PDA

View Full Version : Military Base - something is missing

Creature
11-10-2003, 01:09 PM
The image is very much complete - I just think that somehow something is missing but I can't put my finger on it.

http://www.zabiegly.de/pictures/nonscifi/militarybase.jpg

Garma
11-10-2003, 02:14 PM
good job! Nice details. Indeed it's missing something, it's kinda toyish right now :/ I once heard that rendering with hdri could fix that. Never tried it, but it's worth a try I guess. Finetuning the image in photoshop can also help

good luck.

[edit] removed very stupid advice

Jan Sandahl
11-10-2003, 03:46 PM
The evocative quality perhaps? It doesn´t evoke anything. No elements that create inner or outer drama or feeling. You´re in the wrong forum.

Stratobrain
11-10-2003, 04:01 PM
I like the rainy mood you produce. Maybe you could elaborate a bit on that, like people running, not to get wet, and guards with heavy raincoats (here we have nasty plastic raincoats in the army, don't know how that's elsewhere).

Concerning Jan Sandahl's comment, I'd say your perspective is rather a static overview of the scene, which considerably reduces the drama. In order to get some more involvement you could, for example, move the chopper into the foreground and put some action beside it, like people unloading some boxes.

Technically, one thing I notice is that the floor seems to be dry although it is raining heavily. Usually, water will soon make a concrete floor quite dark and reflective.

Then, and I am not completely sure about that, it might be that the image looses some impact because it is relatively flat in its darker tones. To give more contrast to the nicely glowing parts that are lit by the lightning, you could try to add some deeper shadows. For example, by darkening what lies behind the chopper and other foreground items you could make them stand more apart from the background. Then they might also put on some spotlights if the weather turns out like that, unless they don't want to be seen, of course.

**edit: I didn't mention, but you got a cool model there

mayanut
11-10-2003, 06:34 PM
very nice environment, but i agree you need something to focus on to create a nice "scene". perhaps the easiest way to do this is have a dramatic action caught in still....like a photo from a war photographer. have something happening in the scene that makes a statement. perhaps the lightning can be striking somewhere or some other sort of impending doom. some very striking images have used the device of having a person in the shot not realizing something that the viewer can see. or, you can play up the technology vs. nature aspect in some way.

hope this helps the muse strike!

pyraxis
11-10-2003, 07:45 PM
I agree with mayanut -- in short, it's missing a focal point.

You need an area where there's something going on worth telling a story about. The little figures are a step in the right direction, but they have no clear purpose. (Are they loading the helicopter, guarding it, even attacking it?)

From a technical standpoint, your color palette and your range of darks to lights stays constant throughout the entire piece, which doesn't create much visual interest. Once you'd decided on a focal point, you could add a new light source to it, maybe orange or green, something that would contrast the blue-purple background. (I find it rather odd that there are no man-made lights anywhere in the scene...) Also, you could dodge and burn to create more tonal contrast in the focal point, and maybe tone down the harsh white hilights in areas that you don't want to attract attention to.

chalde
11-10-2003, 09:12 PM
A quick and probably rewarding tweak will be to add a glowing window in the left side building.

I don't mean the stupid small building window, but something like a large office overseeing the Helipad, with light shining from the inside.

It will add a focal point as well as some glow color to the scene.

http://photos.imageevent.com/chalde/115block/websize/militarybase.jpg

Here is a quick mockup - You can see that if I had kept the right side, the window would have been out of focus. Maybe, instead of adding the window, you could have the garage sas glowing.

Just my 2 cents..

marcia
11-10-2003, 10:07 PM
I don't think the glowing window works, unless you intend that to be the focal point of the image. Any bright, glowing object you add is going to draw the viewer's eye and hold it, particularly in a scene as heavily monochromatic as this. You might want to go with something more subtle.

MikeRhone
11-11-2003, 03:16 AM
Its technically a good piece, but as far as emotion and feeling, it is somewhat lacking. You need to think of a mood, and work towards it.

