PDA

View Full Version : Vehicle: Personal flyer

MaxxQ
11-08-2003, 10:40 PM
Well, I hope this is okay to post here, since it's not modelled with a full version program.

Anyway, this is my first model ever, aside from tutorials. Modelled in gMax, which has certain limitations, as I'm sure you're all aware. No rendering, no shadows, etc.

The flyer was based on a ship in a poster I had bought while stationed in England about 18 years ago. The poster art was painted by Barry Lepard. I liked the pinched body and engine pods in his artwork, as well as the intake at the nose and the long, sloping canopy.

I'm currently concentrating on modeling, which is the reason there are no textures - just basic materials, with a few tweaks. (Not to mention the fact that I still need to purchase and learn Photoshop). Time spent was about 80 hours, but that included a lot of searching and reading the help files and restarting bits and pieces several times, as well as experimenting with different methods available.

The basic mesh weighs in at 12,858 polys - smoothing (2 iterations) bumps it up to 207, 496. If I had known better, I could have reduced that a lot - I went a bit overboard when making the compressor blades, and by the time I realized how heavy it was, I was getting tired of the model and just decided to leave it. There's no interior, and I doubt I will ever model on for this paticular model. I may later on when my skills have improved, but for now, I'll leave it as is. I'm aware of the pinching around the canopy, as well as some problems around the leading edge of the wings at the wing/body joint.

C&C's are welcome, but please keep it to just the modeling, and possibly the lighting, although I'm not too concerned with it right now. Sorry for the size - that darn 20k limit.;) I'll put up larger images later (if necessary) when I get my website up and running.

MaxxQ
11-08-2003, 10:42 PM
Another angle:

MaxxQ
11-08-2003, 10:43 PM
And a shaded wire:

leigh
11-08-2003, 11:33 PM
Well, it's not bad at all for your first model :)

You do have some (probably) unnecessary geometry (aside from the examples you mentioned) that I have scribbled on below with the squiggly lines.

Your biggest problem is the way in which you've pulled the polys on the sides - I know the pic is a bit small but if you look closely you can see where I have indicated in red where your polys should ideally flow. You should never just take points and pull them like that - it ruins the flow of the model.

And yeah, your overall poly count is very, very high for what this is, but modelling conservatively is something that simply comes with more practice.

So yeah, I'm sure you learned a lot while modelling this - I hope my crits helped somewhat... I'm more of a texturing artist than a modeler though :)

Good luck for your next model :)

MaxxQ
11-09-2003, 12:17 AM
Thanks for the crits, Leigh.

I understand what you're referring to w/regards to the squiggles, but I'm not quite getting what you mean about "pulling points". The wing was extruded from the side of the flyer after cutting new edges to form the cross-section (just to give you an idea of how I did it). If by pulling points you mean moving vertices around, well, yeah, I had a little of that going on as I was having trouble getting a smooth blend at the wing/body junction (look at the leading edge strakes for an F-16 for an idea of what I was going for). I probably spent about 8 or 9 hours just trying to get it to look right, then finally just decided I had it as good as I was going to get, considering my limited knowledge and tools.

Oh, does the line across the wing mean I should cut edges across it?

Ironic how a texture artist responds to a guy who isn't concerned about textures yet. :thumbsup:

leigh
11-09-2003, 12:33 AM
If by pulling points you mean moving vertices around

Yep, that's what I mean :)

Oh, does the line across the wing mean I should cut edges across it?

Ideally yeah, especially if it was going to be mapped for textures, since the way it is right now could possibly cause some texture distortion. I know you aren't going to be texturing it, but these are things that should always be kept in mind anyway :)

Ironic how a texture artist responds to a guy who isn't concerned about textures yet.

Well, I do the bit of modelling on the side from time to time ;)

MaxxQ
11-09-2003, 12:45 AM
Gotcha! Thanks alot!

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.