PDA

View Full Version : Mechanical/Low Poly: Laser Turret

dave_baer
11-09-2003, 05:36 AM
Hi all. Just finished my latest. It's a try at some low polys and texture painting. C&C is welcome, but I'm not looking for anything specific, so you make the choice. :D

http://www.brainswell.com/images/3d/mechanical/Turrett.jpg

fresh27
11-09-2003, 05:39 AM
maybe drop a few polies from the top (doesnt have to be that round :D), and add some more detail to the base.

dave_baer
11-09-2003, 05:45 AM
Actually, I had to up the polys in the top because what I had before made the yellow stripe circles look like hexagons.

I wanted to keep it as simplistic as possible, but I guess I could put something else there to break up the plain concrete. What kind of detail in the lower half would you suggest?

thorn3d
11-10-2003, 06:04 AM
Have to say it doesn't do much for me... there's no common design element (texturing nor shape) between the base, barrels, and main housing. Even the side and top of the housing appear to be painted by 2 different people, with different ideas on the final product.

On a side note, from a "real life" perspective: one would only have to duck the laser fire, as there appear to be no vertical swiveling abilities.

thorn

dave_baer
11-10-2003, 04:52 PM
OK. I dropped the polycount on it from 3096 to 1016.

On a side note, from a "real life" perspective: one would only have to duck the laser fire, as there appear to be no vertical swiveling abilities.

So that's why those little bastards kept blowing up the base! :D

Good point. Will work on that. As for the textures, I thought the blueing would tie it all together. Perhaps it's too subtle in the base?

Thanks guys. Although... wow.. 307 views and only four people replied. Again. Either it sucks so much that nobody cares to reply or I did such a great job that nobody else has any comments. Seems you have to do some really kick ass stuff for people to reply to your thread. Kinda makes me not want to post anymore threads. :shrug:

Garma
11-10-2003, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by dave_baer
OK. I dropped the polycount on it from 3096 to 1016.

Still very much for an in-game turret.. Did you update the image above? because the wire in there shows that you indeed have way too much polies. You should put the polies in nifty details which you can't texture

Mindkontrol
11-10-2003, 05:07 PM
Yeah i would have to agree that you should drop some iterations from the top of the turret and add some more details to the base...Even just a simple edge champfer would add alot to the model...You could prolly go down to like 12 segments on the top of turret and just throw in some smoothing groups...

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.