PDA

View Full Version : Report: Nintendo Bleeding Cash

RobertoOrtiz
10-26-2011, 01:44 PM
Quote:
"Those days are over, apparently. According to Japan's Nikkei, the Kyoto-based game maker is poised to post huge losses tomorrow.
Profits are supposedly down a staggering ¥100 billion ($1.3 billion), which is twice what Nintendo forecast.

The two major culprits are struggling hardware sales and the stubbornly strong Japanese yen. Nintendo makes 80 percent of its profits from foreign sales, and lost a whopping ¥40 billion yen in foreign exchange. That's $526 million gone right there—poof."

http://kotaku.com/5853416/report-nintendo-bleeding-cash

Charkins
10-26-2011, 02:23 PM
The two major culprits are struggling hardware sales and the stubbornly strong Japanese yen

Uh. Perhaps the major culprit is a subpar gaming console and a bleak future? Wii is the only console I have, and it rocks for netflix. That's about it.

What do we have to look forward to coming from Nintendo?

gamedeveloper
10-26-2011, 02:31 PM
Agreed.

Wii is the only console I have and I only use it for Netflix and (Excite Truck every now and then).

...I have no plans to purchase another game for it.

darthviper107
10-26-2011, 02:51 PM
And I can easily see both the 3DS and the Wii U doing poorly.

Wii U can do poorly just from how most of the games will be available on PS3 and Xbox 360, and even though it would have some special features due to the controller, the PS3 can probably do the same stuff using the PS3 and PSP Vita together.

Plus if we don't get a new console announcement from Microsoft or Sony in 2012 then we're sure to get one in 2013, meaning the Wii U will have a very short time on the market before it's obsolete again.

I'm also wondering if people will start getting tired of how many Mario games they keep releasing.

DuttyFoot
10-26-2011, 03:40 PM
Plus if we don't get a new console announcement from Microsoft or Sony in 2012 then we're sure to get one in 2013, meaning the Wii U will have a very short time on the market before it's obsolete again.

not sure how true but someone claimed that 2013 e3 will be the revealing of the next xbox which will probably come out the following year. i have a 3ds and its not bad but nintendo should have done more and just come out with the DS 2 which is what most people were hoping for. the price drop of the 3ds from 250 to 169 didn't help much at all. thank god i waited and bought mine used :)
i have some hope for the wiiU, lets see what happens next year
i remember hearing specs of the next handheld and some things like tegra and got excited, but i guess that didn't happen with the 3ds at all.

I'm also wondering if people will start getting tired of how many Mario games they keep releasing.

yup, after a while it loses its appeal.

darthviper107
10-26-2011, 08:56 PM
not sure how true but someone claimed that 2013 e3 will be the revealing of the next xbox which will probably come out the following year. i have a 3ds and its not bad but nintendo should have done more and just come out with the DS 2 which is what most people were hoping for. the price drop of the 3ds from 250 to 169 didn't help much at all. thank god i waited and bought mine used :)
i have some hope for the wiiU, lets see what happens next year
i remember hearing specs of the next handheld and some things like tegra and got excited, but i guess that didn't happen with the 3ds at all.

yup, after a while it loses its appeal.

With the 3DS put most of the development into the 3D feature and it doesn't seem like that's taking off all that well with people. So if you don't care about the 3D it doesn't have that much of a draw. It also hurts that there aren't very many good games for it (and there weren't any on launch).

Michael5188
10-26-2011, 10:21 PM

My thoughts exactly. When I heard the Wii U would be as powerful as the Xbox or PS3, I couldn't believe my ears. Why match current gen when it's on its way out?

darthviper107
10-26-2011, 10:29 PM
My thoughts exactly. When I heard the Wii U would be as powerful as the Xbox or PS3, I couldn't believe my ears. Why match current gen when it's on its way out?

I don't think they had a choice--the Wii was dying--the real reason for how little they've made this year is because there's only one game coming out for Wii this year--the new Zelda game and that's it. If they didn't put out a new console they'd be going down really quick, notice how poorly they presented the Wii U. It really seems like a rush job.

