PDA

View Full Version : 2nd attempt with the demo

Mike RB
11-10-2003, 06:32 PM
Ok, I was a bit more succesful this time around:

Please excuse the quality, as I was having problems capturing the frames and set the compression a bit high in an attempt to fix it.

2nd messiah rig (http://www.controlcage.com/Reel/MB/2ndmessiahrig.avi)
Divx 9 megs.... 10 minutes....

The edit sphere is now my biggest headache, I always move bones on x by accident, and I can never tell which way p and h will rotate.

Mike

Julez4001
11-10-2003, 06:46 PM
if you have problems grabbing/accessing the controls - just use yhe hotkeys I find it easier to just hit escape and not bother with for a while until I need to grab the [m] or [r].
hotkeys:

1 - x
2 - y
3- z
4 -h
5- p
6 - b

"*" on the keypad is the clone comamnd, it clone IK & hierarchy too.

fwtep
11-10-2003, 07:03 PM
You can turn off the channels you don't need on the Edit Sphere. Just go to the Motion block and right-click on the key modifier buttons (the colored dots next to the channel names). In the Flex sample scene that's on the Video Demos page I've turned off everything except Pitch for the forearm bone, just to make it easier for people.

lmilton
11-10-2003, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by Mike RB
Ok, I was a bit more succesful this time around:

Please excuse the quality, as I was having problems capturing the frames and set the compression a bit high in an attempt to fix it.

2nd messiah rig (http://www.controlcage.com/Reel/MB/2ndmessiahrig.avi)
Divx 9 megs.... 10 minutes....

The edit sphere is now my biggest headache, I always move bones on x by accident, and I can never tell which way p and h will rotate.

Mike

To clarify, it's not the editsphere. It has to do with an oversight in the bone add: if you drag after clicking, the bone can be moved out of position. If this happens, just hit Undo. We'll address this in a later patch.

Nice vid:thumbsup:

-lyle

Julez4001
11-11-2003, 12:08 AM
oh yeah...mike check out that multiple undo.
U can set int he customize window. Works on everything but effects tools (bone, sbd) but all motion and stuff.

have you use the dope sheet editor - F6

Mike RB
11-11-2003, 12:20 AM
It's just hard to predict which way it will rotate with HBP.... Even a small tapering of the lines would help I think...

see image.

http://www3.telus.net/paratrooper/editsphere.jpg
let it be 1 pixel, but build it up to 4 by the time it gets to the widget representing that axis...

Mike

jipe
11-11-2003, 02:14 AM
As a new messiah user, I agree.. I find the rotations in the editsphere very confusing - maybe it just comes with time? I really like the way MotionBuilder handles this - in world rotation mode, the axes always snap back to default positions after movement, while in local rotation mode, the axes will stick when moved. Also, the solid color (slightly translucent) "fan" showing the direction and amount of rotation is really cool (and useful!).

I made a short video (http://battle4naboo.hypermart.net/mb_rotation.avi) (3.3mb, divx) in MB showing what I mean.. the first part is with world rotation, and after the undos it switches to local rotation.

Miyazaki
11-11-2003, 02:20 AM
I agree too. This handle is confusing and contains too much information. I prefer old school transformation and rotation handles.

Julez4001
11-11-2003, 03:24 AM
armatures will solve this -
you can create onscreen controls and they are sensitive to the mouse

LMB - translation
MMB - scale
RMB - rotation

or mix it up and make new handles

LMB - x
MMB - y
RMB - z
on one icon

on the other for rotation

Lyle - anyway we can make a omni (effects everything like editsphere does) armatures to override (replace) the editsphere by default .

Miyazaki
11-14-2003, 06:39 PM
He thanks, i`ll check it out.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.