PDA

View Full Version : I dont know where to start. :/

justin99
11-05-2011, 04:08 AM
My name's Justin and im a junior in highschool. Ive always loved video games and ever since my parents bought a nintend 64 for my 5th birthday. Since then I suppose, Ive always wanted to play a part in makeing them (specifically conceptual art, createing the characters, landscapes,Etc). But the thing is i really have no experience game development, and its pretty much freaking me out. I just really dont know the first thing about getting into th game industry or how to become apart of the teams that make the enviroments of Oblivion, Fallout, and such. I could just use any type of advise that anyone has to offer, Like what degrees i should pursue, softwares i should get accustom to useing, What schools i should apply to, things of that nature. All advise will be greatly appreciated thank you!!! :thumbsup:

Robbyh
11-07-2011, 08:01 AM
It depends on a few different things such as : What type of artist do you want to be ?
3D modeler ? CG ? Animator ? and so on ...

Id say pick and chose what you like best as a career and go to a school that has basics introduction.

My recommended school : Vancouver VFS Canada.
And software of choice usualy is : Zbrush / Mudbox for sculpting. Maya / Max for modeling.
Since it sounds you want to be a environment artist from ur small text !

brucem91
11-08-2011, 08:35 PM
While you are in high school I would recommend checking out the Unreal Development Kit. It's a free SDK for creating games, and is the same engine for game like Gears of War, Unreal Tournament, and other games. It's very easy to get into.

As a start, I would watch the 3d buzz videos first to get familiar with the engine.

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/VideoTutorials.html

they are near the bottom of the page. They are slightly older, but I think that the only issues you will ever have is when they go into UIScenes, which is the old HUD overlay system for unreal.

After you get the basics of the engine, I would then recommend starting to create your own assets in a program like Max/Maya. You can even use the free Blender as well. I prefer Maya, but Max can work out great as well.

But yea, in the industry your quality of work is way more important than a degree. You still have a year and a half left in school. Their is a lot you could learn on your own in that time. But if you really do want to go to a school, I would recommend a focused 2 year school. For example I go the Los Angeles film school, and it's an 18 month program for computer animation. Because it's an associates and not a bachelors, it winds up being cheaper than some other fast schools. If not, then at least take some local classes in art to improve your artistic abilities while you are also working on game environments.

SciFibrow
11-09-2011, 06:32 AM
While you are in high school I would recommend checking out the Unreal Development Kit. It's a free SDK for creating games, and is the same engine for game like Gears of War, Unreal Tournament, and other games. It's very easy to get into.

As a start, I would watch the 3d buzz videos first to get familiar with the engine.

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/VideoTutorials.html

they are near the bottom of the page. They are slightly older, but I think that the only issues you will ever have is when they go into UIScenes, which is the old HUD overlay system for unreal.

After you get the basics of the engine, I would then recommend starting to create your own assets in a program like Max/Maya. You can even use the free Blender as well. I prefer Maya, but Max can work out great as well.

But yea, in the industry your quality of work is way more important than a degree. You still have a year and a half left in school. Their is a lot you could learn on your own in that time. But if you really do want to go to a school, I would recommend a focused 2 year school. For example I go the Los Angeles film school, and it's an 18 month program for computer animation. Because it's an associates and not a bachelors, it winds up being cheaper than some other fast schools. If not, then at least take some local classes in art to improve your artistic abilities while you are also working on game environments.

Building your own levels is lots of fun. I've followed the 3DBuzz videos for an earlier version of that engine and they are very straightforward. If you can get your art skills up at such an early age combined with the level building, you're set. No reason why you can't take advantage of living at home to get fully skilled up.

razorbjc
11-14-2011, 01:24 AM
Hey, I work in animation, but I know a few people in the games industry and here's what I think...

Be an Artist First, Game Artist Second
As a high school student, you should focus on your artwork more than the technical side of things. Learning UDK and Maya is fine and all, but that won't separate you from all the other teens that like to tinker with software. Most people I know that work in VFX, Games, and Animation are people who were artists since childhood. As in they have been drawing, painting, and sculpting for a long time. Their games/digital work is only an extension of what they could already do in more traditional mediums.

As far as college goes, try going to school in a gaming hub like San Francisco, Vancouver, or Austin. Those places would likely have the best professors and most opportunities for you to break into the industry.

Stand On the Shoulders of Giants
I recommend looking at the end credits of games and writing down the artists that worked on them. You will very likely find their websites/portfolios on the internet. This will give you a barometer as to how good your work needs to be in order to one day work alongside them. You can even look at their resumes and see what schools they went to and where they got their first starts in the business.

I went to school with somebody who now works at Bethesda doing character modeling. She has worked on Fallout and Skyrim. This is her website (http://www.polycreature.com). This was the portfolio that earned her the job at Bethesda. Can you match this quality? because this is what it's gonna take.

SciFibrow
11-14-2011, 03:00 AM
I went to school with somebody who now works at Bethesda doing character modeling. She has worked on Fallout and Skyrim. This is her website (http://www.polycreature.com/). This was the portfolio that earned her the job at Bethesda. Can you match this quality? because this is what it's gonna take.

It can't hurt to aim high but your friend's reel is pretty good for "entry level". That's AAA title quality. If everyone applying for entry level jobs was actually that good, most games would look a lot better...

brucem91
11-14-2011, 07:41 AM
i also agree that getting strong art skills can help you. I don't know if you have or are taking any art classes, but for sure see if you can take an art class senior year. Picking up the basics of the unreal engine are actually pretty easy with those 3d buzz videos. That plus a strong art base could get you very far. I would also look into taking some sort of 3d modeling workshop, either through cgsociety or else where. I would imagine then by about half-way through senior year you could be ready to start creating small level environments by yourself in unreal.

CGTalk Moderation
11-14-2011, 07:41 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.