DuttyFoot
10-27-2011, 12:18 AM
With the 3DS put most of the development into the 3D feature and it doesn't seem like that's taking off all that well with people. So if you don't care about the 3D it doesn't have that much of a draw. It also hurts that there aren't very many good games for it (and there weren't any on launch).

i turn the 3d feature off, i hardly ever use it. if they thought that would be the thing to save the system they were seriously mistaken.

Michael5188
10-27-2011, 12:52 AM
I don't think they had a choice--the Wii was dying--the real reason for how little they've made this year is because there's only one game coming out for Wii this year--the new Zelda game and that's it. If they didn't put out a new console they'd be going down really quick, notice how poorly they presented the Wii U. It really seems like a rush job.

I'd say developing more software would be a better rush job for money than producing a new console.

Personally I feel like they're shooting themselves in the foot by producing a 1.5 console. It really doesn't feel like a large step up, and it will take some pretty amazing games to convince people to buy it. The 3ds proves that new hardware alone doesn't make money.

KsiKsu
10-27-2011, 12:28 PM
i owned a wii 2 weeks until i sold it again.

in my opinion the high sell counts have been more surprising than the end of it.
people have to be honest, 90 % of the games are casual small party time filler.

And now with kinect, who wants to shake a joypad?

A console with ps1 graphics,
the 2nd best body control interface ( which isnt a buying argument anymore ),
almost non AAA games,
childish look dominating most games,
in the time of Battlefield 3 and Crysis 2 ?

if Nintendo hasnt seen it coming, they ve must be blind.
time for natural selection.

cheers

DuttyFoot
10-27-2011, 12:46 PM
the news doesn't get any better

Nintendo Co. (http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/quote?ticker=7974:JP), the world’s largest maker of video-game machines, forecast its first annual loss in at least 30 years after the yen reached a postwar high and the new 3DS console had weaker-than-expected sales.

The net loss (http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/quote?ticker=7974:JO) may be 20 billion yen ($264 million) for the year ending in March, compared with a previous projection for a 20 billion-yen profit, Kyoto, Japan-based Nintendo said in a statement today. That compared with the 12.2 billion-yen average profit of 22 analysts’ estimates (http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/quote?ticker=7974:JO) compiled by Bloomberg.

Nintendo, which gets (http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/quote?ticker=7974:JP) about 80 percent of its revenue from Americas and Europe, is predicting lower profit after the yen gained against the dollar and surged to a decade high against the euro, trimming the repatriated value of overseas sales. President Satoru Iwata (http://search.bloomberg.com/search?q=Satoru%20Iwata&site=wnews&client=wnews&proxystylesheet=wnews&output=xml_no_dtd&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&filter=p&getfields=wnnis&sort=date%3Cimg%20src=%22images/smilies/grin.gif%22%20border=%220%22%20alt=%22%22%20title=%22grin%22%20smilieid=%2230%22%20class=%22inlineimg%22%20/%3E:S:d1&partialfields=-wnnis:NOAVSYND&lr=-lang_ja) cut the price of the 3DS by 40 percent in August as gamers flock to Apple Inc. (http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/quote?ticker=AAPL:US)’s iPhone and iPad, and Facebook Inc.’s website.

“Nintendo faces a very harsh time now,” said Koichi Ogawa (http://search.bloomberg.com/search?q=Koichi%20Ogawa&site=wnews&client=wnews&proxystylesheet=wnews&output=xml_no_dtd&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&filter=p&getfields=wnnis&sort=date%3Cimg%20src=%22images/smilies/grin.gif%22%20border=%220%22%20alt=%22%22%20title=%22grin%22%20smilieid=%2230%22%20class=%22inlineimg%22%20/%3E:S:d1&partialfields=-wnnis:NOAVSYND&lr=-lang_ja), chief portfolio manager at Daiwa SB Investments Ltd., which manages $28 billion of assets from Tokyo. “Competition in the video-game industry is getting severe, and Nintendo must fight for customers who are using smartphones and tablets.”

