PDA

View Full Version : Animation: Ultraviolent Trailer

Shade01
11-09-2003, 06:59 AM
Hi, this is a short trailer for my film I've been working on for pretty much the whole year. It's 20 megs, and you will need Divx 3.11 or later to view it.

Ultraviolent Trailer (http://www.ecreativityworks.com/ultraviolent/dl/uvtrailer2.avi)

http://www.ecreativityworks.com/ultraviolent/sneak.jpg

projectcoil
11-09-2003, 07:29 AM
Looks real good. The music is excellent as well. Can't wait. :thumbsup:

Rickmeister
11-09-2003, 08:52 AM
Realy nice work. can you tell me what program u used, and wich kind of plugins...

cant wait to see the final

Freebooter
11-09-2003, 09:12 AM
Hey Shade,

Looks real good. Looking forward to seeing the final thing.

Just one wee crit...

In the second shot, with the city (beautiful) the birds look like they are appearing magically in midair, it kinda detracts form the overall impression a bit, other than that, like I said, I really like it.

Congrats.

xtrm3d
11-09-2003, 11:38 AM
again .. have to say that i really like it ..and expect your animation to com out really soon.. !!
bravo..
the music is cool too :beer:

Pi3141
11-09-2003, 12:43 PM
Brilliant work Shade, I look so forward to your film comming out soon :beer:

VerticalVertex
11-09-2003, 01:02 PM
a masterpice

Shaykai
11-09-2003, 06:06 PM
That was one of the worst trailers i've seen. I was sooooo pumped up for it! I mean its called "ultraviolent" and it had NO action shots. What is motivating me to see the final product? To see a girl sing? I really liked the look of the whole piece, but the editing and lack of action shots really sucked :( Good lip sync though. Also i love the swat guys mask and how it opens up. I WANT ACTION!

Shaykai:thumbsup:

SilentNoise
11-09-2003, 06:25 PM
Personally I have to agree with Shaykai on this one. Because of the title, I thought there'd be some cool action stuff going on in there.
Overall though, it looks pretty decent decent so far, and I'm looking forward to seeing the final product.

A couple things that I'll nit-pick about is: 1) the jerkiness of her mouth movement while she's singing (I noticed on the monitor on the building that it looked pretty smooth when you're looking straight on at her, but from the side it looks pretty jerky), and 2) personally I would've randomized the SWAT guys when they're all sitting on that bench, closing up their masks - just so it didn't look so unified and choreographed.

Shade01
11-09-2003, 06:27 PM
Thanks for the comments guys! I forgot to mention, I use Lightwave and After Effects.

That was one of the worst trailers i've seen. I was sooooo pumped up for it! I mean its called "ultraviolent" and it had NO action shots. What is motivating me to see the final product? To see a girl sing? I really liked the look of the whole piece, but the editing and lack of action shots really sucked :( Good lip sync though. Also i love the swat guys mask and how it opens up. I WANT ACTION!

Sorry to have dissapointed you so:) I actually meant to call it a teaser as opposed to a trailer, it isn't really meant to show any action yet. I'm working on a full trailer with action scenes, but those scenes take much longer than the none action scenes to complete. I also need to line up some studio time to do some voice recording.

This teaser :p comes after having talked at length about what I'm doing in this other thread, which also shows how many of the shots were put together:

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=67683

Shaykai
11-09-2003, 07:02 PM
I love the city shots BTW. You have a unique style. I guess the reason i was so harsh before was because i wanted to push this project to the very best it could be. It looks like it will be a great animation. But i still think it needs more action :)

Shaykai

[edit]
"The film is planned to be 90 minutes long"
DUDE!!! Thats insane! Total props to you :) i really really really am looking forward to this :)

[edit]
I also wanted to say that i love your logo animation in the beginning.

[edit]
AHHHH! I gotta stop reading that thread u linked us to. I'm getting too pumped for this!!!

Infinity3d4life
11-09-2003, 11:33 PM
Loved it.. I have been following your work since your first post about this.. I can not wait to see what you have in store for us shade... KUTGW:buttrock:

TheGreenGiant
11-10-2003, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by Shaykai
That was one of the worst trailers i've seen. I

nice. real nice.

