elvis75k
10-31-2011, 05:41 PM
http://meshmixer.com/about.html

philnolan3d
10-31-2011, 05:47 PM
Aw, what a shame...

SoulVector
10-31-2011, 05:55 PM
Well. Autodesk wants in on the Voxel game! Expect Mudbox to have it soon. I guess.

philnolan3d
10-31-2011, 05:57 PM
Meshmixer doesn't use voxels.

xtrm3d
10-31-2011, 07:04 PM
Aw, what a shame...

nahhhh, very exited time ahead for autodesk user ..
looking forward to it

Airflow
10-31-2011, 07:10 PM
This in max with Wrapit would rock.

philnolan3d
10-31-2011, 07:57 PM
looking forward to it

Well I hope you like paying a fortune for it.

pencil-head
10-31-2011, 08:11 PM
Its still free to download. I don't know what your complaining about. The only downside is there probably won't be any further development on the stand alone app. The upside (if i had to guess) is that it will probably get integrated in to 3dsmax the some way polyboost did.

SoulVector
10-31-2011, 08:23 PM

Oh. I just had a fast look at it and assumed so.

DuttyFoot
10-31-2011, 08:23 PM
AD is on a roll. i guess we can prepare to see this included in there 3d apps

3dtutorial
10-31-2011, 08:49 PM
Great news as far as I am concerned!

Cheers,

Joe

Airflow
10-31-2011, 09:09 PM
Hi Joe, been a while.
Chat soon about Vray skin and such.

:)

3dtutorial
10-31-2011, 09:16 PM
Hi Joe, been a while.
Chat soon about Vray skin and such.

:)

Hi Rob,

Good to see you mate !

Cheers,

Joe

Phrenzy84
10-31-2011, 10:48 PM
I imagine that Autodesk will go down the road that Pixologic and Sculptris took.

Expect to see Meshmixer tech in the next major update of mudbox.

Ammarkk
10-31-2011, 11:06 PM
Well,I guess Autodesk thinking seriously about moving Mudbox to the next step.Who knows.

xtrm3d
10-31-2011, 11:09 PM
Originally Posted by xtrm3d
looking forward to it

Well I hope you like paying a fortune for it.

well as long as i can make a ""fortune"' with my work .. then i am fine
not every one is a freelancer .. employer buy that stuff for their employeee :-)
\

dantea
11-01-2011, 01:50 AM

Yes, judging from the author, I'd say implicit surfaces. aka ShapeShop, BlobTrees, etc.

Ballo
11-01-2011, 09:15 AM
There are good news as a Mudbox user.

AJ
11-01-2011, 09:43 AM
Well I hope you like paying a fortune for it.The only thing more ludicrous than software/brand loyalty, is blanket dismissal. Meshmixer is excellent & I look forward to seeing how the tech is going will be developed & ultimately incorporated.

hanskloss
11-01-2011, 11:29 AM
Aw, what a shame... A shame that you didn't write it and didn't sell it to ADSK to make money?:) lol...I hate ADSK as much as anyone else, but that is how it works, someone writes something innovative and sells it to make money. Simple. ADSK's M&E division hasn't innovated in years. All they have done in the last decade almost was purchase other technologies/companies that developed great software. Annoying, hell yes. Legal, hell yes. That's business for you. Cheers :)

Vojislav+Milanovic
11-01-2011, 11:43 AM
It will be interesting to see how much AD users are going to pay for the upgrade that enables them to use what Zbrush artists got for free, Dynamesh I mean by that.

Ballo
11-01-2011, 11:52 AM
Zbrush buy sculptris, fine, Autodesk, meshmixer, wrong. What's the difference?

Vojislav+Milanovic
11-01-2011, 12:26 PM
If you are paying for the software, you'll see the difference.

visualride
11-01-2011, 04:04 PM
This would seem to be a good thing for Mudbox, but AutoDesk doesn't have the best track record for acquiring companies and then incorporating the new tech in it's other software, especially as compared to Pixologic and Sculptris. We never saw Alias Hotbox gestures incorporated in Max, and software companies acquired to put together Combustion was put to rest as Combustion was discontinued among others. The company, PolyTools was great software, but had a cluttered interface before it was aquired, and arguably still has a cluttered interface now as Graphite Modeling tools.

My point being that even if AutoDesk does use this great new software, I wouldn't count on a mind bending implementation the way that Zbrush uses Scultpris tech.

oglu
11-01-2011, 04:22 PM
ryan is workign for Autodesk since years... so its no suprise...

xtrm3d
11-01-2011, 06:37 PM
I hate ADSK as much as anyone else

hate ? such a strong feeling .. for something so trivial ..
if i do not like the direction a software company is taking , then i look for alternative ,
this is 2012 .. and there is a lot of alternative out there ...
just saying ... :-)

Airflow
11-01-2011, 07:53 PM
We never saw Alias Hotbox gestures incorporated in Max, and software companies acquired to put together Combustion was put to rest as Combustion was discontinued among others.

Point taken, but Mud does have a hotbox style navigation, and you can now round robin assets from all of the big three programs, and combustion, well it was great but looking at Nuke now, it kinda fades into obscurity.

