PDA

View Full Version : Still: The cellar

maxmare
11-11-2003, 03:32 AM
Hi all,
Three months ago I started learning Maya and to that purpose I started three different scenes. This was the second one.

http://www.maxmare.com/max_files/big_files/skull.jpg

Hope you like it.

triad
11-11-2003, 03:42 AM
Modeling and texturing on the skull are superb. The candle seems a bit out of place, perhaps it is the color. Overall very nice.

Thekkur
11-11-2003, 08:59 AM
only three months in maya and you can already prduce such a work?!! I suppose you do have a background in other 3d apps?Nonetheless it looks very good!

veto
11-11-2003, 09:45 AM
the skull rocks, but your wax material looks a little bit strange (it's jaggy) and so does the flame.

Chappo
11-11-2003, 10:05 AM
i like it, nice lighting :)
The candle needs some work though.

Any chance to show us a wireframe ?

gf666
11-11-2003, 10:39 AM
ghe ghe i like it a lot!! but does one candle give that much light???

Miau
11-11-2003, 11:30 AM
i like it! maybe a bit darker, and more AA..
did you use Sub Surface Scattering for the wax ?
greetings

maxmare
11-11-2003, 12:36 PM
Hey, thnxs for the C&C.

I started using max to create personal images in January, so really all you have to do is find where the things you are use to are in Maya.

I didn't have a reference for the candle and I did it in one go, so I'll have to come back later with a real one a work out some detail/material.

I agree that a single candle doesn't light that much but this was an exercise in modeling/texturing foremost so I want to show as much as I can. Good point though.

I haven't had time to play around with MR so I used the depth-channel to compose it on top of the diffuse channel as color difference. I sort of like it.

Here are some wip:

http://www.maxmare.com/posts\skull_progress.gif

I really appreciate the comments. Cheers

rrobert
11-11-2003, 01:18 PM
HE, nice way of showing how you made it by using an animated GIf! An advise for other thread startes!? :applause:

leigh
11-11-2003, 06:42 PM
Yeah, damn that skull looks great! Very nice modelling and texturing there :)
The sword looks nice too, but somehow seems seperate from the rest of the scene, almost like it has different lighting. Then again, perhaps it's merely the contrast between the warm and cool colours that makes it seem a little strange.
The bottles in the background have a really interesting, very painterly look to them - nice stuff.

I agree about the candle looking odd. It just doesn't look like wax. Nice modelling on that though - the dripping wax is cool. You need to work with more translucency and a bit of soft reflection, I think that will improve it. And yeah, I know you wanted to show off the modelling and texturing, but making the light source smaller and more localised (ie simulating the candle light more realistically) would give a lot of drama and would certainly improve the realism of this scene :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.