-The lightning need to be POWERFUL, or none existant. As an observer, it seems almost like a second thought. The people on the ground intensify the lack of fear that this piece shows.

-The coloring is flat and stale. It looks like a stock video game level. The modeling and the texturing is good, but the color scheme is not drastic enough. This is the problem with a lot of cg pieces. You want the viewer to see EVERYTHING you've modeled, so you're afraid to leave anything in shadow.

I hope you dont mind, butI've done a quick color correct in photoshop with your piece. While you loose some of the detail, I think that the most drasitic lighting makes it an overall more appealing final image:

My small edit (http://www.wingman.ca/CgTalk/militarybaseedit.jpg)

Mike R

varius
11-11-2003, 08:34 AM
Hey, I like the Rhonedog edit. I dont know what this scene shows(war, peace, something else?) but if it is war, you should add some smoke(form helicopter for example) and maybe some red lamp(alarm) above the gate. Rain coats and water on ground would be good to:). And maybe some montion blur on helicopter's ummm... sorry i dont know how it is called(that thing on top that make helicopters fly:>)

Garma
11-11-2003, 09:01 AM
I think you should be very careful with adding more details like running people and smoke and such. Personally I think they will screw the scene. You got yourself a scene which evokes wetness, cold, steel, motionless (because of the weather) and I wouldn't change that. I'd just improve the mood you already got. The edit of Rhonedog is cool, but I'd keep the amount of colours lower. However, he is right about the modelling part: don't be shy to leave things in the shadows. You can make the scene more mystical (dangerous) by doing this.

nova
11-11-2003, 07:06 PM
hi creature,

did you use any reference for this scene? because it looks really similar to one of my friend's drawings.

[edit: nevermind, my friend says you quoted him on your page. all good]

Thomaz
11-12-2003, 11:52 AM
move the camera down to the ground.
It will get you more into the scene (I think)..

nova
11-12-2003, 07:28 PM
me again :)

currently the image[s], even though the structures are done very well, resemble what you might see through a pair of binoculars, rather than a painting. you should include a foreground, middleground and background, that way you'll be sucked into the scene. look at this one: http://www.goodbrush.com/hirez_pgs/concept/concept2/cargohold.htm

he's got some posts and a pirate in there for the foreground, the captain for the middleground and a doorway thing for the foreground. it really draws you in.

so for this image, put in some foreground elements. you might need to lower the camera for them to be believable, since a foreground might not make sense if you're up in the air unless you're talking about a tower or something tall. include a background, like some mountains or a sky with some clouds that go on for a while.

Zappa
11-12-2003, 08:41 PM
hEY!Creature,

I like the overall feeling in the image and from what i see the ways to improve it would be :

!) the rain : the raindrops scaling seems to be off somehow...maybe its the way the camera picks it up...but look at the size of your falling raindrop compared to the humans in the scene ( almost the same size).

2) Lighting: This in my mind is the most important to make it look real and intresting.....have like street lighting...since you have a huge scene....there are no lil lights anywhere in the scene....even the helicoptr isnt lit from the inside...besides all landing strips have some kind of lighting.Also use this lighting to focus on intresting things happening (on the humans doin somethin ;-) you get the idea)

3) a light fog would help add a lil depth to the scene...but not very necessary.

Just my views....hope that helps.

Cheers
zappa

Carrot Juice
11-13-2003, 02:15 AM
IMHO it's actually almost there, and the current compostion has set it up perfectly for a focus. all you need to do is subtly add brighter/ abberant from your current gray-and-blue scheme colors on the area you want to be the focus of the image, and it will have a real flow for the eye. The actual geometric (not lighting or mood) compositon is quite good: the centers of interest are not in the center of the image, making it feel more balanced. You just need something to stand out to add a focal point and a purpose to all this bustle.

Drakaran
11-15-2003, 09:39 PM
it's pretty obvious what it's missing. This is a good environment that's missing a subject... a focus. like already stated, don't put in more background detail, decide on a subject and put it in there *smile*

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.