P.s, just had a play in MM and boy is it intuitive and fun. Could do with some refining but this now if officially my doodler from now on.

meshmixer
11-01-2011, 11:57 PM
w00t! another convert =)

If you have specific feedback please post it on the meshmixer forum. Easily half of the sculpting capabilities, and things like the Extract tool, were the direct result of people asking for it.

vlad
11-02-2011, 12:23 AM
It will be interesting to see how much AD users are going to pay for the upgrade that enables them to use what Zbrush artists got for free, Dynamesh I mean by that.

AFAIK, AD havent changed their licences prices in years.

moogaloonie
11-02-2011, 06:59 AM
hate ? such a strong feeling .. for something so trivial ..
if i do not like the direction a software company is taking , then i look for alternative ,
this is 2012 .. and there is a lot of alternative out there ...
just saying ... :-)

And hate is the feeling you have when you do look for, and do find, an alternative, and then it becomes part of Autodesk. Much of the problem some people have with them is their habit of buying the very thing we chose to use because they didn't own it. I prefer innovative companies to those with deep pockets, for how little that's worth.

I can't personally afford their software, so I don't use any of them. I'm not knocking their products.

regeneration2005
11-04-2011, 08:54 AM
never tried mesh mixer but seemed good on the video. dynamesh is a little bit different but it helped me a lot.

AD cant be creative anymore?

vlad
11-05-2011, 02:59 AM
And hate is the feeling you have when you do look for, and do find, an alternative, and then it becomes part of Autodesk. Much of the problem some people have with them is their habit of buying the very thing we chose to use because they didn't own it. I prefer innovative companies to those with deep pockets, for how little that's worth.

I can't personally afford their software, so I don't use any of them. I'm not knocking their products.

If you have to hate someone, dont you think it's the one who sells rather than the other way around?

moogaloonie
11-06-2011, 12:07 AM
If you have to hate someone, dont you think it's the one who sells rather than the other way around?

I don't hate anyone - buyers, sellers or users. I was talking about a feeling. I liked Truespace. I hated the feeling I got when Microsoft bought, and unsurprisingly, killed it. Some people, for some reason, do not like Pixologic. They seemed to "hate" hearing that Pixologic had hired Dr. Petter, as many of those same people had chosen Sculptris specifically as an alternative to Pixologic's products. I would hate to see a nice free program like meshmixer get swallowed up into an expensive program I could likely no longer use. Maybe "hate" is too strong a word, but people use it that way.

I'd certainly consider buying meshmixer in some affordable stand-alone form though.

moogaloonie
11-08-2011, 11:12 PM
I just noticed that the newest video refers to it as Autodesk meshmixer (as does this thread title ;)).

So it's now their software, but they haven't given it a page of its own yet... If they do now own it, great that they are still giving it away. I wonder if it will become a commercial product?

InfernalDarkness
11-09-2011, 09:01 AM
The only thing more ludicrous than software/brand loyalty, is blanket dismissal.

Best statement this site's seen in years. And along those lines:

AD cant be creative anymore?

@regeneration2005: They never were, Regen. When have you seen Autodesk be creative? They aren't in the creation or creativity industry - they make software. They make tools. When was the last time you saw Makita or Dremel be creative? What about Crafstman or Kobalt? Autodesk is a maker of software tools, not artwork.

Blanket dismissal based on poor logic.

philnolan3d
11-09-2011, 11:24 AM
@regeneration2005: They never were, Regen. When have you seen Autodesk be creative? They aren't in the creation or creativity industry - they make software. They make tools. When was the last time you saw Makita or Dremel be creative? What about Crafstman or Kobalt? Autodesk is a maker of software tools, not artwork.

Occasionally hardware companies do come up with new tools, in fact the dremel itself was a creative solution to a problem. Most of the other tools like the hammer have been tried and tested for decades if not centuries. How about the nail gun? That's a creative solution for when the hammer wasn't fast enough. It is autodesk's business to be creative, but not to create art, to create new tools.

InfernalDarkness
11-09-2011, 06:30 PM
It is autodesk's business to be creative, but not to create art, to create new tools.

No, it's not. It's not up to you to define Autodesk's business, son. It's not your company.

Go program a new application and start your own company, and then you can dictate such mission statements. Or just stick with Lightwave.

xtrm3d
11-09-2011, 09:22 PM
Or just stick with Lightwave

http://i50.tinypic.com/otmelg.gif

Bullit
11-09-2011, 10:03 PM
No one forced the Meshmixer creator to sell it to Autodesk.
It is also possible that Autodesk buys help drive people to write nice freeware applications in expectation they will be bought.
If all applications start as freeware and are bought by someone that is okay for industry development. And even for users that get a freeware application at start of development.
Many of developers don't have and or don't want commercial acumen to build a business.

hanskloss
11-09-2011, 10:06 PM
No, it's not. It's not up to you to define Autodesk's business, son. It's not your company.

Go program a new application and start your own company, and then you can dictate such mission statements. Or just stick with Lightwave.

Dude take a chill pill, why you gotta be all "he-bitch" all of the sudden?:) He HAS a point you know.

CHRiTTeR
11-09-2011, 10:08 PM
... They aren't in the creation or creativity industry ... they make software ... They make tools ...

talk about contradiction

BigPixolin
11-09-2011, 10:45 PM
This thread is amazing, the attitudes and plain craziness in this thread make me ashamed to say I am a cg artist also.

CGTalk Moderation
11-09-2011, 10:45 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.