* trailer comment now that I've seen it. Looks really nice. 90 minutes? You crazy??! (in a good way that is). Personally, I really liked the cel-shading, you can never have enough cel-shading..

The city shot is quite well done, very Japanesey and yet the camera move and the 2d background moves like cel-art. Cool

I think the lipsyncing is a bit funny though. Work on this! Look like it's going to be very awesome.

:applause:

Fasty
11-10-2003, 05:50 AM
Argh 20 meg? :( Anything a little more dialup friendly?

Shaykai
11-10-2003, 11:19 AM
I think everyone is not understanding what my previous post meant by "thats the worst trailer i've ever seen." Think about it, if this wasn't CG, and you saw it on TV, you would be a bit bored with it no? I just think the editing could be sped up a bit, and more action shots put into it. Just a suggestion. Maybe go to www.gmunk.com for some editing ideas. He manages to make the mundane, exciting. I apologize for whoever took my comment wrong, but since your putting your heart and soul into this i think you should get the best and most honest critiques to push your work to the next level.

Shaykai

ChrisArt
11-10-2003, 02:22 PM
The quality of the trailer isnt bas visually, but the way it is set up is horrible. A trailer is about showing small fast clips of the coolest parts of the movie while telling the audience what its all about. This trailer didnt leave me a message about what its about and rather looked boring than interesting.

The two first segments was to damn long, 35 seconds displaying your logo and almost another 35 showing us the first sign is to damn much. Try going under 10 seconds per clip with text in between and a voice that tells a brief part about the story. Get at least some action shots either trough the whole thing or at the end where you really blow the audience away with 4 - 6 very fast clips where there is nothing but action and explotions.

Well this is just a trailer so im looking forward to the movie cous the quality isnt bad.

KolbyJukes
11-10-2003, 04:08 PM
it seems like you tacked a lot of render/animation tests together. A very oddly paced and composed trailer.

Still, I dig the cel shading.

-Kol

Gibbo
11-10-2003, 04:45 PM
Hello,

Great stuff by the way!

I realise you said this was more of a sneak peek than a trailer, nevertheless, take a look at this trailer for the first Matrix movie. (http://whatisthematrix.warnerbros.com/cmp/theatrical-qt.html)

As far as trailers for action films go, this is near perfect as far as editing and timing, weight of shot and use of dialogue is concerned.

I always use it as a point of reference whenever i want to do edit an action sequence together. Love or hate the film, i hope you agree this trailer makes you wanna watch it.

Check it out!!!

JPPLAY
11-10-2003, 10:33 PM
The download down. Can any one mirror it so I can see it.

Shade01
11-11-2003, 12:48 AM
Teaser should be back up in about 5 min. I'm uploading an updated version. There's no major changes for anyone that already downloaded it, I just tightened up the editing, fixed a couple of mistakes, improved about 2 seconds of footage and subtly shifted the tint of the trailer.

Shade01
11-11-2003, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by Fasty
Argh 20 meg? :( Anything a little more dialup friendly?

The previous trailer was only 6 megs but then everyone complained that there was no animation :D

MikaelPersson
11-11-2003, 04:09 PM
Nice work shade,
a bit harshly put previously, but the editing isn't doing your 3D justice. In general everything should be cut down. Maybe rethink the whole trailer edit.
My first thought after watching this would be to have that woman singing showing through the whole piece. But having brief cuts from all the other enviornments inbetween, heartbeats, not longer.
Then you would have to polish her lipsynch a bit more though.

A few other minor thoughts would be:
When those military/police officers are walking forward crouched. Your weight and balancing needs work.
It is a really strange parallax effect in the opening scene when you are showing the town. The sky behind the buildings shouldn't be moving that much. They should move slightly more than them but not much more.
If I echo the other posters too, the logos and signs should be cut down drastically.

Now that I've only concentrated on the pieces needing work, I should add a few words of praise. The ambience you create is really nice. I like the lighting, celshading, textures, models.
I do hope you keep us posted.

cheers,
Mikael

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.