PDA

View Full Version : Nuke Playback Trouble

topobakan
10-25-2011, 12:38 AM
Hello, I'm new to this forum and I would like to learn a lot and give my knowledge.

I am using nuke some time now I see it is very powerful. but I have a big problem. if I use a full HD file I can not play the right way. I understand that nuke does not use the ram to load the cache and saves the cache on the HDD. I also understand that the bigger is my tree slower is the process of reproduction. but I do not understand that having only the original footage try to play 500 frames and took 5 minutes to load everything in the cache. Nor do I have a slow computer. my pc has a 3.47 GHz i7 extremme, Western Digital 1TB Hard Drive 64MB SATA3 Caviar Black 7200 rpm, 24 gigs ram an i use win 7 64 bit. The problem also is that when the machine finishes all the hard disk cache and play again continues to see slow and not all at the rated speed as if the software is caching all again. I do not understand. attached my settings of preferences

http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/6323/nukepreference.jpg

I've thought about buying another HDD of the same features and make a RAID but I read that does not improve the speed of preview. Now I keep the cache on the same hard drive where I have installed the operating system, is it better to keep to another disk cache exclusively for that? (RAID) or RAID and I work all there, the system and the Cache?

I honestly do not think this problem is common if the software is so spectacular. I swear I want to use Nuke best but this problem is very foolish.

GRATEFUL to heart any guide or advice I could give.

Sorry for my English but it is not my native language, I hope you understand all the questions raised in this post.

thak for all!

Gonzalo

By topobakan (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/topobakan) at 2011-10-24

pingking
10-25-2011, 07:45 PM
there is nothing wrong with your machine, its really that your HDD isnt fast enough to pull out 24fps of HD material. a raid would help to read the footage faster, but it wont help with the computation of the tree. if you put all your footage and your disk cache on the raid you should see some speed improvment.

also, its a design thing. nuke was never planned as a realtime playback application. normally you spend hours/days on tweaking your shot and make a flipbook or render here and there to see the progress

topobakan
10-25-2011, 10:45 PM
Pinking hello, thanks for your answer. from what I understand you say that with a RAID could do better. My question is whether the capture of cache is affected by is in the same system disk?

Usually I do not work such long sequences. I know that software design is made of the way you tell me. I never expected to have realtime, but I hope to capture faster cache and make it more equivalent to the software that captures in RAM like fusion or after.

thank you very much for your response

cheers

Gonzalo

CGTalk Moderation
10-25-2011, 10:45 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.