PDA

View Full Version : What to Model for Showreel!

martinnewcombe
11-10-2003, 08:32 AM
Gidday Modelling Guru's!

I was wondering if you've got a moment to give me a little advice. I really like modelling and texturing and wouldn't mind persuing a career as a modeller, I already have a degrre in 3D Animation but want to tailor my showreel more towards modelling.

I am a little confused as to what to model in order to get noticed in the industry, I have thought of modelling 4 objects, firstly I was thinking of modelling and texturing a Tuatara lizard, secondly a mechanical item, i.e a digger, and also a human(like a super hero), both a high and low poly version(for games), making a total of 4 models in total.

Do you think that I need to do all four or just one really good one, and how should they be presented, should they be just turntables with wire mesh or actually animate them? What does an employer looking for a modeller look for?

Any suggestions are really appreciated!

Cheers

actarusprocyon
11-10-2003, 03:23 PM
I think it will depend greatly on where you send it.

I've never made a DemoReel(that's what you meant right?),and maybe some people will tell me it shows but it can't hurt to have,1;Organic models,2;Mechanics,3;possibly a mix of both 4:Fluid Animations and most importantly,make it amazing(really that's up to you)!

Also,have a look at the many portfolios/reel people post around the internet and this very place and read the critiques there are about them.

Good luck!

martinnewcombe
11-12-2003, 07:49 PM
Hi Atarusprocyon

Thanks for the adivce its much appreciated!

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.