PDA

View Full Version : Character: Portrait: Teemor

maxmare
11-11-2003, 03:33 AM
Hi all,
Three months ago I started learning Maya and to that purpose I started three different scenes. This was the last scene.

http://www.maxmare.com/max_files/big_files/teemor.jpg

http://www.maxmare.com/max_files/big_files/teemor02.jpg

Hope you like it.

leigh
11-11-2003, 06:33 PM
You know, I saw these three threads you posted this morning just before I went to bed, and was too tired to reply, and I'm quite shocked to come here this evening and find that nobody has replied at all! (By the way, I really liked the cellar image you posted - that skull was awesome... I must look for it once I finish replying here)...

This is actually a really good piece of work - nice lighting, a nice model (although he does look somewhat uncomfortable - perhaps his jaw is a little too far forward and tight), and some nicely done textures too :)

I do think that the skin looks very dry though. Perhaps increasing the specularity/reflection of the skin would help to give it some oiliness in the right places, especially the tip of the nose, forehead and the chin. Also, the areas under peoples eyes tend to be shinier, since the skin there is slightly different, and his lips could do with a dash of moisture. Improving these aspects will also help to soften his skin, since it is looking quite hard and almost stonelike at the moment.

Your bump map looks a teeny bit rough. This roughness might look better once the specularity and reflection issues are solved, but it might also help to make a more hi res bump map, because his skin is looking ever so slightly sand-paperish. You should also add a little more fine detail around the eyes, such as crows feet, in your bump map. Also be sure to enlarge the pores slightly at the tip of the nose ;)

The ears look like they are glowing. Perhaps you have tried to simulate sub-surface scattering? Particularly in the first render, his ear seems to have light within it which doesn't make sense.

Colour wise you've done a decent job, although you might want to introduce some slightly more fleshy tones like reds and pinks. At the moment, his skin overall is looking a little orange. Simply play with some adjustment layers in Photoshop (if this is what you created the textures in), and experiment.
That's usually the safest way :)

So overall this is looking good, but a small tweak here and there will make it look great ;)

maxmare
11-12-2003, 08:15 AM
Hi, thxs for the reply. I have noticed I really need some fresh eyes after I finish anything, and yours are expert as well as pretty.

The head needs more work on the spec/reflections, more tone variation, more detail on some areas for the bump...and more.

I take notice of the comments and I will pick them up as I will use this three scenes to prepare a demo reel on modelling/texturing from now to the end of the year. So update to follow soon.

http://www.maxmare.com/posts/teemor_diff.jpg

http://www.maxmare.com/posts/teemor_bump.jpg

Cheers.

mayanut
11-12-2003, 01:34 PM
very nice job! i really like your lighting. the hair is really nice and natural too. looks like this guy really knows how to use product! the only thing that bugged me that leigh didn't mention is the eyelashes. they are a bit pixelish (is that a word?) :) they stick out from the rest of the image.
great image!

TheRow
11-12-2003, 02:32 PM
Damn exept for the eye/hair color thats a spiting image of my co worker :surprised scary....

RampanT
11-12-2003, 02:38 PM
Really nice work. The only thing i aint so keen on is the hairline. To me, it looks a bit like a wig. I love the hair at the top of the head, looks excellent. But the area of the hairline between the eye and the ear, to me, wouldnt look like that with such short hair.

Just a very small criticism though. The rest is great.

IanBrightNZ
11-13-2003, 02:19 AM
This is great work. .:thumbsup: Upper lip looks a bit too convex in profile though. Maybe try making it concave, see how that looks. Hair is a bit wiggish, as mentioned, and maybe lowering his browline a bit will reduce the look of surprise on his face.

And yeah, your right, Leigh does have some pretty eyes on her. Kinda have to squint to see them though.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.