PDA

View Full Version : Degree or quality of work?

Rorrick
11-18-2011, 02:33 PM
I 'm currently in the process of getting a bachelor's of fine arts, but I also use a lot of digital media and would like to become a concept artist for the game or movie industry, painting landscapes, characters, ships, vehicles, etc. I've understand for a while that in the industry it's more about how well you paint, model or whatever, the quality of your work that decides whether you get the job, that you can get the work you want with no degree at all. Some say that companies do not even check if you have one or not. Just curious is this true? or does this only apply to a lucky few?

infinitekills
11-21-2011, 12:46 PM
Well for me I am getting ready to go to Dave School in Orlando, Florida. So I am moving up there. After talking with them they stated that you really don't need a degree. I will be getting a certificate going to that school. The school is a year long. Dave is an Artist and A director. So after I graduate they will help land me a job. I think having a Degree is a plus but anyone can get a degree and not know what they hell they are doing "not that you do not" I say quality over quantity. Hope this helped out a little.

cgs-john
11-21-2011, 09:39 PM
Marcos brings up a issue that is sometimes overlooked; while I will agree that portfolio is extremely important, your chances of landing that first employment opportunity should be enhanced by some form of networking that your school has established, whether that be through contacts your professors have or through services like alumni networking or internship programs that your campus may have with various companies. Your portfolio may be really good, but combining what you know with who you know is something you should take advantage of while you are still in school and just may be what gets you in the door as opposed to those hundreds of others who also have a really good portfolio.

leigh
11-21-2011, 10:22 PM
It's not necessary but that doesn't mean a degree isn't worth doing.

Please do a search, this has been discussed hundreds of times.

CGTalk Moderation
11-21-2011, 10:22 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.