PDA

View Full Version : New modeling contest topics?

Wegg
11-10-2003, 06:38 PM
I'm trying to get hold of some pro-artist friends of mine to judge the dwarf modeling contest but I'd like to get started on the next one.

Can we start talking about what we would like to see as a topic?

modernhorse
11-10-2003, 07:23 PM
Yeah, exported models.

It would be cool to see a 'mechanical' theme. Have seen mechanical stuff done here and there with A:M that was really smashing. I'm thinking of Anzovin's recent postings on the Hash forum.

RichSuchy
11-10-2003, 07:27 PM
How about Dwarf Women? do they really have beards... ...or just mustachios?

I guy I worked took a staged photo of a midget woman friend of his. I was amazed at how well perportioned she was. He put her in a rendered city as a giant. Very beautiful imagery!

Im not sure what the politically corrent terms are and appologize if anyone is offended by the term midget. :)

JTalbotski
11-10-2003, 07:55 PM
I was under the impression that the next contest would be an animation contest using the winning model from the model contest.

Are we going to run 2 contests at the same time? One an animation contest and one a modeling contest? Nothing wrong with that, but it may become a bit hectic for some people.

I'm personally not wild about doing mechanical modeling, but that doesn't mean anything against mechanical modeling. I really respect the precision of those who can do it well. I just don't enjoy it.

If we were to do another character type model, maybe a caricature or likeness of a celebrity would be interesting to do.

Jim

modernhorse
11-10-2003, 08:05 PM
Or caricature yeah! That would be a blast. For a look at some great ones go over to the LW forum here and look at what PI3141 has been doing with Madonna, Michael Jackson and Bruce Lee.

dagooos
11-10-2003, 11:50 PM
Yep, I'm with Jim I vote for starting the animation contest next. I would like to see the winning character get animated :)

itsjustme
11-11-2003, 06:08 AM
My vote is for simultaneous competitions. Not everyone will want to model and not everyone will want to animate, or you could pick which one you wanted to do more this time around.

Would the animation be something akin to the "10 Second Club" type of thing (http://10secondclub.net/)? A limit of 10 seconds would make the files easier to download and host. Participants will have to have their own website to host them since the file limit here is 20k.

For the next modeling contest I like the idea of a caricature, but I also liked some of the ideas not used last time.

hoochoochoochoo
11-11-2003, 07:38 AM
I would like to finish what we started, make sure it works and has its own steam - I too was under the impression we'd offer the winning dwarf up for an animation competition.

Maybeafter we have at least a modelling contest done and judged and an animation contest done and judged we could run two contests at the same time.

I'm not worried about prizes and such - I just want to see we can run and complete competitions. Then we'll attract more people to this forum as there would be an end in sight to stuff. By jumping into another contest without an "endgame" to the last, I'm afraid we're not going to set any good examples. Why would I bother going to the effort again I ask myself.

Not a swipe at anyone, just my personal opinion For What It's Worth..

JTalbotski
11-14-2003, 01:05 PM
Well, another week has gone by. :hmm:

Are we any closer to having the first contest finished? Do we have judges yet? Have they looked at the images? Should we just call it a tie and forget about it?

This really doesn't bode well for any future contests in this forum.

Jim

modernhorse
11-14-2003, 01:35 PM
Well I hope we can get the first one sucessfully concluded as I'm very excited about the A:M challenge thing.

Perhaps we could have our moderator judge them? Or our moderator and another from CGTalk (heck Proton from LW even peeked in here and said he was interested in A:M a while back) so maybe that's a solution? Just brainstorming.

We should have this ironed out before the next challenge starts.

My Fault
11-14-2003, 06:18 PM
WHat about setting up a poll and letting everybody vote?

hoochoochoochoo
11-17-2003, 07:54 AM
How about a nominated person to take over when Wegg is too busy with the commercial stuff?

This could be a different person for every contest. Its such a shame the current contest is ending like this. We are all making suggestions but unable to act as nobody wants to usurp Wegg. However, we have a forum to make work and contests to run.
We need to act soon.

Wycoff3d
11-17-2003, 12:56 PM
Gotta agree. Even if Wegg is busy with stuff a quick post to let the participants know whats going on is a nice idea. Itll take what 2 minutes? Id nominate JTalbotski. He has work that is well respected as much as he is.

JTalbotski
11-17-2003, 01:11 PM
Thanks very much, but I think it should be someone who is not entered in the contest.

My Fault, Obnomauk, would either of you be willing? I believe both of you offered some of the prizes, so it might be the fairest thing to do, for you and us also, if either or both of you set up the judging.

Jim

My Fault
11-17-2003, 03:26 PM
I'll do whatever I can to help, though I think only Wegg can set up the poll. I was also going to harrass...err... I mean ask (LOL) Joe Williamsen if he would vote as well.

