PDA

View Full Version : Dusk over sci fi city - Digi-matte concept

Vollands
10-26-2011, 11:10 AM
Hello,

This is my first real attempt at a matte painting, and I'd be grateful for any feedback on the overall concept, mood and composition. The original file is 6k in width, and needs a lot of clean up in the fine details in order for it be final. However, before doing any of that finishing work, it would be great to have any input at this stage from the professional matte painters out there.

Thank you very much in advance,

Dave

JJASSO
10-28-2011, 10:19 PM
looks good, it would be better if you upload a bigger image, my only comment so far would be that the city lights need to be brighter, more intense windows on the city in general, nice mood !

gitchas
10-29-2011, 11:01 AM
I think sky should be little darker because your foreground is dark. Your mid ground towers need some bounce light.

Just like huge light signboard on front tower may be you can put similar light signboards on some of the mid ground towers as well. This is just a suggestion:-)

Overall composition is awesome:-)

Girish

Fanko
10-29-2011, 02:40 PM
I think the lighting and composition is lovely. But as a design, the big rectangle shaped building in the foreground doesn't seem to fit with the rest in landscape.

Vollands
10-31-2011, 05:05 PM
Jaime, Girish, Franklin,

Thank you very much for taking the time to give comments on my work, this kind of feedback is really valuable.

Girish, when you say that the mid ground towers need some bounce light, which light source do you mean; is it the green light from the trench, or from the sunset? I wondered about this myself, the green light could potentially have a greater range and falloff.

Hi Franklin, thanks for your feedback. I was aiming to suggest the zoning of different architectural styles, with rounded buildings on one side of the trench, and more linear forms on the other. I guess I was thinking of the London skyline, with the rounded 'Gherkin' building sitting next to some more conventional 'boxy' buildings (because the skyline is the result of many different designers). You're right in that I could have been more adventurous with the central tower silhouette though.

Thanks a lot for your help, I'm really grateful! :thumbsup:

gitchas
10-31-2011, 07:11 PM
Hi David, If you look at the sky it is not so dark but your towers are dark in the left side. I am not quite sure it happens in real life unless the buildings are in darker/black texture. Either you darken your sky little bit or lighten your towers left side, it might help your overall comp and gives you more depth.

Girish

CGTalk Moderation
10-31-2011, 07:11 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.