PDA

View Full Version : Best Practice for beginer in digital paint

Zombiecharro
11-10-2011, 04:37 AM
Hi im love digital painting but never actually tried hard enough and i want to improve my skills ive watched a lot of tutorials and speedpaints i draw since kid and toke some traditional illustration courses back at collage (graphic designer) there where not much digital at that time and place and less market.
at the beginning i just colored my scaned pencil drawings like this:

http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/5849/coatlk.jpg

then i got a tablet and tried i got this:

http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/9351/fallenu.jpg

i was fairly happy about it despite the obvious anatomy and hair issues

Any way i notice like two trends in digital painting
Those who paint first shades of gray an then colorize the greyscale image
And those who paint directly in the color and value
which u think is best? i find extremely difficult handling color it may be cuz donīt use reference material i don't know, i just end up using the same colors.

Lunatique
11-21-2011, 04:32 AM
There's no right or wrong way to go about it, and depending on the person's habits and preferences, there's also no better or worse. There are pros and cons to each workflow, and you sort of have to fit the workflow to the challenge you have on hand.

If you do monochromatic first and then color a full-valued painting, then you need to have a strong mastery of the critical foundations of visual art--specifically, the intimate relationship between values and colors. So many artists don't know enough about this (this stomps many of my students). If you have not mastered this aspect, don't use the coloring method.

I think it's more important to establish your color palette early on, as early as the thumbnail sketch phase, because every major decisions in your image contributes to the overall composition, including values and colors.

I have a workflow that's very safe and allows maximum flexibility and creativity--that's the one I teach in my workshop (linked below in my signature. The ninth run just started today, but there's still one more week left if anyone wants to squeeze in last minute). In the workshop I demonstrate the workflow in painstaking detail over hours of video demonstrations.

If you can't take the workshop, I can try and describe the workflow, but there are a lot of hands-on tips and tricks that I can't convey with just text.

purplegoat
11-26-2011, 05:56 PM
Zombiecharro,

I'm a total newb when it comes to digital painting but have painted in oils and would like to give my opinion. I think that when it comes to color that the value has to be spot on for a decent result regardless of the color. A color image has color AND values. A monochromatic image only has values. So there is less to think about and render in a monochromatic image as color is not involved. If you are not comfortable with rendering value, I think color should not be focused on until you are.

Digital is its own medium but painting techniques can carry over . Some traditional master painters used a chiaroscuro under painting which was composed of just lights and darks. Then color was painted over this in glazes. Some painters today use this method as well. Sounds similar to the method you described.

I think you should try out various methods for yourself. That is how you find out what works best for you.

Also color is a very complex subject. I think it's best to learn the fundamentals of color theory while focusing heavily on proportions, value, and perspective (and composition if you are painting a scene) . If your proportions are off, especially on a human figure, then no coloring in the world is going to improve the image.

Whirlwind123
11-26-2011, 11:51 PM
For beginning with digital paint I am finding Matt Kohr's recently uploaded videos incredidbly well done (also free). www.ctrlpaint.com

I hope it is helpful. It's pretty unique compared to other digi paint training.

Good Luck

Also all I ever hear is good stuff from Lunatique's course. I haven't done it but from what I read I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

mmoir
11-30-2011, 11:54 PM
Whirlwind123,
The CtrlPaint website is very nice, lots of videos and info . Thank you very much for posting the link.

CGTalk Moderation
11-30-2011, 11:54 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.