PDA

View Full Version : Which college to attend - Digital art & 3D animation- Queens, New York

INathan
11-03-2011, 09:20 PM
Hi, everyone; Im 17 years old, have a High School diploma (Not from USA), I am resident in Queens, New York and I want to attend to a Digital arts and 3D animation college or institute.
I have done a deep research I think these are the best two possibilities:

The Art Institutes of Philadelphia - Online - Media arts & animation - Bachelor (http://aionline.edu/media-arts-animation-degree/)
City University of New York (Queens college) - Campus - Digital media program - Bachelor (http://www.cuny.edu/academics/programs/notable/digital-media.html)

:) I`m interested especificly in taking these classes:
General digital art
Drawing for 3D animation and storyboard
3D modeling, texturing, compositing, animating and rendering
Sound FX designer and music composer
Film editing, composing and mastering

:cool: I am good at:

Creativity (Freaky MacGyver-like ideas)
Drawing (Finishing, shadows, shades, etc)
Music (Recording, Editing, Mixing, Composing)
Video and Image (Editing, Composing, Rendering)
3D (Modeling, texturing, Rendering, Stereographic)
PC (almost any task)

I know what you may think. :surprised :argh: :eek: :curious: :rolleyes: . But I can manage to handle any software with a little practice and some Internet research and tutorials, but, for now, I`ve only experience with these mayor software:

Google Sketchup
Reallusion IClone
Adobe Phosothop
Adobe Premiere
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Illustrator
Adobe Audition
Magix Video Pro
Sony Vegas
Fruty Loops
Corel Video Studio
Pinnacle HD
Audacity
Phantamorph
Genetica
Terragen
Natural motion Endorphin
Microsoft Office
And so, and so...

As you can see, I haven`t almost any experience with Autodesk 3D Studio or Maya or ZBrush, because I know that they are extense classes that I may learn in college.

:beer: Now, what I`m asking for is:

Advises about any college requirement or career tips.
Advises according to my interests, knowledge and your experience.
Opinions about what topics should I be studying or software that should I be practicing.
Statistics about jobs hirings on each branch of my career so that I can focus my effort on that one.
Computer hardware or software requirements.
Tips about learning or software techniques.
Any other useful opinion, advise, idea, tool, webpage or possibility.

I really have a passion for this carreer and I really hope that you could help me. :bowdown:
Meanwhile... Me :banghead:

alextui
11-21-2011, 10:18 PM
Don't pick the online one, usually employer is not thinking it is credible.

Acoolme is an Online Marketing Software Platform And Social Community (http://www.acoolme.com)

INathan
11-24-2011, 10:51 PM
:thumbsup: Thanks, I will take it into account

leigh
11-25-2011, 01:51 PM

Uh, no. Studios really don't care about whether your education was online or not. They care about your work.

INathan
11-28-2011, 07:44 PM
Uh, no. Studios really don't care about whether your education was online or not. They care about your work.

So, is the Demo reel the most important requirement? Or does the awarded degree make some difference?

leigh
11-28-2011, 07:49 PM
Yes, your work is the most important thing. Honestly, this has been stated countless times on this forum and it's getting pretty tiring seeing people who don't bother doing a search before posting a question for the millionth time. Do you know what else employers find attractive? People who take initiative. So try taking some.

:/

INathan
12-06-2011, 09:11 PM
Yes, your work is the most important thing. Honestly, this has been stated countless times on this forum and it's getting pretty tiring seeing people who don't bother doing a search before posting a question for the millionth time. Do you know what else employers find attractive? People who take initiative. So try taking some.

:/

You`re pretty right about the initiatives, but I missed to specify that I was comparing self-taught with degree awarded (in spite of the demo reel and asuming that both have a similar experience)

CGTalk Moderation
12-06-2011, 09:11 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.