PDA

View Full Version : face rig tutorial (meta effectors and muscle bones)

grzesiekj
11-10-2003, 09:22 AM
Hi:)
I have just posted tutorial covering simple face setup
it shows the basic use of Meta Effectors and muscle bones in rigging the
lips

http://www.3dluvr.com/jonkajtys/messiah_rig/index.htm

enjoy

Im planning to continue this tutorial, to show upper face rig (forhead
wrinkles, eyes ecc)
Please give me a hint, if this kind of stuff could be usefull.

Cheers

G.Jonkajtys
www.3dluvr.com/jonkajtys

Julez4001
11-10-2003, 01:59 PM
Very kool Tutorial.
Thansk for making it. I was gonna ,ake one but I got a different ideas.

Here an old rig I did back 2001 with PMG 1.5.7 plugin for Lightwave.

http://64.225.100.82/julez/animz/unshaded.avi

I got nulls that point to the center ont he mouth to make for some rather wierd distortions and shapes and make a alternative bends.

You guys are spoiled with the new Parent in Place and Constraint plugin thats for sure.

Tips: add spherize to the musclebones in the brow and with Fred's new Flex tutorial taht'll definitely give u a few ideas.

fwtep
11-10-2003, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by Julez4001
Very kool Tutorial.
Thansk for making it. Hey Julez are you letting Popeye do your typing for you again? :p

PauHana
11-11-2003, 01:01 AM
Thanks for the info! Nicely done and easy to follow:beer:

Sil3
11-11-2003, 04:51 AM
Thanks for the tut grzesiekj :thumbsup:

Stoehr
11-11-2003, 04:55 AM
Nice tutorial. Much appreciated.

chikega
11-11-2003, 12:16 PM
Very well done tutorial - I also like the head model a lot - nice details. I'd love to see it animated.

Geco
11-11-2003, 12:55 PM
thank you for the tutorial. :thumbsup:

http://tinyurl.com/uiqz

Atwooki
11-11-2003, 01:07 PM
grzesiekj:
Tutorial's looking well thought out, and nicely presented... :thumbsup:

Looking forward to the upper facial rig, nice one!

Atwooki

grzesiekj
11-11-2003, 06:10 PM
Thanks.
I'm figuring out different wrinkles methods (for the forhead)
and will post next part of the tutorial soon :)

grzesiek

chikega
11-14-2003, 02:42 PM
I just went to your website, Grzegorz. I recognize a lot of your work from your C4d days and images from Evasion3d. I'm especially intriqued by your female alien head - exceptionally nice texturing and rendering! The SSS effect around the ears is a nice touch as well. Did you achieve this effect using a subtle self-illumation map or did you use a SSS shader like Worley's G2. I've experimented with SSS using Worley's G2 plugin:

http://www.3ddmd.com/test_renders.htm

If you wouldn't mind, what is your workflow for personal projects these days? I know you use Messiah for rigging and animating and LW for rendering - but as for modeling and texturing what do prefer to you use these days? :)

grzesiekj
11-14-2003, 06:42 PM
Hi:)
You can read about this image in this thread:

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=101130

I have used Body Paint 2 for texturing (mainly cloning the images of the skin i took with digital camera)

And After Effects comp tricks for SSS faking.
Its not very accurate, Your experiments with G2 are awesome :)

in that thread, i have posted some texture images and comp layers, (page 2)

Julez4001
11-14-2003, 09:20 PM
chikega
In u g2 examples for the fetus hand..how did you get the see thru effect...
Is it model to be hollow?
Double sided ?
can u post ur settings in surface edtor and g2

chikega
11-14-2003, 10:04 PM
Grzegorz: I somehow missed that post ... it should really be on the front page - or did I miss that too? It's very nice to see the image maps. And the ole' Z-buffer to fake the SSS in AE - nice. I also use BP2 and need to find time to learn some of the new features (projection mapping).

I like G2 a lot - but, my only gripe is that I'm not able to get soft shadows showing from behind a translucent object. The shadows are hard coded within G2 to have very hard-edged ray traced looking shadows. So, I'm very excited about continuing my SSS experiments in Messiah Studio 1.5. But, I've been at it for a couple of days - and I'm not getting any results. It's a bit esoteric at this point for me. I would love to see how that translucent white head on pmG's main page was created. Anybody know who did it?

By the way, Grzegorz, since you use or have used C4d, did you know the next iteration, 8.5, is going to have SSS - so, it goes without saying that I'm anxious to try out their implementation as well. Should be shipping at the end of this month.

Julez: No, the arm is straight from the LW scene files (Scenes>_Features>BoneWeights>ArmDeform.lws) - it hasn't been modified to be double-sided or modelled to be hollow (like for glass). I'll update the web page tonight to include screen grabs of the Surface Editor - but there's really not much going on there. Most of the magic is happening in G2 and the settings for G2 are already up on the page.

:)

chikega
11-14-2003, 11:59 PM
Julez: I added some more screen grabs. So, that should help a bit. These experiments were actually made with an older version of G2 Rev1. It's kind of a long story - but DNA productions wanted G2 Rev1.5 to work a bit differently. I've corresponded with Steve Hurley and he's trying to convince Worley to add the ability to vary translucency through the use of grayscale images and/or procedurals as before. Hopefully, they'll get that back into G2 Rev2.

So, I keep two plugins - G2_new.p and G2_old.p Hahaha.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.