Maybe we could snag Balistic and Joe Cosman too.

hoochoochoochoo
11-17-2003, 04:27 PM
there's a poll function whenever anyone wishes to set up a new thread. I'm not sure if you can double vote though.

I set one up long ago over whether vs 10 was worth upgrading to some time back. An alternative is to have a thread with a deadline (started by MyFault or Obnomauk) and people wishing to vote reply to the thread and state their choice.

Not very secret but it ensures no double voting!:bounce:

Last resort is to contact Tito or Leonard. They run CGTalk, if they can't set up a secure voting or poll system, no one can.

Maybe we could snag Balistic and Joe Cosman too. they work with Wegg, if he's snowed under with business, so will they!

My Fault
11-17-2003, 04:42 PM
Hey, your right, anybody can do a poll. I'm a bit hesitant as I don't want to step on Wegg's toes. Nothin worse then an angry Aussie! :p

That probably is the best idea though. That way no one can vote more then once and people will have to spread out there birbes a bit more :scream:

JTalbotski
11-17-2003, 04:51 PM
I'll email Wegg again and let him know what we are trying to do. I'll ask if he would mind if we got the voting done ourselves or would he rather run the contest voting. (In which case he should actually contact this forum periodically to let us know what is happening.)

Jim

hoochoochoochoo
11-17-2003, 04:51 PM
didn't know Wegg was an Aussie?
I don't want to step on Wegg's toes. Nothin worse then an angry Aussie! we better do this before England thrash the Aussies at rugby then...

Ah well, how about someone with his email contact him and let him know. If we hear nothing by oh, say wednesday Sydney time, someone set up a voting thread and we finish close it Friday.

Nice and snappy. The we move on to an Animation contest. I ain't no animator so would be happy to do the closing ceremony stuff.

No Fair! Jim got my words out before I could!

My Fault
11-17-2003, 05:00 PM
Didn't mean to say Wegg lives in Australia (he's in Utah), but it seems like I heard the telltale accent in one of his videos. He could also just be eccentric and likes to use a strange accent. If it's good enough for Madonna, it's good enough for Weggy! :p

Obnomauk
11-17-2003, 05:11 PM
I tell you what. Since I'm not a participant and am one of the "sponsors" I'm going to take a little initiative

I'm sending an email out to wegg, in the meantime everybody who would like to express their opinion on who should win and why send me a private message.

If I haven't heard from wegg in the next 7 days or if he has no objections, I will get together with the other sponsor (My Fault) we can go over the votes that I get sent kick in our own 2 and post a message in a thread with the Standings and some of the comments.... that way we can both give wegg a little more time and move towards the completion of this contest.

Does that sound ok to everyone involved? My Fault, are you willing to email a couple times back and forth sometime next week?

-David Rogers

My Fault
11-17-2003, 05:14 PM
Aye, that's a great idea David and I'm up for whatever is needed!

JTalbotski
11-17-2003, 05:17 PM
I did send an email to Wegg and asked that he contact this forum.

If Wegg hasn't done anything yet, who do we plan on doing the voting. There aren't a whole lot of visitors to the forum lately. Maybe just the contest entrants waiting to see if anything is happening. Do we announce it on the Hash forum?

Jim

hoochoochoochoo
11-17-2003, 05:23 PM
Do we announce it on the Hash forum?
Not sure they can vote or send private messages unless they join CGTalk.

I always did wonder who was going to judge and how they'd be selected. Better to have one and all on this forum at the very least.

My Fault
11-17-2003, 05:33 PM
I would think if we post in the main Hash forum, that would be good. We could also think of posting in one of the other larger CGTalk forums as well. That would get people to check out AM and there would be more impartial observers.

Drakkheim
11-17-2003, 09:12 PM
I don't know about the other entrants but Personally I'm just biding my time here, if David wants to invest some of his personal time out of the goodness of his heart to talley votes I'm all for it, or any other way that you guys decide to do this. I'd just like to get this part over with ;) So I can have some closure :scream:

-Drakk

Wegg
11-21-2003, 03:54 PM
Hey I'm really sorry for flaking out on you guys. Life kind of gave me a broad side. . .

I'll get the other entries judged asap.

I really think we should stick to modeling for now on the contest. . . was there a topic decided?

JTalbotski
11-21-2003, 03:58 PM
Wegg,

Glad to see you're still among the living.;)

No decision on the next contest as far as I know. Some want to animate, I know that much. I probably won't be part of that contest, but if there was another modeling contest, I would probably participate.

Can't we do both?

Jim

Zaryin
11-21-2003, 07:43 PM
I agree with Jim in saying that I will probably not do the animation contest, but we did say when this was started that there would be an animation contest...

Wegg
11-21-2003, 08:33 PM
don't know if there are enough people for both.

