PDA

View Full Version : Environment: Robotics Lab

Cosmic Fool
11-09-2003, 03:59 AM
Hey all.

I know a lot of you have been following my robotics lab thread on the WIP forum (Robotics Lab (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=96348)) For those of you who haven't seen that thread, I started off by posting a single object I modelled for the scene, and posted my progress for the entire 5 weeks that I worked on it. I figured I may as well post the "final" image here.

I say "final" because although that was the image I had handed in for the project, I still want to come back to this scene at some point and finish off a few things. I've spent well over 200 hours on this, and I think I could easily spend another 100 re-working things.

Anyway, I hope you like it.

http://www.shinynewmachine.com/projects/lab/week5/lab-final.jpg

After only a day off, I'm already starting on my next scene, which I'll be posting soon.

11-09-2003, 05:09 AM
Great work man!
cuz the mornitor was sucks so i didn't see it clearly on wednesday.
now i just realize how nice is it... cool!

Yan

JPPLAY
11-09-2003, 05:30 AM
Very Intresting piece. One thing though is the control panel I feel needs more detail.

PsychoSilence
11-09-2003, 10:36 AM
this is an amazing work you did !

really like those "ooze"-jars standing around !

whis is missing is a mad professor od engineer operating the panels...

woadiestyol
11-09-2003, 04:24 PM
I really like the way you've made all of those components come together. I saw the WIP thread and it your scene looked a bit unorganized at first, but you've managed to really unify it.

inaktive
11-09-2003, 05:15 PM
wow.... really nice dude :buttrock:

when most people are using the glow they overdue it... but the way you incorporated it looks phenominal!

great job!

wires maybe?

jdsb
11-09-2003, 05:29 PM
looks awesome :)
:beer:

leigh
11-09-2003, 08:01 PM
Nice modelling! I think the one thing that kinda lets this scene down a bit is the lighting. You have a lot of potential ways of influencing the lighting which you haven't used, particularly the glowing green stuff everywhere. You should have incorporated that into the lighting somehow - I think it would have helped to create an atmosphere that is a little more interesting and also perhaps a little creepy.
I always find warehouses and workshops a bit scary, especially when they are empty, so I am kinda looking for something in this image that would make me feel that way :)

sad
11-09-2003, 10:00 PM
nice details but i have to agree with leigh, you could have made more out of it by a different lighting. i think it could help to darken it a bit.

Bingo Little
11-09-2003, 10:20 PM
All you have to do is to turn down a bit the main light/lights. You have sifficient number of secondary light sources, and within an environment of reduced ambience they'll come out. Do not worry, you will not lose details of the excellent modelling :) In fact, you can make the lighting more dramatic without greatly reducing the level of ambience if you want to -- just add a tint to your main set of lights (be it blue or red), and you'll immediately trick the eye of the observer into believing that the scene is actually darker than it is :) But I'd try initially with turning down the multiplier of the main light set. You have enough bleeding from the secondary sources to get a great result. Finally, you may try putting a light (or several lights) with low multiplyer behind the... well.... that thing on the wall in the left part of the image :) With reduced main lights output you'll get some nicely dramatic contre effect.

And yes, the modelling looks great!

TheGreenGiant
11-09-2003, 10:33 PM
ditto what Leigh said.. Also, some of the textures you use seem to repeat a bit (walls for instance).. by obscuring/darkening the room, you'll bring out that glow effect more and it'll look way cooler too. That green stuff should be less solid looking and more liquidy (maybe some bubbles - graduations in colour?)

There's also something about the composition of the shot that gets me.. I think its because there's no focus - wherelse the focus should be on that huge machine on the left. Lighting will definitely help!

as is, good work! 200 hours?! good work

yangmiemie
11-10-2003, 10:10 AM
:applause:

yangmiemie
11-10-2003, 02:55 PM
would you pls tell me how to create the material of the green liquid?

glenrm
11-11-2003, 04:42 AM
Is to have the Hulk rampage in and smash open a few jars, or perhaps more fluid like substances coming out of the various containers. Great work :thumbsup:

TravisIncognito
11-11-2003, 05:49 AM
I think this looks awesome. Kinda cartoony, but I like that style.

Cosmic Fool
11-12-2003, 02:45 PM
Thanks for the comments and suggestions everyone. I'll keep them in mind for when I start working on this thing again in the New Year.

JPPLAY: Uhh... what control panel?

PsychoSilence: The assignment I was doing this for required a set only. I will be working on a character for this scene sometime next month, and later next year, I will be doing some animations with him and this scene.

inaktive: I keep promising people wireframes, but haven't had the time to render one out yet. I'll post one up as soon as I get the chance though.

Leigh: Thanks Leigh. I don't know if you saw my WIP thread or not, but I posted a few lighting tests in it, including one lit only by the green tubes. I just ran out of time though, and didn't have a chance to further work on the lighting. As it was, I STARTED texturing this thing the day before it was due. I was under the impression that I had an extra week to work on it. :| Oh well. Live and learn.

TheGreenGiant: You know what? I had planned on adding bubbles to all the tubes, but I guess it just slipped my mind. The tube on the far right has them though. I realise there isn't a definate focus in the scene. Lighting would have really helped that. The assignment was to model a set, and I was just trying to show off as much as possible with this render.

yangmiemie: Basically it's just a glass material with a green colour, and an output map to let it give off light.

Thanks again everyone. I'll try and post a wireframe tonight, and maybe an untextured, unlit view as well.

TheRow
11-12-2003, 03:30 PM
Wow... just one question.. how many polys?

Keep on it and u will make it big... :wip:

Cosmic Fool
11-13-2003, 11:16 PM
Thanks Row :) The final poly count was around 960,000 polygons.

Sorry I'm being so tardy with the wireframe and other renders guys. It's been a busy week. I'll get them up tomorrow for sure.

Cosmic Fool
11-14-2003, 04:13 AM
Turns out I had some free time tonight, so I made a couple more renders of this scene. Nothing fancy though, just a non-textured view:

http://www.shinynewmachine.com/projects/lab/week5/lab-final-notex.jpg

I never realised how extreme my lighting was until now. The textures really absorbed a lot of light.

and a wireframe:

http://www.shinynewmachine.com/projects/lab/week5/lab-final-wire.jpg

I'm going to try and do some photoshopping to the final image and see if I can come up with anything interesting this weekend.

I'll keep you posted.

yangmiemie
11-21-2003, 08:00 AM
thx......

weakerthan
01-14-2004, 09:59 PM
Cosmic Fool, it's nice to see another Canuck! You're a student: are you in Sheridan College's animation program?
Only problem, though, is I cannot see any image... just a tiny icon but not the actual scene. Is anyone else here having that same problem?
thanx

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.