PDA

View Full Version : RGB and CMYK.....

Stychentyme
11-10-2003, 07:53 PM
I am currently using Photoshop 7 with Illustrator 10. I have a question I'm hoping someone here can answer regarding RGB and CMYK colour values in Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator.

I have a colour that uses an RGB value of 115 125 119. When I'm looking in the colour picker in Illustrator, it says the the eqivalent CMYK value is 48 30 34 13. However, when I'm using the same colour with the same RGB values in Photoshop, the colour picker gives CMYK values of 57 41 49 10!

I was wondering why the difference? If I have a colour I've created in Illustrator, shouldn't the values be the same when I'm importing it into Photoshop? Not just the RGB's, but the CMYK's as well? Or, is the colour picker in Photoshop different than the one in Ilustrator?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

halo
11-10-2003, 08:06 PM
This is an indepth area, im no expert, but im no novice, so this may help.

the problems are down to colour space, each colour mode works in its own space. The apps may not have the same spaces anf profiles setup. First check that your rgb modes (adobe1998, srgb etc) are the same in each app and that you are converting to the same cymk with the same profile and seperation setup in each app. That should solve it.

If that doesnt help, or you need more information then take a wander over to adobe's forums where you will find no end of advice on colours and profiles, and it will be spot on.

Ghostscape
11-10-2003, 08:21 PM
Halo's right. There are different ways to convert rgb to cmyk, and there are different color spaces used for rgb and cmyk color spaces. Make sure you're working in a universal setup instead of having each program configured differently.

Stychentyme
11-12-2003, 05:23 PM
Thanks guys,.... I appreciate your suggestions.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.