PDA

View Full Version : My original image was declined why?

Jelo
11-09-2011, 05:13 AM
I can't fathom why my image was denied to the finished 2D gallery?

I've designed all the characters, and this is my own style I've been developing lately. It's cleanly rendered in an iconic style on purse. And I worked my ass of full days an entire week I feel almost offended by the rejection.

What do you see the problem is???

http://www.joelart.com/forum/Joelart-Portmanteau-1120.jpg

Pyke
11-09-2011, 08:44 AM
I think the pure white background is what is making it look like a WIP image. Perhaps some sort of ground plane and background in the same style would round it off nicely.

Compositionally I think the image is a little to 'centred'. Offsetting it to one side would definitely help.

Here are some ideas:

Jelo
11-09-2011, 09:15 AM
Haha cool paintover. Tnx for your reply.

Hm I'll see if I can make a background. But seriously, I've seen other images with white BG in the finished section. The white BG IS on purpose so it would work in a magazine with text for instance so it's a bit depressing having to add element just to get it accepted, especially when it's so well rendered, it's clearly finished in it's current quality. Almost like the reviewer just looked at it quickly and said, white BG it's a no go and didn't bother to look at it any closer.

But I'll see what I can do.. sigh! ;)

Pyke
11-09-2011, 10:09 AM
The background was really just my first impression. While this may work in a magazine context, the Finished Work gallery has work that has to exist on its own.

Great art is never finished, only abandoned...Im sure the final result will be even more impressive once you've worked it over. :)

clairebear182
11-09-2011, 11:50 AM
I really like the image. However, to me, it looks like two separate sketches on a page which have been rendered. A background would really help to bring the two characters together and make it look like a finished piece of art rather than a sketch page.

I have also seen other images with just a white background in the finished section. The images I have seen like this are usually just one character, like a character or outfit design.

Lovely pic though, I love tigers and anything cat-like haha. It will be even better with a bg! :)

receptor
11-12-2011, 03:40 PM
I really like your image. Period. :beer:

Jelo
11-12-2011, 03:55 PM
Aw thanks for the feedback and praises. I'll see what I can do about a BG, I can use it as an opportunity to practice some more on trees.

BillyWJ
11-14-2011, 07:28 AM
First of all, learn to accept rejection. It's going to be part of your life, if you are to be an artist. You should not be offended, it's going to happen. I've been rejected by some big clients, and often for reasons beyond my control - the work is good, but sometimes, it just doesn't fit the criteria.

Now, granted, this site does not give feedback. I understand that's frustrating, but, honestly, in the bigger scope of things...so? It got rejected. Throw in in your portfolio, and move on.

Now, regarding the piece. i have to ask, what's the narrative? It's seemingly 3 separate narratives thrown together, with nothing linking them. (Like has been suggested, a background). If I were an editor, looking at this as a submission for editorial illustration, I would ask the same thing. The color composition doesn't match up, either, it's a bit jarring.

You have a fun style, there's no denying that, and I have zero issue with it. But, style is not all, you have to look at this as one piece, and when you do, the above issue is glaring.

If you look at the pieces accepted here, the overwhelming majority of them have an internal narrative. I believe you can rework this to qualify here, by adjusting the colors to flow more, and to find something that links it all together. Are they all standing at a bus stop? Then give us more clues, like a sidewalk, or buildings, or a bench, something.

Hope this helps!

RyanNore
11-23-2011, 01:22 AM
I just recently posted a reply to another artist (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=31&t=1020506) that could be applicable to your situation as well... it may be helpful to you.

Jelo
11-23-2011, 02:10 AM
Oh, wow! I must say I'm getting more feed back than I expected.

BillyWJ and RyanNore, thanks for your views and input. I'll try and finish it off with a BG and more details showing a bus stop.

I just started out as an experiment in fusing a John Bauer troll like character with my new shading technique, there were no narrative from the start but then one grew during the making. It's simply an imaginary fantasy world drawing from familiar subjects fusing them together in a twisted way with an experimental style.

Lunatique
11-24-2011, 03:58 AM
BTW, just a quick notice--can you guys start using proper image titles for your threads, instead of the "My image was rejected, why?" or "Need help for improvement" type of titles, as they are not very helpful in distinguishing one thread from another. If you have such a title now, can you please edit it to reflect the actual description or title of the image? Thank you.

Jelo
11-24-2011, 08:18 AM
BTW, just a quick notice--can you guys start using proper image titles for your threads, instead of the "My image was rejected, why?" or "Need help for improvement" type of titles, as they are not very helpful in distinguishing one thread from another. If you have such a title now, can you please edit it to reflect the actual description or title of the image? Thank you.

Hmm, I changed the title in the first post but it doesn't reflect in the actual thread title, I don't know how to do that.

Lunatique
11-24-2011, 11:00 AM
I forgot that probably only a Forum Leader with moderating powers in this sub-forum can change the thread title. I don't have that power in this sub-forum, so I can't do it. You can try contacting the Forum Leaders listed for this sub-forum to change it.

kami1314
12-01-2011, 02:19 PM
so yea dude,dont take it personal and feel offended,just take it as a reason to take make your work better,maybe something that might help is what some photographers do is have a reflective floor,so maybe add a bit of a reflection ,so that it is known the white BG is intentional.that BG paintover was kinda cool.great style btw

rownd
12-01-2011, 08:27 PM
Wow CGS has gotten picky (a few posts like this one). Geez I'm bummed when no one comments on the images I have on the showcase Gallery. I guess I should consider myself lucky. Anywho...As for this piece. A little reflective lighting can add a lot.

see sample
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa253/jerownd/characters_07.jpg

Xenomen
12-01-2011, 11:24 PM
Hi there,

I think it's all about the white BG and the lack of connection between the subjects. I mean, what exactly are they doing? It looks like a bus station at first, but, why is that tiger a sailor then? Are they on a ship? Then what's the female waiting for? Is that a street? Then what's flying around the female can't be butterflies..Do these small fellows in red point to christmas? Then why is the female dressed in summer attire?

Dizzy?

CGTalk Moderation
12-01-2011, 11:24 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.