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-10-27/nintendo-predicts-first-annual-loss-in-30-years-after-cutting-3ds-price.html

investors are also pushing them to release mario on the iphone. is it possible that nintendo could end up doing what sega did?

http://www.bloomberg.com/video/73817810/

archerx
10-27-2011, 06:46 PM
Eh I think they should wait and see. The DS did not explode until they replaced the phat with the lite. After that Nintendo announced the Wii, everyone laughed and said it would fail but we all know what happened.

I think they need to get their game together and the 3DS redesign better be amazing or else trouble will really start.

darthviper107
10-27-2011, 06:59 PM
There wasn't really much competition for the DS, no iPhone yet.

They're probably going to struggle with games for the Wii U since they don't really have any third-party exclusives and their own games probably won't be ready on launch. For everyone else I don't see many people choosing to get multiplatform games on the Wii U compared to Xbox and PS3, since people have their online friends already and much of the people that would buy those games already have an Xbox or PS3. For everyone else, they'll look at the price, I'm sure the Wii U will be more than an Xbox or PS3.

The only question is whether the controller gimmick is enough to get people to go for the Wii U.

Which I have my concerns about, mainly because they've said it can only support one controller.

Decency
10-27-2011, 07:44 PM
I'm just going to throw it out there... Pokemon MMO...

XeroWolf
10-27-2011, 10:18 PM
So the money printing machine has finally run out of paper.

Snooba
10-27-2011, 10:42 PM
I'm just going to throw it out there... Pokemon MMO...

I've been saying this for YEARS, and I can't believe how stupid the management at Nintendo is to not have used Pokemon and turned it into an MMO. Pokemon fans have begged for years for it, and nothing.

This game would have the power to bring trucks full of money into Nintendo, just as it happened with Blizzard and WoW, maybe even bigger than that, but they just seem to be ignoring the online world completely.

What a silly attitude when the most of the biggest money making hits are online only.

Nintendo was screwed the day the iPhone/iPad started selling well. Right now the portable market, has 4 platforms that stand out: Android, iOS, PSP/Vita, and the DS and its incarnations.

Now, the PSP/Vita is aimed to more hardcore gamers, you won't find PSP games running on iPhones or iPads, they are aimed at other crew of gamers. So Sony is rather safe for the moment, at least until hardcore games start coming out on iOS and Androids...

But the Android/iOS games and the DS, are aimed at casual gamers, and the choice is clear when to buy 45 dollar game for the DS, and (with that same money) 20 or more games for your iPhone. Chances are, you'll find a great game among those 20 you bought.

And as a friend said, there is also the matter of how many pockets your pants have. The DS are not as portable as a phone, and , why carry a DS when you already have games in a much smaller phone?

Nintendo really needs to sit down, and rethink their strategy, cause the philosophy they've been using till now its starting to fail.

DuttyFoot
10-27-2011, 11:47 PM
I've been saying this for YEARS, and I can't believe how stupid the management at Nintendo is to not have used Pokemon and turned it into an MMO. Pokemon fans have begged for years for it, and nothing.

This game would have the power to bring trucks full of money into Nintendo, just as it happened with Blizzard and WoW, maybe even bigger than that, but they just seem to be ignoring the online world completely.

What a silly attitude when the most of the biggest money making hits are online only.

Nintendo was screwed the day the iPhone/iPad started selling well. Right now the portable market, has 4 platforms that stand out: Android, iOS, PSP/Vita, and the DS and its incarnations.

Now, the PSP/Vita is aimed to more hardcore gamers, you won't find PSP games running on iPhones or iPads, they are aimed at other crew of gamers. So Sony is rather safe for the moment, at least until hardcore games start coming out on iOS and Androids...

But the Android/iOS games and the DS, are aimed at casual gamers, and the choice is clear when to buy 45 dollar game for the DS, and (with that same money) 20 or more games for your iPhone. Chances are, you'll find a great game among those 20 you bought.

And as a friend said, there is also the matter of how many pockets your pants have. The DS are not as portable as a phone, and , why carry a DS when you already have games in a much smaller phone?

