PDA

View Full Version : skinPercent with transformValue

Anubis
11-11-2011, 10:49 PM
# Warning: Some weights could not be set to the specified value. The weight total would have exceeded 1.0. #

I get this when adding some skin weights, but I have normalize on. I see that if you set transformValue, it doesn't normalize? Or so it looks, does that mean that you should normalize the values yourself before setting them?

What's the most efficient way to take a whole bunch of weights from an acsii file and add them to a mesh with autonormalization?

CE

WesHowe
11-12-2011, 01:53 AM
I have banged my head on that wall a number of times, until I got tired of painting it with my blood, sweat and tears. As best I have been able to determine, it is a bug, and there is no way to add skin weights without getting that message... I have tried scaling them all down by 0.9995, I have gone through and (using double precision math) balanced the weighting to 1.0, and yet that message appears anyway.

Similar code I wrote for Maya 2009 did not complain, but 2011 and 2012 both spit out that message. It slows the importation process down, and I have not been able to identify a clean way to do this except by one call per-vertex (and thus one warning per-vertex).

However, the final results appear to be the same. If there is any difference in the actual skin weights once the mesh is loaded in Maya, it is a very minute difference.

<* Wes *>

BoostAbuse
11-13-2011, 05:35 PM
Chris, are you setting the normalization flag to on in the skinPercent call? `skinPercent -nrm 1` is the flag and it will normalize all values outside the current one being set (if you set inf1 then 2,3,4 will be normalized). I'm also guessing that Normalization mode is set to Interactive and not Post?

CGTalk Moderation
11-13-2011, 05:35 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.