants. It will help you a lot in the long run and it's well worth the time spent.

Happy Exploring! :)

Lunatique
11-12-2003, 01:10 AM
VUJEN- Thanks for the kind words. :)

The way I do it in Painter(or Photoshop) is to just draw on a layer and then turned it into a multiply layer. Then I paint whatever underneath in another layer(or straight onto the background/canvas layer). Depending on the style of the piece, I might keep the line drawing, or slowly erase/fade it away as I paint further along. The piece I'm working on right now has line art, and I'm inking it with the Fine Point tool in the Pen category.

And oh yes, Wacom tablet rocks hard. Can't live without it. I'd rather draw on that than on paper these days--simply because it's very fast to correct my drawing digitally than to use an eraser, and then have to blow/brush the eraser crumbs off my desk. . ..
Also, being able to flip the drawing horizontally is very very important to me. I probably flip the canvas more times than I can remember during the whole process(until the piece is finished).

VUJEN
11-12-2003, 01:58 AM
Jinny - thanks you soo much, it does help me alot since this is my second day working with painter lol:D

Lunatique- thanks you, have you finish the princess painting in 3d yet? cant wait for till your short film is done. Wish that i can help but my skill is not up there yet sorry.

ok here is the thing, i dont know anything about painting never done one. But i do know how to draw and shade with a pencil. My question is were can i find some basic or step by step tutorail on how to paint. I just now decided that i like digital painting lol.:buttrock:

tell me what you guys think about my work soo far thanks

Xaint
11-21-2003, 05:44 PM
Here's a well-designe tutorial for digital coloring comics in Photoshop 7: http://www.pensnpixels.com/tutorials/flatting.htm

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.