Nintendo really needs to sit down, and rethink their strategy, cause the philosophy they've been using till now its starting to fail.

maybe all the nintendo gamers need to bombard them with emails since they don't have a clue, the same old tactics will not work in this market.

Syndicate
10-28-2011, 12:18 AM
My suggestions for Nintendo:

1. Focus on new innovative games instead of milking the same IP's to death
2. Allow complete backward compatibility and (<$2) retro games downloads for Wii & DS
3. Remove the $5000 developer fee and make it simple to develop for nintendo - while keeping the strict approval process for their own games
4. Embrace the iphone and release games on it. Leave exclusives to Wii & DS
5. Work with Unity/Adobe to allow indie games to be ported to Wii & DS with ease.

The whole problem is that Nintendo want to be known for "fun" and "entertainment" but there's a big business called "Creativity" which Nintendo doesn't offer any solution for.

mustique
10-28-2011, 09:53 AM
Not too shaby games at $1-$10 on a device you already own...
Android & iOS will kill Nintendo and the PSP too.
Probably even consoles in the near future.

JoshBowman
10-28-2011, 11:19 PM
I think this applies:

Link (http://www.thephoenixprinciple.com/blog/2011/10/better-faster-cheaper-is-not-innovation-kodak-and-microsoft.html)

DuttyFoot
10-29-2011, 06:47 AM
i doubt this will help much

Nintendo's eShop plans: premium DLC, game demos, smartphone shopping, relevancy

Nintendo's latest earnings report may be a litany of woe (http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/27/nintendo-posts-first-half-loss-in-earnings-report-slashes-forec/), but at least the outfit's semi-annual financial results briefing bore good news: the 3DS eShop (http://www.engadget.com/tag/eShop/) is about to get a kick in the pants. Today's 3DS store gets the job done, but it's hampered by disorganized categories, limited accessibility, and poor download management. Want something better? It's on the way -- a late November update is slated to bring "sleep mode" background downloading to the fledgling console, and opens the door for publishers to release in-game premium DLC (http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/01/nintendo-3ds-titles-to-get-in-game-purchasing-later-this-year/) and "limited-play" demos. Nintendo is even taking steps to address the handheld's lousy shopping experience, announcing a companion website where users will be able to browse the eShop from a PC or smartphone. Eventually 3DS owners will be able to buy content directly from the eShop website, but at launch shoppers will need to scan a QR code (http://www.engadget.com/tag/QRcode/) with the handheld to make a purchase. It's not a perfect plan, but at least it's a start. Baby steps Nintendo, baby steps.

darthviper107
10-29-2011, 07:03 AM
What they really need to do is get a real multiplayer network together. They really should have had something for the Wii--then when the Wii U comes out it would have been much improved. But considering that online multiplayer is almost non existent on Nintendo systems, they are way far behind.

Online is probably what will keep the Xbox 360 and PS3 going so long.

Ryusaki
10-30-2011, 06:01 PM
Not too shaby games at $1-$10 on a device you already own...
Android & iOS will kill Nintendo and the PSP too.
Probably even consoles in the near future.
No they wont, as long as there are no analog sticks and buttons on the phone they have no chance. Like somebody above mentioned, the psp and vita is aimed at the hardcore gamer, and as long as it is technically impossible to control a decent action game with a touchscreen only, it wont happen.
Sure they constantly eat away the casual market, but a real gamer doesn't giva flying f*** about casual games.
And a game which costs 1-10$ can never be in the same class as an triple A console game ported on the Vita.

Syndicate
10-30-2011, 10:30 PM
Apple have already Patented a "game-jacket" for iphone and its just a matter of time before it is sold as an option. I believe they havent done so yet because the iphone5 will be a bit of a redesign.
Add to this the fact that Apple is also entering the TV market, and this will most likely make use of the iphone/ipad in a way that WiiU had attempted.
It will happen, the question is will Nintendo partner with Apple to develop for it. Personally I think Nintendo are too proud to admit defeat, and they will sue to try and stay afloat.

