PDA

View Full Version : Script suggestions

Rivendale
11-11-2003, 01:55 AM
I have some ideas for some scripts that I'd like to have but I'm not good enough with MAXscript yet to do it myself so I thought I'd throw it out here and see what you think.

Firstly I'd like a script that controls the viewport navigation. It would work like navigating in a game(no-clip mode). The keys W,S,A,D would be like forward(zoom),back(zoom back),left(pan left),right(pan right) and the scrollbutton of the mouse would work like rotate viewport(around sub-object selection preferrably) when pressed. Maybe also when you hold the scrollbutton and right-click you would go upwards.
Some sort of override/replacement of the default keyboard-shortcuts would be needed I guess.
This would save a lot of clicking just to navigate the scene/model and after trying this style of navigating in our in-house leveleditor I feel this would be a real workflow enhancer that many user would like.
---------------

The second script I've been thinking about is a script that uses the arrow keys to move a selection in certain amounts of units. Left and Right arrows would move it on the x axis and Up and Down arrow would move the selection on the y axis. Ctrl+Up and Down might be used to move it on the z axis. There could be a dialog where you can set the amounts of units the selection should move and maybe if holding Shift or Alt there could be another amount specified, like 1 unit normal and 5 units when holding Shift.
This script would be very helpful when doing parametric models or building game-levels for example. Architectual work would benefit greatly from it also.
---------------

So what do you think? Anybody up for the challenge? I'd like to hear your views on this and if/how you think they can be done.
:)

EricChadwick
11-12-2003, 04:22 PM
For the first, maybe GameTools
http://www.scriptspot.com/Main_Scripts.asp?BrowseType=Search&Sort=Name&ST=1&SearchField=fps

or FPSmove
http://tdp.nu/cgi-bin/plugsearch_r4.pl?search=fps

Sounds like ParaMove covers the other idea.

Traker
11-14-2003, 12:44 AM
Guess who came up with the FPSMove ideea?;)..check txt.:)

Anyway there are still problems with FPSMove:

1.You can`t move preessing 2 keys at the same time...like UP+LEFT
2.The view is shakky when you look around with the mouse and move left,right
3.Also the mouse position changes because i think is somehow framerate dependant..

Here is an ideea...what i wonder if there is a way to control with the mouse the target dummy of a camera is the "SCREEN coordinates" so the camera has a look at controller so you can look around and move in the direction you want with the target dummy ...while looking through the camera.

EricChadwick
11-14-2003, 01:03 PM
That's interesting, the credits.

Maybe the Motion Capture util could be one way to control it?

Just guessing here...

Regardless of the method though I think the problem is going to be controlling both camera rotation and position at the same time in realtime.

I would love a solution to this too, inside max instead of exporting to something like rtre or whatever.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.