PDA

View Full Version : NEW messiah video: Flex & More

fwtep
11-10-2003, 10:49 AM
Yes, another video is ready for viewing. This one covers Flex and more. If you thought you knew Flex, think again.

http://www.projectmessiah.com/x2/videos.htm (It's near the bottom.) Feel free to pass that link along to anyone you feel might be interested.

Fred

PS: The web site seems to be going very slow right now, so it's definitely a good idea to right-click and save/watch the video locally.

chikega
11-10-2003, 11:02 AM
Thank you, merci, gracias, grazie,.... this helps soooo much!

Carm3D
11-10-2003, 12:00 PM
Very cool! Thanks!

Julez4001
11-10-2003, 12:42 PM
Thanks Fred, I feel that you answered me directly, but i know it was a group plea for questions about this tool. PPL don't understand the reason why Newtek and ALias have tutorials is because they saw Messiah packed with goodies those years ago and are now spoiled with the competition of "tutorials".

If I may be so bold,
a deformation overview:
Motion/Softbody Dynamics should be next with a hint of NormScale (what is this thing anyway) & lagpoints.

or

M:Compose with a biped character.

Geco
11-10-2003, 01:14 PM
thanks for the http://tinyurl.com/udox video. http://tinyurl.com/ud4k

My Fault
11-10-2003, 05:12 PM
And make sure you watch this video to the Real end, not just The End :p

Fred definitely does some of the best (and funniest) video tutorials around. Messiah has so much more power then I had thought. I do still wish some of these things could be done visually instead of having to plug in expressions, although Messiah does seem to do a nice job of making using expressions much easier. For instance I would love to see something like AM's smartskin. Say, adjust the pitch of the arm and just move the flexpoints around to how you want them, instead of plugging in expressions. Still, great feature!

fwtep
11-10-2003, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by My Fault
And make sure you watch this video to the Real end, not just The End :p

[snip] I do still wish some of these things could be done visually instead of having to plug in expressions, although Messiah does seem to do a nice job of making using expressions much easier. For instance I would love to see something like AM's smartskin. Say, adjust the pitch of the arm and just move the flexpoints around to how you want them, instead of plugging in expressions. Still, great feature!
You can do that with expresssions, though it's not 100% point-and-click... yet. Keep in mind (and if you talk to people make sure they know too) that the things in the videos or tutorials are just *one* way of doing someting, not the only way. They're just to show how to use a feature, not necessarily how to do something for real.

For example, as cool as that Flex muscle thing is, you could do the same thing by just putting a bone there and having it be moved by the rotation of the forearm. Our you could do morphs, like in Taron's setup. Or you could make the muscle a Puppet Master segment, etc.

That's one of the greatest things about messiah: that you're not tied into one way of doing things. You can choose how you do something based on how you like to work, rather than how the programmers have forced you to work.

Julez4001
11-10-2003, 05:52 PM
Joe Cosman explains taron setup for pitch driving morphs in his videos. For beginners, really great buy!
use Dmorph and save out your "smartskin" and add it back in via MorphBlender.

My Fault
11-10-2003, 06:07 PM
Man you guys.... why does my credit card keep appearing in my hand and the PMG website shop section keep showing up on my browser :p

I have had more fun with the Messiah demo in the last few days then I did a few years back when I actually owned Messiah. I guess after spending some time with Maya, Soft and a few other packages, I can more appreciate the ease in which it works. I'm still fumbling here and there but I am in awe how quickly you can set up a basic rig and just start animating. Very, very impressive! :thumbsup:

Julez: So you would recommend Joe's videos then? He was one of the most talented AM users from way back (mad modelling skillz!) and it seems like he is really hitting his stride with Messiah.

Julez4001
11-10-2003, 06:46 PM
I like Joe's tape,
because of my experience I didn't find the face rigging tutorial all that informative ..its the lowest priced Cd but if you buy the 3 pack you practically get it for 10$ ($150 - sep or $120 together).

The other CDs are great. the Inverse foot setup is gooden from Body CD and the mini-tuts are great too... if you ar ebeginner, its great info fro dirt cheap, if you are vet, some stuff can be tedious (he tends repeats a few steps several time..like rigging a finger ...he will do all fingers) and "yawn" but a few nuggets creep in and it does give alternated perspective on doing things.

Like we have these messiah plugins (2 weeks old) now but learning the old way will definitely give u more power and knowledge for down the road "heavier rigs". the expressions information were great.

From a vet POV,

disk 1 - B+
disk 2 C
disk 3 B -

from a newbie POV

disk 1 A
disk 2 B-
disk 3 A

I'd say buy them.

My Fault
11-10-2003, 10:05 PM
Consider them bought!

Thanks Julez

Sil3
11-11-2003, 03:27 AM
Added a Tip post on the Tips and Tricks section regarding Flex Effect, be sure to check it out, last post on the first page:

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=73788

Thanks for the tip jipe :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.