Sometimes I feel sad for Nintendo, but to be honest they put off so many amazing developers because their model is completely unreasonable and barely profitable.
I know because I have worked for 3 games companies, all of which dropped Wii and DS dev because of the red tape and the piss-poor SDK.

hardware joysticks for iphone/ipad:
(Fling)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqSfvZj7s7c&feature=player_embedded#! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqSfvZj7s7c&feature=player_embedded#%21)
This is just the first of many innovations.

In the same way that musicians dont need a label to be successful, (we) developers don't need publishers nearly as much as we used to. Now its a case of publishers needing us.

fahr
11-01-2011, 02:26 PM
Heh... I love reading about how completely doomed Nintendo is because they posted a loss for the FIRST TIME EVER for the company.

Nintendo has been making money hand over fist for decades, even during the gamecube days (which is considered to be a failed console, overall). Agreed, the gaming landscape has changed radically over the past few years, so they may very well be doomed if they don't adapt, but I'm inclined to give these guys the benefit of the doubt for at least a year or two before thinking something as ludicrous as nintendo going 3rd party is a good idea...

fahr
11-01-2011, 02:41 PM

Not that I don't think a Pokemon MMO would be a success, but do you have any idea how many MMOs have been spectacular failures versus the number that have actually succeeded?? Look into it.

You say Sony is safe because they cater to the hardcore. On the contrary, I believe Sony is in DEEP SHIT with the Vita. No truly standout exclusives, and the games that do look good are spinoffs of console titles, which hasn't really been a model of breakout success for the PSP.

AAA Western developers have largely shunned portable gaming, and Japan is almost certainly going to favor the 3ds over the vita unless sony can shore up a key exclusive or two. Right now in the east, the 3ds will see a new Mario platformer, a new Mario kart, and a new Monster Hunter. Each of these have the potential to sell MILLIONS in Japan alone. The Vita currently has no such prospects.

The argument for the Iphone/Ipad market is valid. It's encroaching on Nintendo/Sony's market whether they want to admit it or not. But I believe Nintendo is in a stronger position to fight Apple off than Sony based on the strength of their gaming catalog.

Mock Mario all you want, but look at the sales. Pokemon, Mario platformers and Mario Kart sell TENS OF MILLIONS of units each. They're up there with the Call of Duty and GTA franchises. they're still relevent, and they are not on the iphone.

darthviper107
11-01-2011, 04:02 PM
Heh... I love reading about how completely doomed Nintendo is because they posted a loss for the FIRST TIME EVER for the company.

Nintendo has been making money hand over fist for decades, even during the gamecube days (which is considered to be a failed console, overall). Agreed, the gaming landscape has changed radically over the past few years, so they may very well be doomed if they don't adapt, but I'm inclined to give these guys the benefit of the doubt for at least a year or two before thinking something as ludicrous as nintendo going 3rd party is a good idea...

I think there was a stat--this is the worst year Nintendo has ever had, it does mean something. And they're just in a position where things can easily go bad.

fahr
11-01-2011, 04:24 PM
I think there was a stat--this is the worst year Nintendo has ever had, it does mean something. And they're just in a position where things can easily go bad.

Agreed. I think it's just a little early to start saying Nintendo should start making iphone games, that's all. The 3ds has been on the uptick since the price drop, and Nintendo has some heavy hitters lined up for the holiday season, a season they traditionally do very well with.

If 3ds sales are still abysmal come January, I may start agreeing with many of the doomsayers in this thread.

darthviper107
11-01-2011, 04:27 PM
I honestly think it would be a terrible decision to put out their games on iPhone. What they need to do is create good games and new IP's and try to get more third party developers making exclusives. The games will make the system successful.

DuttyFoot
11-01-2011, 05:45 PM
I honestly think it would be a terrible decision to put out their games on iPhone. What they need to do is create good games and new IP's and try to get more third party developers making exclusives. The games will make the system successful.

you couldn't be more right

CGTalk Moderation
11-01-2011, 05:45 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.