PDA

View Full Version : Drawing from the foundation

Dahlium
10-28-2011, 01:04 PM
Hi!
I'm a 19 year old girl whos been drawing since I was 12 years old, but the problem is i never really learned the foundation.
Whenever people tell me to "construct" things in general and especially from imagination, I just get confused. My goal is to be able to do those awesome fantasy pictures or for example cartoons - I love the old Disney for example - but that goal feels far away now when I haven't improved really since I was 13.

When I draw I usually do some sketches from life, or draw from a photograph portrait, just the way I've always done, then I sit down and see a "awesome picture" in my head and start drawing and do a "masterpiece" from imagination with turn out badly and then I get frustrated XD
Then I go online and read about "construction" and tries to think about how the nose is shaped (without ref) when I draw from imagination and then it get even worse XD

Can also add I've never really drawn technically but more that "one should draw with a artistic expression" when sketching etc.

I've got the tips to draw only from life but yeah all help and advice are really appreciated.

Lunatique
11-01-2011, 05:55 AM
You need to study anatomy and figure--that is the only way you will learn how to draw/paint people out of your head without needing references. Read the sticky threads for advice on what books to get, and how to learn/practice/grow in your ability to depict people with credibility and expressiveness, regardless of style.

CGTalk Moderation
11-01-2011, 05:55 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.