Why don't we do something more. . . achedemic.

Like modeling your favirate insect.

JTalbotski
11-21-2003, 09:09 PM
Or your favorite meal!

I'll start with shrimp cocktail, side salad with raspberry vinegrette dressing, glass of merlot, filet mignon with a baked potato, coffee and cheesecake, and a nice cigar on the terrace.

Sorry, my stomache is thinking for me.

Jim

Zaryin
11-22-2003, 04:38 AM
How about:

1: Modelling your favorite mythical character.

2: Modeling a city, or land, scape

3: A Deep Water Creature

4: An Alien

That's all I got for now.

Shazam3D
11-22-2003, 09:45 AM
How about:

1.- A futuristic or fantastic car

2.- A biomechanical dragon

3.- Innovative musical instrument

JM

dagooos
11-22-2003, 01:00 PM
I don't know why we wouldnt just stick with the plan. I know people have put alot of work into these models and I think it would be cool to see the winning model animated. :hmm:

thekamps
11-22-2003, 01:44 PM
I understand ...
"The whole idea of this contest is to strengthen the community..."

Well things don't always go as planned. Glad to hear there is nothing seriously wrong at Wegg's end. We just never know. Glad your with the living too! Unfortunately I think it was a bit disappointing and destructive. Not that your not dead ;) but that there were/are problems getting this finalized.

That said, it is true, we might not have enough people for both so it would make sense to do which ever one would bring in the most amount of people/interest. These things tend to grow or die out and it is in desperate need of a kick start!

I have been waiting for the animation portion and that's got my vote. I don't think I am going out on a limb here saying that JTalbotski's work is at a bit higher caliber than the rest of us mere mortals (not saying there shouldn't be a formal vote - you never know) Now if he wins and is willing to donate the model, I think that alone would bring in a lot of people. Who wouldn't want the opportunity. But let's decide, start it right, and quickly!

Zaryin
11-22-2003, 04:47 PM
If the animation contest is done, we could always post on the official boards right away that it is going on. I know there are alot of people who would love a chance to animate the winning dwarf.

I'll just wait for the next modeling contest though since I can barely animate a half-way descent walk cycle.

cosmonaut
11-22-2003, 05:28 PM
Inspired by those matrix models on the front page how about "famous caricatures" for the modeling contest.

JTalbotski
11-22-2003, 07:13 PM
I really like the idea of a caricature. I prefer modeling characters over anything else, so my hope is for more character modeling contests.

But I recall there were several people who were looking forward to an animating contest who didn't take part in the modeling contest. Some that I know are very talented, Justin Barrett among others. It would be cool to see what they come up with.

Jim

Drakkheim
11-23-2003, 04:08 AM
Anyone for a contest making themed sets in which to hold the animation contest?

Rooms in a haunted house
holes that are homes for dwarves
mythical settings
or something....

have the set be fully lit and animated...

Or maybe I've just been playing too much Uru lately, but I'm dying to make somewhere interesting......

=Drakk

Zaryin
11-23-2003, 04:26 AM
Hey Drakkheim, I kinda like that idea. They do need somewhere to animate that winning dwarf.

pequod
11-23-2003, 09:56 AM
I would certainly like to give the animation side of this contest a go.
It would seem a shame that some of these terrific models won't get the opportunity to be brought to life.
As long as it's nothing boring like a walk cycle and no longer than 10 seconds in duration. After all, we are using ANIMATION master!

shaunf
11-23-2003, 07:34 PM
I'd be all for an animation contest also!

hoochoochoochoo
11-24-2003, 09:55 AM
I won't join the animation contest but would love to see that next.
There's some great animators out there could help the other side of this thing really work.

I didn't finish this time but there's something to be said about seeing your work come to life or put onto a shelf in a store for sale or being used for what it was meant to be used for.

JBarrett
11-24-2003, 04:16 PM
Thanks for the kind words, Jim. :thumbsup: You're so right, I've been drooling all over my keyboard as I've watched the modeling entries progressing...partly 'cause they're cool models, but partly because of the potential opportunity to animate such cool models.

For me, a large part of the inspiration and energy that comes from animating a character comes from a cool model. It's just like theatre, where you can act out your scenes in early rehearsals wearing your street clothes and things go all right. But you finally get to the point where you're doing dress rehearsals in full costume, and you get an extra boost of energy. You're finally "in-character" to the fullest possible level. It's quite a rush.

hoochoochoochoo
11-28-2003, 04:25 PM
this is for AFTER the animation stage
I liked doing characters but now want to try something monstrous and horrible..

how about something completely non-cartoony and with realism like monsters or beasts? Could do some LOVELY STUFF with textures and fangs and even particles!

(Oh yeah, any word on voting as this SHOULD really be the end of week four since the end of the modelling contest)

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.